Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast New Email Server keeps marking messages as READ..How do I stop this...

New Poster

Comcast New Email Server keeps marking messages as READ..How do I stop this...

Before Comcast upgradded their default email program a few days ago, I was able to specify a certain amount of time before messages would be marked as 'Read'...  

NOW with this new upgrage every time I highlight a message to read, it is automatically marked 'Read' after which each and every time I need to select the message and unmark it as to show it was not read.

Call me picky, but I do n ot like my messages marded as 'Read'.  I checked the options but I cannot find the option to adjust the time to fix  this anoying issue.

Any suggestions or help would be apprishated.

Thanks in advance...

Email Expert

Re: Comcast New Email Server keeps marking messages as READ..How do I stop this...

What you are describing is the default action.  If you "select" a message it get's marked as read.  There is no way to change that.  You might be able to do what you want if you enable the account in a desktop client like Outlook or Windows Live Mail etc.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Comcast New Email Server keeps marking messages as READ..How do I stop this...

Latoque, Thank you for your reply.  I kind-of figured that but was hoping I missed a setting where I could change this.

Just like Comcast to improve the overall appearance of their default email program BUT remove a VERY useful setting which was available in the old program.

Guess it is time to go back to Microsoft Outlook and a good reason to upgrade my old 2003 version to the currrent Microsoft Outlook version.  Again thank You!

New Poster

that wasn't always the case.  When viewing your email on the web you could single click an email to select it for preview and it would not be marked as "read".  It's changed with this latest webmail update.

Yes, you can do it in Outlook but what is the setting to have messages that are only single clicked not be marked as "read".  It's silly that this doesn't exist.  Poor design and poor programming.