Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Cannot connect to the internet with IE8 and WindowsXP.

ANSWERED
New Poster

Cannot connect to the internet with IE8 and WindowsXP.

I cannot connect to "most" internet locations including comcast email with IE8 and WindowsXP since the latest Zfinity speed upgrade.  (My MacBook connects with a fast connection.)

I was unable to get this resolved after hours on the phone.  Something has changed somewhere because some sites connect others do not.

Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot connect to the internet with IE8 and WindowsXP.

The problem is that XP is outdated, and a lot of newer browser versions will not function right with it.  You need to update to a much newer version of Windows if you can.  IE-8 is no longer supported by Microsoft---------------------

http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/12/microsoft-ends-support-for-ie8-ie9-ie10-and-windows-8/

Internet Explorer 11 is the only version of IE now supported by Microsoft, and there is considerable speculation as to how long that will last.  Edge is the new normal for Microsoft browsers.

View answer in context
Email Expert

The problem is that XP is outdated, and a lot of newer browser versions will not function right with it.  You need to update to a much newer version of Windows if you can.  IE-8 is no longer supported by Microsoft---------------------

http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/12/microsoft-ends-support-for-ie8-ie9-ie10-and-windows-8/

Internet Explorer 11 is the only version of IE now supported by Microsoft, and there is considerable speculation as to how long that will last.  Edge is the new normal for Microsoft browsers.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Email Expert

I should have checked earlier.  IE-11 will be supported through the end of the time cycle for Windows 10:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/End-of-IE-support

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon