Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast is blocking all outgoing email SMTP servers except for Comcast's own server

New Poster

Comcast is blocking all outgoing email SMTP servers except for Comcast's own server

Recently I have not been able to send any email from my Apple client on my iMac, MacBook, iPad or iPhones when connected to Comcast. I am using my iCloud account, my GMail account, and my Yahoo (SBCGlobal) account. I keep getting the error message that the SMTP Server cannot be reached. Again, this is only when I'm connected to Comcast. If I turn off my WiFi on my mobile devices, I can send just fine. I even connected to my Hotspot on my phone with my iMac and MacBook, and both of them send fine when NOT connected to Comcast. But if I connect to Comcast, I can no longer send email.

I spent an hour on the phone with Apple, and they helped me determine that it is only when I'm connected to Comcast.

I then spent over an hour-and-a-half on the phone with Comcast (first guy just hung up on my, the second woman transferred me to someone without telling me, the third guy transferred me to someone else, and the fourth guy said it was the mail client setup, and had nothing to do with Comcast.

Comcast blocking all SMTP servers except for their own. I don't want all of my email going through their servers. Through general and advanced troubleshooting I have determined it is Comcast, or my Modem (which is a DocSys3.0 modem). But no one will help.

Help!!!!!

Official Employee

Re: Comcast is blocking all outgoing email SMTP servers except for Comcast's own serv

ehacking wrote:

Recently I have not been able to send any email from my Apple client on my iMac, MacBook, iPad or iPhones when connected to Comcast. I am using my iCloud account, my GMail account, and my Yahoo (SBCGlobal) account. I keep getting the error message that the SMTP Server cannot be reached. Again, this is only when I'm connected to Comcast. If I turn off my WiFi on my mobile devices, I can send just fine. I even connected to my Hotspot on my phone with my iMac and MacBook, and both of them send fine when NOT connected to Comcast. But if I connect to Comcast, I can no longer send email.

I spent an hour on the phone with Apple, and they helped me determine that it is only when I'm connected to Comcast.

I then spent over an hour-and-a-half on the phone with Comcast (first guy just hung up on my, the second woman transferred me to someone without telling me, the third guy transferred me to someone else, and the fourth guy said it was the mail client setup, and had nothing to do with Comcast.

Comcast blocking all SMTP servers except for their own. I don't want all of my email going through their servers. Through general and advanced troubleshooting I have determined it is Comcast, or my Modem (which is a DocSys3.0 modem). But no one will help.

Help!!!!!

It sounds like you may be trying to send over port 25.  Have you tried port 587/STARTTLS, or 465/SSL?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon