Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast Won't Allow Apple Mail to Connect Using IMAP

New Poster

Comcast Won't Allow Apple Mail to Connect Using IMAP

Two days ago my Apple Mail Client stopped communicating with Comcast servers. It still connects from my phone and I retrieve my messages there and on the comcast.net website, but not on my computers that are running older versions of OSX. I've tried everything, including deleting and resetting my accounts in Apple Mail, changing my passwords, etc., but nothing is working. I've called Comcast on three occassions and they've elevated my problem twice, but no one seems to know what's going on. I think I may have identified the problem but I don't know how to fix it. When I try to set up my accounts in Apple Mail, it defaults to the imap.comcast.net setting for incoming connections and won't let me change it, however, when I look at the settings on my phone, it's connecting to mail.comcast.net and the phone is able to retrieve the messages with no problem or lag time. Furthermore, it won't let me add the primary email account and two other secondary accounts, but does allow me to add two others. When I log in on the Comcast website, it seems to recognize all my mailboxes in one section, but when I click on the link to adjust my preferences and settings, on the rare occassion it doesn't just time out, it will only recognize 3 out of 6 of my accounts. I've been at this for 2 full days now and I'm at a frustrated loss. Can anyone out there please help? Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast Won't Allow Apple Mail to Connect Using IMAP

All my comcast mail accounts use  mail.comcast.net on a POP setting. I think you have to choose POP first.

Email Expert

Re: Comcast Won't Allow Apple Mail to Connect Using IMAP

UlitmateIslands wrote:

Two days ago my Apple Mail Client stopped communicating with Comcast servers. It still connects from my phone and I retrieve my messages there and on the comcast.net website, but not on my computers that are running older versions of OSX. I've tried everything, including deleting and resetting my accounts in Apple Mail, changing my passwords, etc., but nothing is working. I've called Comcast on three occassions and they've elevated my problem twice, but no one seems to know what's going on. I think I may have identified the problem but I don't know how to fix it. When I try to set up my accounts in Apple Mail, it defaults to the imap.comcast.net setting for incoming connections and won't let me change it, however, when I look at the settings on my phone, it's connecting to mail.comcast.net and the phone is able to retrieve the messages with no problem or lag time. Furthermore, it won't let me add the primary email account and two other secondary accounts, but does allow me to add two others. When I log in on the Comcast website, it seems to recognize all my mailboxes in one section, but when I click on the link to adjust my preferences and settings, on the rare occassion it doesn't just time out, it will only recognize 3 out of 6 of my accounts. I've been at this for 2 full days now and I'm at a frustrated loss. Can anyone out there please help? Thank you.

What are the settings you are using for  the accounts in question in Mail?  These are what they should be ------------------------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon