Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Could not send message due to invalid address(es)

New Poster

I receive the above messages when sending to a group on my email contact list

Email Expert

Re: Could not send message due to invalid address(es)

Take a look at the addresses in that group, and see if there are any typos for one thing.  But it could also be that someone has closed their email account or just changed the email address and the old one is no good.  But the last time I had a similar problem, the group message went out to all but the one who's address was incorrect.  And on that one I just got a typical mailer daemon bounce on it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

If you post the complete error message which should have numbers in it, we could better tell if the issue was an incorrect email address in the Group or something else.  Do remove the beginning portion of any email addresses in the error message when posting it please.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Bronze Problem Solver

Latoque wrote:

Take a look at the addresses in that group, and see if there are any typos for one thing.  But it could also be that someone has closed their email account or just changed the email address and the old one is no good.  But the last time I had a similar problem, the group message went out to all but the one who's address was incorrect.  And on that one I just got a typical mailer daemon bounce on it.

You're kinda talking apples and oranges there. What you describe is about the recipient server refusing an email after Comcast has accepted it and then tried to deliver it. What he's talking about is the Comcast server refusing an address. It could be about an invalid Comcast address, an invalid email domain, a DNS problem, or about a syntax/invalid character problem with the email address. In those cases there won't be a bounce message, and most email clients and Comcast webmail will just give up at that point, and none of the intended recipients will receive the email.

New Poster

I believe you're right. When I set up the group I added the members one by one and what happened is this eg:

Joe Schmoe schmoe@comcast.net was added as "Joe Schmoe"<schmoe@comcast.net> (no underlining
). Perhaps the inappropriat quoptation marks are causing a problem. Each recipient was transferred that way.  Is there a way toget rid of the quotes?

Bronze Problem Solver

teacherkp wrote:

I believe you're right. When I set up the group I added the members one by one and what happened is this eg:

Joe Schmoe schmoe@comcast.net was added as "Joe Schmoe"<schmoe@comcast.net> (no underlining
). Perhaps the inappropriat quoptation marks are causing a problem. Each recipient was transferred that way.  Is there a way toget rid of the quotes?

The problem there isn't about quotes or anything like that, the problem is thatschmoe@comcast.net isn't a valid Comcast email address:

<while talking to the Comcast SMTP server>

rcpt to:<schmoe@comcast.net>
550 5.1.1 Not our Customer

In SMTP jargon, "rcpt to:" means "this is an email address I want to send the email to". The enclosing angle brackets are something that's supposed to be required in the SMTP chit-chat, but not something you need to worry about in your address book (unless maybe the brackets aren't paired).

Contributor

Hello,

I just ran into this totally braindead scheme trying to send email to a group.

It's not the first time.

How in the heck can you figure out which addresses are invalid???  It's infuriating!

With normal SMTP, the email is sent and the mailserver will send back a DSN telling

you which addresses failed.  For whatever reason, comcast email doesn't deliver the

DSN to the sender.

The only workaround I could find was to send my group email from a competing service

(outlook.com) in order to get the "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)‏" telling me which

addresses failed.

Comcast, if there is a better way to do this, it sure isn't obvious. Maybe it's a zimbra

constraint. I hope this helps someone.

ML Starkey

New Poster

When sending email to multiple addresses, I often get the "Invalid address" error--usually due to extrra comma, etc.

The infuriating part is that Comcast does not indicate WHICH addresses are invalid. One must play a game of 'gotcha' trial and error to find the culprit.

Our work email identifies which is the invalid address so I know it can be done.

Comcast--please fix email so it identifies which are invalid addresses!

Thanks!

Regular Visitor

any fix on this yet? keep getting

I dont know what address is bad!! help please

Contributor

cut and paste the list of addresses you are having trouble with into another service that properly indicates the problem.  I had to go to my hotmail account to find the culprit.  It's a total pain, and obviously comcast doesn't give a fig.