Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Delete on the Road but Save at Home

New Poster

Delete on the Road but Save at Home

I have Comcast e-mail on both my tablet (iPad) and my home desktop (the same account).

I was away for two weeks, read e-mail while away through the tablet, deleted items as I read so they wouldn't accumulate, and just thought I'd reply to the ones I wanted to reply to once I got home. However, when I got back, what I deleted from the tablet deleted from the desktop ... and wasn't in Trash on either device so they couldn't be recovered.

How can I adjust my settings so that items I delete on my tablet are NOT deleted from my desktop?

Thanks.

Email Expert

Re: Delete on the Road but Save at Home

The default protocol for Comcast is now IMAP, and the default behavior is that whatever you do to an email on any device with the account enabled on it is reflected on any other device with the account on it.  So what you are describing is normal assuming both the tablet and the desktop client are both configured to use IMAP.

To do what you want, all you need to do is copy an email into a local folder on either device.  That way if you delete it in the Inbox in either of them you still have the copy  in the local folder.  But it depends on which client you are using.  Not all allow you to copy, and you may have to just move it rather than delete it.  I use Mac Mail and I can either move or copy an email to another folder.

Another option would be to revert to using POP3 on both devices.  The problem with that is that it only works on the Inbox folder, so you don't have universal access to local folders on all devices.  In POP3 you can tell the client to leave a copy on the server.     So you could delete an email on the tablet and it would still be on the server so you would still see it when you fire up the desktop.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Delete on the Road but Save at Home

Thanks for the explanation - not what I hoped for but now I, at least, understand.