Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Delivery Status Notofication

Regular Visitor

Delivery Status Notofication

Recently, I received a Delivery Status Notification of an Email that was not able to be sent.  The porblem is, I did not send it and the Email address was one I was not familiar with and not in my address book.  It also has an attachment with it that says Credit Card Processing....  I did not open it and just deleted the Email.  I am now wondering if it could be a bug that tries to attach itself to a persons address book and go out as being sent by me.  With Norton, Spy Hunter and McAffee, why does this still happen???  Thank you for your time.

Also, I am getting more and more Spam on my Comcast account, never did in the past.

Norton Expert

Re: Delivery Status Notofication

Hello ,

Does that email appear in your "Sent Items" folder? If not, you need not have to worry as your email account is safe. Your email address has been used by spammers to send email as if sent from your address, usually accomplished by forging an emails headers with your address. It does not necessarily mean it was sent from your email account and there is no effective way to stop spammers from using your email address. Otherwise, someone else's system with your email address in their address book was compromised and all other addresses was harvested by a virus or worm for use as sending spam.

Harry

Norton Support

Official Employee

Just because the messages aren't in the Sent Folder on his email client does *not* mean the account is safe.  It's entirely possible the email account was compromised and used to send messages from a separate transaction.  If the NDR has a full message attached, review the headers in that message (or post them here, clean out your email address to protect your address) and we can look at them.

If you're worried that your account has been compromised, change your password to something new, and more complex.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

The header on the message is pasted below.  I click on it, against my better judgement and it

tries to open, but then goes back to the initial Email.  The Email is not present in my sent file and just comes across as a failed attempt.....

from--Mail.chcalico               delivery status notification. 

The Email that it supposidly went to is my last name, a different first initial and a gmail account.

I hope that it was just a random gremlin.   Thank you for your help.

Ⅽreⅾit Card Processⅰng 1.59% Per Swⅰpe (3.2 K
Regular Visitor

Norton says not to worry and you say otherwise.  Hmmmm.  Years ago, I received an Email from a friend and it looked like one that was originally sent to her from her Dad.  So, I opened it and it was a bug.  Her Dad had never sent it and neither did she.  So, I was thinking that this one was that same, that it was a bug that hopped on the Email address list and went out like that. 

Well, I think I will just keep a close eye on future Emails and go from there.  I appreciate your help.

Thank you so much for your time.

Chris

Regular Visitor

Hi, I may have already answered this.....been busy, talking about this prob.  So, not sure.  Anyhow, it does not appear in my sent folder.  I had an incident like this a few years ago.  It seemed to have been forwarded by a friend originally from her Dad.  I opened it and was bugged.  In talking to her, she had not sent anyone anything and knew nothing of the Email from her Dad.  Oh well, I paid dearly to have my computer fixed. 

The thing that was weird about this recent Email was that it supposidly was from someone with my same last name, but different first initial and with gmail.

I was just concerned, however, and did not want a replay from some time ago.

Thank you for your help..