Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Changing E-mail preferences

New Poster

Changing E-mail preferences

I am trying to change my email preferences like deleting them after so many days, etc.  I can't get to the place I need to get this done

Email Expert

Re: Changing E-mail preferences

Assuming you are in the new email format, there are no deletion schedules you can edit.  Emails are now kept indefinitely until you delete them, with the exception of the Trash and Spam folders which have pre-set schedules.   Spam is stored for 7 days or 2,000 messages, whichever comes first. Trash is stored for 14 days or 5,000 messages, whichever comes first.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

MY comcast emails are being deleted more than once per day and i want them kept on the comcast site and not deleted. How do I adjust my preferences to accomplish that?

Email Expert

@thescotts1964 wrote:

MY comcast emails are being deleted more than once per day and i want them kept on the comcast site and not deleted. How do I adjust my preferences to accomplish that?

Do you have the account enabled on any device or desktop client using POP3?  If so, when you check your email it will download it to the device and then delete it from the server by default.  So check for that in your client/app settings.  Desktop clients have a setting that lets you keep a copy on the server after downloading it.  If you are using your account on more than one computer or other device, you should definitely consider using IMAP instead of POP3.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the input. Yes, some of the devices have POP accounts. Actually I much prefer them over imap accounts but can no longer set them up on Comcast as they force me into imap. I prefer to keep various emails on different devices and POP allowed me to do that.
Email Expert

I understand your POV, but keep in mind that POP was designed for use when most people had only one desktop computer.  IMAP is designed to be used across multiple devices.  Everything is synced.

Just sayin 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the help. I guess its time to do something about this. My emails keep disappearing from the server and indeed one of my devices is a POP account accessed thru Apple's "Mail" Program. Its on a desktop but I do not have the option with this account to leave the messages on the server. It used to be that the POP accounts were on all the devices and I could pick and choose which emails to keep on that particular device and I loved that flexibiliity but i cannot seem to do that anymore.

So if you confirm that is the thing to do, I will convert that one POP account to an IMAP account and all the devices will then have IMAP accounts. Please confirm that once that is done, all the emails will remain on the Comcast server.

Thanks again for the help.

Email Expert

I like this guy's explanation of IMAP and POP3-----------------

https://askleo.com/what_is_imap_and_how_can_it_help_me_manage_my_email/

And for the record, you can still set up an account in Mac Mail using POP3.  But IMAP is now the default and that's why it sets it up that way.  You need to "trick" the Mac to get to POP3.  Go ahead and start setting up the account in Mail, and when you get to the page where it asks you for your ID and password, deliberately put something other than the real password in there.  It doesn't matter what, just type some jibberish into it.  When you click on continue or next, it will sit for about 20 seconds or so and try to authenticate the account.  Of course, it can't because you didn't give it the actual password.  Rather, it will show you a window telling you that you need to set up the account manually.  That is where you will see the option to pick POP.  And you can still tell it to leave a copy on the server.  But IMAP is still the best way to go with multiple devices.

Just sayin

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation