New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Cannot send emails from iphone

ANSWERED
New Poster

Cannot send emails from iphone

Both my husband and I cannot send emails from ouor iphones. We receive emails but cannot send. We've tried test emails from our comcast account on our phones and they don't show up. We can send our emails from the comcast account from our home computer (Mac running 10.9.2) and they are received. I've confirmed the settings are all the same for home and iphones. Why is this happening. I did once or twice get a message during the week that said comcast server not available and my password was wrong?

e've recently switch to comcast internet and it was working before.

Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot send emails from iphone

I live chatted with a tech and he solved the issue the easy way. I deleted the account and re-created it. It worked.

View answer in context
Gold Problem Solver

Please post the entire error message you are receiving.  (use copy/paste to place it in your reply)

Also- Post the settings you are using.

They should be:

mail.comcast.net

smtp.comcast.net

Port 995 with SSL On for Incoming

Port 465 with SSL On for Outgoing  OR- 587 without SSL ON

This server requires authentication is checked

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Visitor

I also can't send. I have entered all the info in correctly (numerous times) but it constinues to say:  "The username or password for SMTP:nt***@smtp.comcast.net" is incorrect.

New Poster

I only received the error once. I have not received it again. My emails I think I'm sending are in the sent file, but are never received. I'm on an iphone 4S using iOS version 7.1.1 using the iphone mail app. My husband has same phone and iOS. Settings are:

Host name: mail.comcast.net

outgoing mail server smtp.comcast.net

server port 587 with ssl on

incoming settings

Use SSL is on

authentication is password

server port 995

These are the original settings we got from comcast and they originally worked. It looks like from your email below I need to change outgoing to 465 if I have SSL on?

New Poster

Also - the original errors I got said the comcast servr was not responding  and a separate error of saying my password was wrong

I just made the suggested change to outgoing server and sent test emails to two other accounts and they have still not gone through.

My home computer email is the mac os email program and the settings list only port 995 and ssl is on.

New Poster

Is there anyone that can help with this issue? I had email through earthlink for twelve years before switching to comcast and I never had a problem. Why should I stay with comcast???

Regular Visitor

I live chatted with a tech and he solved the issue the easy way. I deleted the account and re-created it. It worked.

New Poster

That's great - it worked!!! I really appreciate your help.

Regular Visitor

Now we can both stop spending way too much time on fixing our email! Enjoy!

New Poster

This has happened for no apparent reason to both me and my wife. Usually deleting the account and setup the account from scratch fixes the issue. But past few days I did it 2x on my wife's phone, wouldn't fix it. FYI when I setup, it accepted all of the login info, it confirmed by putting blue check marks next to each item on the main setup screen and that is usually the end of it. Not this time. Previously, her phone was on SMTP port 465. With new setup it insisted upon using 587, which ATT support insists is the correct one. My iPhone 5s is still working fine on SMTP port 465. In fact, by accident I deleted m email account ( I got mixed which phone I was working on) and set it up again and it continued to use SMTP port 465... Go figure. But what did work on my wife's phone was I deleted her password for the SMTP and put it in manually and the problem was fixed. This is odd because if I recall the SMTP password is simply re-used from the initial setup screen, which was accepted. Gotta be a bug in here somewhere. I read an earlier post which indicated that the correct setup is SMTP port 465 with SSL on and 587 with SSL off. I don't see this . On our two phones, one is SMTP port 587 with SSL on and the other is SMTP port 465, also with SSL on. Both are working.
New Poster

I did what the other user said. Go into settings for the SMPT and manualy enter the password. Pass word is NOT copied correctly during setup! Now able to send email on Comcast server from iphone 4S!

New Poster

I have the new iphone 6 and I followed the advice.  You need to delete the account information and then re-enter.  It worked.

Regular Visitor

For two days, I talked with 9 agents from Comcast.  The original problem was just what which you are talking.  One of the first two or three agents from an outsource center ended up changing my email address so that my old address went into a security pool.  NOW, I have the secondary problem of not have the correct email address.  I could not understand this agent and she could not understand me- therefore the change.  After 24 hours, I finally was redirected to the Security Department where I spoke with gentlemen who did have English as their first language and were very knowledgeable about Comcast, commuters and phones.  The last agent, from second level security, corrected my problems- retrieved my email address from the security pool and in ten minutes had my problem resolved with the I phone 6.  He was fabulous and you can imagine that after the length of time of being placed on hold, call backs, music and agents that  could not be understood, how extremely pleased I am.  

At this time I will not be switching to another internet service and hope that you all can find an agent like I did.  They may be few and far between but they are out there.

New Poster

Thanks to all your repsonses I was able to trouble shoot this myself.  Thanks everyone

New Poster

This worked for me!!!!  Thank you.

New Poster

Hi

I am having the same problem-- and I checked the settings per your helpful instruction below.  But it looks like I don't have an outgoing setting at all... how would I set that up on my iphone--I have all the incoming settings then a section that says :

S/Mime  (and that is on)

Sign        No

Encrypt by Default     No

but nothing about outgoing 

thanks

New Poster

This is awesome!  Thanks so much.  I was having this problem and even went to the Verizon store.  They did not have the fix and told me I had to download the Xfinity app which I did and did not like at all.  Used your fix and all is well!!

Frequent Visitor

Will try thanks