Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast wants Alternate e-mail address?

Contributor

Comcast wants Alternate e-mail address?

I have three e-mail identities. For whatever reason in the last several weeks xfinty hasn't rembered my password and I have to enter it BUT when I do it keeps wanting an alsternate e-mail addy. or cell number.

When I attempt to put in my contact info it tells me "it's already in use". It does this on my alternate identities.

Can I link my alternate ID's to my main ID? If so how?

Email Expert

Re: Comcast wants Alternate e-mail address?

What you are seeing is Comcast prompting you to provide an alternate means of contacting you in the event your account were to be compromised.  You can give them either a cell phone number or another, non-Comcast, email address.  A lot of internet entities are using two-factor authentication now, and that's what this is.  Were you trying to use one Comcast address as the alternate for another?

Just to add--------if you want online access to your Social Security account, you have to have a cell phone capable of texting.  No cell  phone----no access.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Thanks for the reply but that's not a solution to my problem.

Do you think that Comcast is now forcing it's users with more than one e-mail identity

to purchase additional cell phones so they can have another e-mail  account?

Don't know what country you're talking about for Social Security, but ,I can get into my

U.S. Social Security account without a cell phone number just need my user name and password.

Can you answer my original question?

Is there a way to link ALL 3 of my accounts to one "emergency" e-mail and cell phone number?

Email Expert

As for Social Security, see this-----------they just haven't gotten around to you yet

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/08/social-security-administration-now-requires-two-factor-authentica...

Yoiu need to clarify-----do you mean you want to use the same alternate email address for 3 Comcast accounts, or accounts from other email providers or what?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Yes I want to use the same alternate  e-mail address for ALL three of my Comcast  e-mail addresses.

For e-mail address "A" I entered my alternate e-mail and it was accepted.

But, when I went to my other Comcast e-mail addresses "B" & "C", I tried using the same

alternate e-mail address but was told "...is being used, enter another."

As an aside about social security and cell phones.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll increase my positions in AT&T and Verizon.

The Obama phones should fly out the door.

Email Expert

OK from what you describe, no----you cannot use the same alternate address for all three accounts.  This is the way of email security these days.  I have 11 email accounts right now.  4 of them are Comcast accounts, and all 4 use a different email address from another provider.  They do this to prevent you from "daisy-chaining" accounts using the same email address.  If you want a good read, look at this to see how daisy-chaining played a huge role in this guy's digital life being destroyed-----------------------

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/6/3224597/mat-honan-hacked-apple-icloud-google-twitter

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon