Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Cannot send emails

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Cannot send emails

I can receive emails however I cannot send emails.  I get the following message:

The connection to the server has failed. Invoice ID 490311730429 Acct. mail.comcast.net, server mail.comcast.net protocol SMTP Port: 25, Secure (SSL) No, Socket Error 10060, Error Number 0X800CCC0E.

Please help.

Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot send emails

Have you tried using port 587 for smtp, without SSL on?
View answer in context
Official Employee

You may want to change your port to 465 per this FAQ  and see if that helps.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I also have a similar problem, I can receive but not send.  My error message has to do with wrong port or SSL setting.  I tried the 465 port for smtp but that did fix it.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gold Problem Solver

What are you using for email, and which version go the email client. Did you enable SSL for port 465? Do you have my server requires authentication checked, and- Do you have SPA off, as itn should be off. You can try 587 for. smtp without SSL on.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

I followed the instructions but I still get this message:

Account: mail.comcast.net, Server, mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port 995, Secure (SSL): No, Error Number 0X800CCC19

Frequent Visitor

I have Windows Mail using Windows Vista.  

Frequent Visitor

Okay.  I fixed it!  Tools - Accounts - clicked on my email acct. - The Outgoing mail should have said smtp.comcast.net but instead for some reason it had mail.comcast.net there just like the incoming mail had. Now it works!  

New Poster

I am using Outlook 2002 on Windows XP Home Edition.  I still rec've emails OK but can not send.  The outgoing server is smtp.comcast.net, and I have tried port 25 (default) and also 465 with and w/o the SSL box checked and none seems to work.  When I test account setting, the results for "find outgoing mail server"  is successful but the last item to "send test email" still failes.  The error report still says to check the port and SSL info. 

Gold Problem Solver

Have you tried using port 587 for smtp, without SSL on?

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Poster

All seems to be working fine now.  I tried several changes, and seems that changing the outgoing port to 587 did the trick. 

Thanks everyone for your advise.

Frequent Visitor

I just want to be clear - my problem wasn't solved by changing the port.  I solved mine NOT changing the port as suggested by CCCarole.  GSGilmore's problem was solved by doing that.  

I solved mine on my own having changed outgoing mail to SMTP.comcast.net from mail.comcast.net.  I just wanted to clairfy that.  Some people may have their outgoing mail the same way I did.  Changing the port didn't do anything for me.  Mine is still set on 25.

Thank you. 

New Poster

I am having a similar problem, and have tried all of the above suggestions: port 25, 495, 587, SPA on/off, etc. I have Windows Vista, Outlook 2002. Still cannot send emails. ANything else? Thanks,

Gold Problem Solver

Please post which ports you are  nowusing for POP3 and for SMTP and if you have have SSL on or off for each one. 465 with SSL on or 587 with SSL off should work. 

New Poster

I've tried 465 will SSL on, and 587 with it off, and various other combinations.  I'm trying to set up SeaMonkey mail and apparently I'm not the first to have a problem.  I've turned NetGuard off, and I've added the application with full access in McAfee.  I'm still not able to send mail.  I have verified that I have smtp.comcast.net in the correct location. 

I'm about to give up.  What free email application do you recommend and why?

thanks,

MarionTiger

New Poster

windows vista, outlook express

Bronze Problem Solver

MarionTiger wrote:

I've tried 465 will SSL on, and 587 with it off, and various other combinations.  I'm trying to set up SeaMonkey mail and apparently I'm not the first to have a problem.  I've turned NetGuard off, and I've added the application with full access in McAfee.  I'm still not able to send mail.  I have verified that I have smtp.comcast.net in the correct location. 

Do you have authentication enabled? It's required on ports 465 and 587.

Regular Visitor

I cannot send out emails..................please help 

Gold Problem Solver

You need to provide more details please.

What are you using for email?  XfinityConnect and/or an Email client?

If XfinityConnect ityConnect,which version, Full or Lite?  If an email client, which one nd which version?

Please post exactly what happens when you try to send an email?  Are you getting any error messages?  If yes,copy/ paste the entire error message in your reply.

Which browser/ version are you using?  Have you cleared your browser cache?  Have you rest your browser to default settings?

Answer all questions please.

CC

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

New Poster

Right after I posted, I remembered your request under the initial "Problem Solved!"  This is happening in Outlook 2003 (XP).  I use Firefox 19, and it's set up to clear the cache every time the browser is closed.

New Poster

I know what the problem is, because I just figured it out myself.  Go to the Mail tab at the top click preferences.  Under Account Information click Outgoing Mail Server and edit smtp server list.  It probably has the incorrect e-mail address still and password.  Switch and vula, it works!  Hope that helps.

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation