Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast POP

New Poster

Comcast POP

I am so frustrated.  In setting up my new 2017 MacBook Pro, I can't seem to configure Apple Mail 10.3 as a POP account.  I have learned that it automatically defaults to an IMAP account and for specific reasons, I do not want one Mac deleting Comcast server emails before another Mac has a chance to download or my PC can download to Outlook.  Even when I force in all of the correct server information (ingoing, outgoing, etc.) and port numbers according to Comcast, it still defaults back to an IMAP.  Two days ago, my POP settings were working.  This is why I am beginning to despise XFINITY, MS and APPLE as they are doing more and more things that are leaving consumers with fewer and in some cases, less desirable choices in their way their products setup and work.

Email Expert

Re: Comcast POP

If you want to set it up using POP3, you have to "trick" Mail.  When you are configuring it and you get the window where you enter your user ID and password, deliberately misspell the password.  Type anything you like in there as long as it's wrong.  When it tries to verify the account, it will work for maybe 20 or 30 seconds trying.  When it deems it cannot verify it, it will prompt you to set the account up manually.  Then you will see the choice to use either POP3 or IMAP.  Mail defaults to IMAP because Comcast accounts are now also IMAP compliant by default.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon