Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast email is not useable

Frequent Visitor

Comcast email is not useable

It's been getting progressively worse in the past 2 weeks, to the point where this morning, I simply cannot use email.  I can get emails, but when I am in the web client, I can't do anything without getting a 'Work In Progress' dialogue:

Work In Progress

The server or the network is slow to respond.  To cancel

your request, press Cancel Request.

By anything, I mean:

-  I can't open any email from any folder

-  if an email finally does come up, I can't delete it, or move it, or other

-  if I am finally able to delete it, or move it, or other, then the NEXT message I try gets me back into the same black hole!!!

-  I try to refresh the browser - doesn't work

-  I close the tab, open a new one, and try to get back into email - same problems

I "tried" to chat with a representative, but this rep was in India and when he asked me if I had applied any system updates recently, my head exploded.  

Config:

-  Win7 Pro (current with updates)

-  Chrome (latest)

-  connected to internet via Xfinity wifi router 

I have tried:

-  rebooting system

-  rebooting router

-  clearing cache

This to me appears to fall squarely on Comcast - not sure what is happening on their server side, but as of today, EMAIL IS NOT USEABLE!!!

Email Expert

Re: Comcast email is not useable

Given everything you've done, I've escalated this to the forum administrator to get someone to look at your account.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I am having all of the same issues with email...both my account and my wife's as well.  This has gotten progressively worse and worse ever since the update was done.  We run firefox and have windows 7.  Constant error messages....try to delete mails and they don't delete, same thing happens when you try to move a mail to another folder, etc. etc. etc.  Try to refresh and it's good for a minute or two and then error, error, error.  Reboot....same.  I constantly clear history and cache....blah blah blah.  To be honest? I have no clue what type of platform this new email system is running on, but it has just been a nightmare...and I have read quite a few complaints all over this forum that pretty much are saying the same.  Has Comcast looked into perhaps there are issues with the system/platform?  It seems that the suggestion was given for people to switch over to Chrome.....I don't find that a proper solution since Chrome comes with a host of other issues/problems and it seems that some folks are still have issues that use that as well.  The 'World' has this email addy for both of us and it would be highly inconvenient to change it.......any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated....perhaps Comcast taking a good look at this system maybe??  Thank you kindly.

Admin1

rbonneau -- Apologies for your email issue however this is not squarely a Comcast issue since you mentioned you're using an email client and mentioned that you see these problems when you're in the email client. A way to test these issues is to try and use Comcast email within our email portal. If everything works as intended, then you know the issue is with your email client. You would then need to contact the email client manufacturer as we do not run support for email clients.  

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Admin1

gonzo78 -- Are you also using an email client or are you using our email portal? 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

I'm signed in directly through Comcast via my laptop....and I seem to be having the same problem that I have read others complain of on the forum.  I had none of these problems before the update/upgrade to the new system...my comcast email always worked perfectly fine.  To be honest here, I don't believe that telling people to switch to a different web browser is a sufficient fix/answer either.  I have reservations/issues with Chrome, so I don't wish to use/switch to it.  I'm happy with Firefox and have no other issues and/or problems with it.  IE is a nightmare at best, which is why I stopped using it years back.  The last two days, emails has gotten a bit better, have only gotten the error messages a couple of times.  It seemed to culminate into a bit of a crazy bad day on the 15th, so I am holding out hope that perhaps there were some bugs that have worked themselves out?  I really don't think that this is an individual user issue and I'm not trying to be negative here....there are some features I like about the upgrade....I would just like it to work reliably without constant errors and server problems (which a lot of the error messages say).  Thanks for listening.

Admin1

gonzo78 -- What are the issues you're having? Your posts don't list the specific problems you're having. I'll need to know those in order to help. Can you list them please? 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

I'm using the browser to access Comcast email - apologies if using the term "client" made things confusing as I thought it was clear I was coming in from the web (ie not Outlook, or Outlook Express, or other).

Using Chrome, I:

-  go to www.comcast.net

-  which redirects me to my.xfinity.com/?cid=cust

-  I click on the email icon on the top right (which is to the left of the TV and Home icons)   <--- your email portal, correct??

-  I wait forever at login.comcast.net - in fact, I have to repeatedly click on the 'X' to stop from loading, so I can click on the refresh button to re-load... after a couple of times it then loads

-  https://web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail finally comes up, but the little circle of dots spins and spins and spins and...

-  I'm eventually in https://web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail!!!!!

-  now see the symptoms I right in my original posting... day I posted, yesterday, today...

Yes, this issue is squarely on Comcast.

Thank you for looking into it.

Rick

Frequent Visitor

sigh....I have listed issues in my posts.....but I will again.  I have gotten constant error messages.  In the form of a small white box that pops up with these error messages.  There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to when this occurs.  Sometimes when I am trying to delete a message and sometimes when I am trying to move a message to another folder.  When I receive the error message, the message won't delete or won't move.  If I hit 'refresh' said message populates back into my inbox as if I did nothing with it...even as though I never opened it and looked at it.  I will get error messages sometimes just when I am trying to open and look at mails...again this happens randomly.  these messages sometimes say different things but usually say things like can't find server (i'm paraphrasing here)....connection to server timeout....and it's not talking about my internet connection, because I am still online and have no problem with anything else.  This is just with Comcast email.  I have refreshed, rebooted, I have Firefox set up to clear my history, etc. each time I close it.....I constantly run malwarebytes and CCleaner....I run HouseCall....my computer is clean.  Again, I had none of these problems/issues until the update/upgrade to this new email system.  I have read quite a few posts here in the forum where people have been having the exact same issues as I have been having.  Like I said in my previous post, it has gotten better the last two days....but for the two weeks leading up to Nov. 15th it had gotten worse and worse and reached a fever pitch on the 15th.  That day email was pretty much unuseable (as the first poster in this thread stated).  I am being cautiously optimistic that whatever the issue/issues were/are have been worked out.  I truly have no idea.  As I have previously stated, I am not trying to be negative and just blame Comcast here.  However, I don't feel as though this is an 'user' issue either.  None of us have done anything different or changed anything (at least I haven't) and yet it seems as though a lot of us are all having the same problems with a new system.  I will keep my fingers crossed and post again if all of the same problems resurface again.  Thank you again for listening.

Admin1

rbonneau -- Has any support agent you've spoken with attempted to duplicate this issue? This would be done by resting the password of your user, having the agent sign in with that user ID, and seeing if the same issues arise? That would be the next step in this process. That's something I can do and would need your permission to do so and also when a good time to do that would be.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Admin1

stellablue_88 -- Same question as above, has any support agent you've spoken with attempted to duplicate this issue?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

No - no support agent has contacted me.  

As I mentioned in my original posting, I *tried* to chat with an online rep prior to coming to this forum, but the combination of poor english/comprehension of written word AND the insane recital of a ridculous "checklist" of silly questions to ask me, I gave up after 55 mins.  I specifically asked him to log my issue, but who knows if that ever happened - sounds like it didn't (and yes, he had my account info). 

Thanks,

Rick

Frequent Visitor

No...I never bothered to call support directly since I came to the forums and saw that quite a few other people were having all of the same issues...and btw...I'm the wife of gonzo78....just forgot to sign in under his username when I typed the post....As I keep saying, I really don't see this as an individual user issue....I have seen too many other posts on here all complaining/documenting the same problems.  The error messages have indeed subsided over the past two days (as I have also stated), so I will bide my time and see if things continue to improve and whatever bug this was flew elsewhere.  I will post again and take you up on your offer if the error messages and the twirling circle of doom that leads to nowhere comes back! (the lil circular thing that twirls and twirls when you're trying to send, delete, open, do anything that should only twirl for a second but when email was acting up would twirl and twirl and then one of the error messages would pop up!).  Thanks again for the responses. stella & gonzo

Frequent Visitor

Yes, you have my permission.  Do you need anything else from me?

Small data point:  behavior was markedly better yesterday morning between the hours of ~9:00am - Noon EST.  I wasn't online before that, but was online until late in the evening, ~9:30pm EST.  Throughout the day, almost every "action" (ie open mail, select mail, move mail, etc) incurred some delay (>10 secs), with many getting the dreaded "server timeout" dialogue.

Also, I see a lot of people mentioning the "new system".  I realize some may have such a system, but my email is the same user interface as it always has been.  And as the previos poster mentioned, I've done/changed nothing to my system.

Here is a wild a&& guess... I recently (2 months?) went from my own wireless router to an Xfinity wireless router.  Any relation?  Because on top of the poor Comcast email response, could this also be the cause for slow page loading when browsing the internet?  Most/almost all of my page loads are VERY slow, almost like they have stalled (stop, reload, stop, reload...).  Slow loading seems to be associated with:  fonts.googleapis.com, ajax.googleapis.com.  -->  I certainly don't want to mix problems here, just providing more info incase it may be relevant.

Thanks,

Rick

Admin1

rbonneau -- There is one last thing that I need. Since I'll be resetting your password you won't be able to log back in. What I need is an email address that an alert can be sent to that let's you know that you that I've completed my part and that you can now reset your password so you can log back in. I also need to know which user ID you're using. There's 3 on your account so I want to make sure I have the right one. Please send that information in a PM.

Your modem question does bring up something. Your account is showing 2 active modems. A TM502G and TG1682G. Are you using both or just one? Health check on your account didn't show any out of spec signal levels so now I'm wondering if having these 2 modems active are causing any slow downs especially since TM502G is an end of life device. 

Click my name (ComcastZach) and click Private Message Me. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

By the way, just as an update.....today is Nov. 30th and email has become unuseable.  I have no idea if there is some type of system wide outage or what.  Have been getting weird errors and glitches over the past week or so once again....script errors and when trying to delete messages things freeze up and messages that I have deleted appear again as though they were never deleted, etc. etc.  This afternoon email totally froze while trying to reply to a message.  Tried to sign out, couldn't.  Closed down Firefox and even rebooted....tried to sign back in and am getting some 'server unreachable' error message.  Honestly? in looking over the forum and all of the different messages here, it doesn't seem as though this is isolated to just a handful of users (as my wife and I have stated earlier in this thread).  This really seems as though there are major issues with this new email system and it is affecting an awful lot of users across the board and across many different browsers that people may be using.  Isn't there some way that your engineers (or whomever) can really take a look at this new system that has been implemented and try to work these kinks/bugs out or just go back to the old system that we all had?  This is truly beyond frustrating.  Doesn't seem like we are the only users here who are frustrated with this either.  There are pages and pages of posts here about this new system and how it's not working correctly.  This really can't be all of us folks.

New Poster

I believe this is a Comcast problem.  I'm having it on my Chromebook notebook and my Windows based PC with IE, Firefox and Chrome browsers, all accessing Comcast email through the Comcast website.

No problem before two weeks ago, multiple failures since the new appsuite Comcast mail system introduced.  Please fix or give customers a link to the old email system.

New Poster

Additionally, I have reset my modem and router, and turned computer off-on, cleared cookies and temporary internet files.  It doesn't make any difference.