Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Constant pop-up asking for second method of reaching me. I'm on Comcast.net -- have been for years -- don't have another email account --

Frequent Visitor

Constant pop-up asking for second method of reaching me. I'm on Comcast.net -- have been for years -- don't have another email account --

Why does ther ALWAYS pop up a white screen asking me for another email account name and my cell phone number -- I DO NOT HAVE ANOTHER email account  -- don't needone or want one and COMCAST has no need for my cell phone number  What gives??????????

Email Expert

Re: Constant pop-up asking for second method of reaching me. I'm on Comcast.net -- have been for years -- don't have another email account

What you are seeing is a security feature.  It gives Comcast another way to get a hold of you in the event your account is compromised.  If your email gets hijacked, using the cell phone # they could send you a recovery code to try and recover it.  Same with an email account from another provider.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: New Xfinity Webmail

You seem blissfully unaware of the fact that I am sick and tired of Comcast's pop-up looking for my cell number as well as another email address.  COMCAST DOES NOT NEED MY CELL PHONE NUMBER -- it is none of their business!!   Further if I had another email address -- which I don't -- Comcast does not need that either.

DROP THE DROP-DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regular Visitor

Re: Constant pop-up asking for second method of reaching me. I'm on Comcast.net -- have been for years -- don't have another email account

so the primary user/username has the ONLY cellphone number I have, as well as the ONLY OTHER e-mail address I have (Yahoo).

The secondary user/username will not allow any of these contacts to be used in this feature.  And you cannot use a Comcast e-mail address as contact in this security option.

So what does one do?  Certainly not buy aother cellphone and another number!  Looking at options for another e-mail account, there are very few out there which are free, not going to require me to make them my main address (Gmail seems insistent that if I use it, it becomes the primary e-mail), or will not mess up my current e-mail set up.   This is so ridiculous.  Why does Comcast need this backup information for any user beyond the primary?    We are offered all these extra e-mail accounts free, but the security preferences for them can't be completed.

Stupid.

Email Expert

If you don't want to use your cell phone for authentication, then use another, non-Comcast email address.  There are truckloads of free email accounts out there.  I have 11 accounts myself right now.  If you are going to use the internet and do email, you need 2 accounts from different email providers for this very reason.  2 is a bare minimum.  If you have only one and it gets hacked, you are just outta luck.  They have no way to send you a recovery code or a password reset link without either the phone # or another email address.

Free accounts include, but are not limited to-------Yahoo-----Oulook.com (Hotmail)-----Gmail----------Zoho---------iCloud--------Mail.com (1&1)--------AOL and many more.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon