New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast Mail Server Rejects Legitimate Email Messages As Spam

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Comcast Mail Server Rejects Legitimate Email Messages As Spam

I am growing increasingly frustrated.  Whenever I attempt to send an email message to either of two addressees, the Comcast mail server rejects the message as spam.  Here is a typical result:

===========

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 21:02:28 +0000
To: [my email address]@comcast.net
Subject: Permanent Error

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* [friend's email address]@optonline.net

Reason: Permanent Error

Reporting-MTA: dns; resqmta-ch2-03v.sys.comcast.net [69.252.207.35]
Received-From-MTA: dns; resomta-ch2-05v.sys.comcast.net [69.252.207.101]
Arrival-Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 21:02:28 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822; [friend's email address]@optonline.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Spam detected by content scanner. Message rejected.

Last-attempt-Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 21:02:28 +0000

===========

The addressee is my best friend from our college days and he has *not* marked any of my messages as spam, or asked his ISP to block messages from me.

This has been going on for more than a month now, and a few weeks ago, it started happening with another email addressee.

I called Comcast Technical Support to request assistance.  A ticket number was issued.

A day or so later, I got a message as follows:

From: XFINITY My Account <online.communications@alerts.comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 19:48:29 -0400
To: "[my email address]" <[my email address]@comcast.net>
Subject: Test Email from Comcast Team
Reply-To: online.communications@alerts.comcast.net

Hello,

Good news! This message confirms that you can now successfully send and receive email via Comcast mail servers.

You can learn more about email features and manage your preferences by visiting Xfinity Overview.

Sincerely,
XFINITY® Team

[....]

Please do not reply to this email, it is not monitored. If you'd like to contact us, please visit our
website here.

The problem has not been resolved, and attempts to use the URL for a web chat with a Comcast Service Rep just put me into an endless loop that never results in being able to reach someone.

Does anyone know how I can rectify this situation?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Accepted Solution

Re: Comcast Mail Server Rejects Legitimate Email Messages As Spam

JJMcVeigh wrote:

ComcastAntiSpam wrote:

JJMcVeigh wrote:

I am growing increasingly frustrated.  Whenever I attempt to send an email message to either of two addressees, the Comcast mail server rejects the message as spam.  Here is a typical result:

===========

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Spam detected by content scanner. Message rejected.

JJMcVeigh-

The system rejecting the message is actually the optonline.net server.   The reporting MTA (the comcast one) is the one that tried to hand the message to optonline.  When optonline rejected it, the comcast server composed the rejection and sent it to you.

I don't see anything unusual logged about your outbound messages.   Can you try sending different content?  Is there a URL that you're including?  We don't have any control over optonline's filters, but your friend might be ablt to get the support folks at that end to look into it.

Hope this helps,

ComcastDaveL

Thanks to you and the others for the replies.  The content does not seem to affect the behavior... plain text only, plain text and URLs, URLs only, plain text and attached images... all trigger the same result.

I am curious how you can tell that it is an Optonline mail server that it balking at the messages.  The response is near-instantanteous, and all of the servers mentioned in the rejection message are Comcast servers.

Yo

Well, it's along the lines of what I mentioned before.  While you don't see the explicit "optonline rejected this server", a careful reading of the rejection text tells us:

the reporting mta (the resqmta server)- the one that said it can't send it to the next hop 

the received from mta (the resomta server) - the one that handed it off to the reporting mta 

Also the specific text: "554 5.7.1 Spam detected by content scanner. Message rejected." isn't a rejection message used by Comcast.

Hope this helps,

ComcastDaveL

View answer in context
Email Expert

The only thing I can suggest is that you call Comcast security to see why your recipient's email domain is causing a problem.  There are a number of reasons why this could be happening.

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Official Employee

JJMcVeigh wrote:

===========

JJMcVeigh-

The system rejecting the message is actually the optonline.net server.   The reporting MTA (the comcast one) is the one that tried to hand the message to optonline.  When optonline rejected it, the comcast server composed the rejection and sent it to you.

I don't see anything unusual logged about your outbound messages.   Can you try sending different content?  Is there a URL that you're including?  We don't have any control over optonline's filters, but your friend might be ablt to get the support folks at that end to look into it.

Hope this helps,

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

ComcastAntiSpam wrote:

JJMcVeigh wrote:

===========

JJMcVeigh-

Hope this helps,

ComcastDaveL

Thanks to you and the others for the replies.  The content does not seem to affect the behavior... plain text only, plain text and URLs, URLs only, plain text and attached images... all trigger the same result.

I am curious how you can tell that it is an Optonline mail server that it balking at the messages.  The response is near-instantanteous, and all of the servers mentioned in the rejection message are Comcast servers.

Yours,

JJM

Official Employee

JJMcVeigh wrote:

ComcastAntiSpam wrote:

JJMcVeigh wrote:

===========

JJMcVeigh-

Hope this helps,

ComcastDaveL

Yo

Well, it's along the lines of what I mentioned before.  While you don't see the explicit "optonline rejected this server", a careful reading of the rejection text tells us:

the reporting mta (the resqmta server)- the one that said it can't send it to the next hop 

the received from mta (the resomta server) - the one that handed it off to the reporting mta 

Also the specific text: "554 5.7.1 Spam detected by content scanner. Message rejected." isn't a rejection message used by Comcast.

Hope this helps,

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Yo

Hope this helps,

ComcastDaveL

Thank you very much for the explanation.  I will ask my friend to take up the matter with Optonline.

Gold Problem Solver

ComcastAntiSpam wrote: ... The system rejecting the message is actually the optonline.net server. ... When optonline rejected it, the comcast server composed the rejection and sent it to you. ...

When Comcast composes that DSN, couldn't it include an indication as to which system rejected the message? A single line like "Message rejected by <servername> would be extremely helpful and a huge improvement over the "mystery" DSNs we get now.

... Also the specific text: "554 5.7.1 Spam detected by content scanner. Message rejected." isn't a rejection message used by Comcast. ...

We customers don't have access to any but a few of the "rejection messages used by Comcast", so, again, it would be really helpful if the DSNs were a bit less cryptic.

Frequent Visitor

BruceW wrote:

ComcastAntiSpam wrote: ... The system rejecting the message is actually the optonline.net server. ... When optonline rejected it, the comcast server composed the rejection and sent it to you. ...

When Comcast composes that DSN, couldn't it include an indication as to which system rejected the message? A single line like "Message rejected by <servername> would be extremely helpful and a huge improvement over the "mystery" DSNs we get now.

... Also the specific text: "554 5.7.1 Spam detected by content scanner. Message rejected." isn't a rejection message used by Comcast. ...

We customers don't have access to any but a few of the "rejection messages used by Comcast", so, again, it would be really helpful if the DSNs were a bit less cryptic.

Very well stated!