Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Connect my Xfinity TV Box - Model PR150BNM to my computer to watch TV.

New Poster

Connect my Xfinity TV Box - Model PR150BNM to my computer to watch TV.

When I go to the "TV/ live tv setup" on The Windows Media Center setup screen, I get a pop up error saying "TURNER NOT FOUND The TV signal cannot be configured because a TV tuner was not detected. If you have a tuner, ensure it is installed correctly." I even went to the suggested web address "http://www.windows.com/pctv" and searched everywhere on that site to see if there might be a solution. All I found was a basic statement about connecting the cable TV tuner to the computer correctly. What I could not find was what output port on the cable box goes to what input port on the PC, so that Windows Media Center can see the connected Cable TV Box. I know when I connected a Hauppauge Video TV tuner to my computer I was able to get the TV channels to display on my monitor, with the aid of a diagram that came with the instructions for the installation. That was of course, when I was using Win 7 operating system, but now I am using Win 8.1 and  I cannot find any such help diagrams for connecting the computer to the Comcast Video channel selector so that Windows Media Center can find the signal coming from the TV box.  I was hoping to get som suggestions on this matter if possible.

Networking Expert

Re: Connect my Xfinity TV Box - Model PR150BNM to my computer to watch TV.

You haven't explained exactly how you are connecting the Comcast box to your computer, however if you are taking the feed that would normlly go to the TV, you would have to have some type of card or USB device that can accept the connections (HDMI, Component Video+Audoi, etc) connected to your computer. You would use the Comcast cable box to change channels to change what that device captures and displays on your PC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Connect my Xfinity TV Box - Model PR150BNM to my computer to watch TV.

As you know I am using the Xfinity TV Box - Model PR150BNM.  I am connecting a HDMI cable between the HDMI output socket on the Xfinity Box to the HDMI input connection to a "Hauppauge Model HD PVR 2" which is basically a TV Tuner which is designed for connecting to a device such as the Xfinity Box for recording programs from that device or it could be connected to a gaming device to record games played on the 360 box etc.  From the HD PVR 2, I have an IR wire connected to the HD PVR 2 output  and at the other end is a led, which allows the HD PVR 2  to change the channels outputted on the Xfinity Box, much as the hand channel selector controller that came with the Xfinity Box.  The HD PVR 2  has a USB cable connected between it self and a USB connector on the computer, which along with the software that came with the HD PVR 2  to record programs that I want to look at later on my TV.  This system works OK, but it is a time consuming process to set up the programs I want to record, in the future up coming days.  What I wanted to do was load Microsoft's "Windows Media Center" which would allow me to do this same sort of operation via "as Microsoft claims" through a TV tuner, (presumably through the Xfinity Box, and a TV tuner selector box such as the HD PVR 2 which has the IR channel selector option".  As I said the HD PVR 2 device is connected to the computer through a USB cable which would allow the computer to record any video information that the Xfinity Box would provide.

The main purpose of switching from what I have (which works as advertised)  to "Windows Media Center", is that if I wanted to record a program that is a serial type, which comes on daily or even weekly, with Windows Media Center all I have to do is program the program in once and click on a box to tell Windows Media Center that this is a serial program and it is set, and I can forget it.