New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Clicking links in email keeps opening another tab

ANSWERED
Contributor

Clicking links in email keeps opening another tab

I am reading my email online. When I open an email and click on a link it opens a new tab which is ok but everytime I do this it opens another tab. How can I have it open in the tab already open?

Accepted Solution

Re: Clicking links in email keeps opening another tab

Can you clarify------when you set up the account in WLM, did you use the POP3 protocol?  I ask because using POP the default behavior is that when WLM downloads email to your computer, it will then delete it  from the server.  However, it can be set to leave a copy on the server.  If that option was selected, it would account for why you keep seeing the same messages.

To see if that is checked, go into WLM Preferences and click on the Advanced tab.  Uncheck the box and see if that solves the issue for you.  If you don't have an Advanced tab, it means you are using IMAP.

View answer in context
Email Expert

That is a function of the settings or preferences in your browser.  Look for Tabs in the General settings.  Which browser are you using?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

It works for me when I'm opening emails in my Windows Live Mail.

I have IE and I have it clicked on "open links from other programs in the same tab."

If I open WLM it downloads emails from days and days back. It's so annoying so I thought I'd just use the email program, Infinity online. 

Email Expert

If you are using WLM then yes-----you should be able to look at any accounts you have set up in it.  But in the webmail, you have to be signed into the account you want to look at.  WLM does that for you so you don't have to keep signing in and out all the time.  The settings in IE control tab behavior when you are looking at webpages.  That's very different than looking at accounts in an email client like WLM.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Ok thank you. I'm not sure I understand but I appreciate the help.

Email Expert

Just think of it this way------if you have your primary Comcast account and say-----two other secondary accounts set up--------they are three separate accounts.  Each has it's own user ID (email address), and password, just like they were all separate accounts from Comcast, AOL and Yahoo.

When you use a client program like Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, Mac Mail or some other on your computer, you can have all your email accounts in that one program and you don't have to sign into each one separately all the time.  The client does that for you.  That's one of the main reasons for using the client in the first place, and one of the big advantages of using it.  I have 4 Comcast email addresses, and all of them are set up in Mac Mail so I can access any of them any time I want to without having to sign in and out repeatedly.  (My desktop is a Mac)  I also have accounts from Yahoo, MSN, Gmail, and iCloud set up in it.

Windows Live Mail is a very good and capable email client.

So to sum up-----email clients like WLM are programs on your computer you can use to access your email accounts.  If you sign into an account using your browser, it's webmail, and you are looking at your email on the Comcast email server someplace-----it's a webpage just like navigating to J.C. Penny or something.

Does that help?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Yes, that helps me understand completely.

One more question or do I need to start another thread?

Why does my mail come into WLM with a whole bunch of old emails I've read and deleted. Can I sync the two? My husband has a Comcast account but he uses Windows Mail and he doesn't get old messages downloaded like I do. So it must be my WLM.

Thank you again.

Email Expert

Can you clarify------when you set up the account in WLM, did you use the POP3 protocol?  I ask because using POP the default behavior is that when WLM downloads email to your computer, it will then delete it  from the server.  However, it can be set to leave a copy on the server.  If that option was selected, it would account for why you keep seeing the same messages.

To see if that is checked, go into WLM Preferences and click on the Advanced tab.  Uncheck the box and see if that solves the issue for you.  If you don't have an Advanced tab, it means you are using IMAP.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Yes, I do use POP3 and that was checked. All this time I didn't realize this. I've unchecked it now. What a simple fix. Thanks so much. Smiley Happy