Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Cannot Access the video clips listed under "Today in Video"

New Poster

I have been trying to go in a view the video clips listed under Today in Video and I can't get them to boot up.

Frequent Visitor

"Watch Top Videos" Not Playing

Today out of the clear blue sky, I powered up my MacBook Pro and clicked on the "Watch Top Videos" and no videos dispay.  It shows "Now Playing" but the screen is black. The videos were displaying yesterday but not today.  Anybody out there having this same problem.  I have also accessed my HP desktop and there is no problem playing the videos on my pc, just on my mac.  Hope somebody out there has a solution. Thanks

New Poster

I'm running OS X El Capitan and videos won't play

I have xfinity setup as my homepage, and when I try to play videos– They don't work. I'm running OS X El Capitan on a Mac book Pro. This is only a problem when I'm using Safari, And not chrome.

New Poster

Since upgrading to El Capitan, I can no longer watch streaming video on Xfinity. What gives?

I have been trying to watch past episodes of a TNT show using the connection provided by Xfinity, my browser is the standard issue Safari.  The advertisements run just fine, but the episode itself will not load or play.

Several months ago, while still running Snow Leopard, I was able to watch past episodes from CBS without any glitches.

I have tried troubleshooting my connection, I have made sure that I'm using IPv4 (if that has any bearing at all).  Where do I look now to find the answer because I am at a loss.

HELP??    Charlene

Official Employee

Re: Since upgrading to El Capitan, I can no longer watch streaming video on Xfinity. What gives?

SadieBluesLady wrote:

I have been trying to watch past episodes of a TNT show using the connection provided by Xfinity, my browser is the standard issue Safari.  The advertisements run just fine, but the episode itself will not load or play.

Hi Charlene! For comparison have you tried to watch the show in a different browser on your Mac - Chrome or Firefox? I'm curious if the problem is specific to Safari, especially since you mentioned you recently upgraded. Also, are you watching these episodes through xtv.comcast.net?

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Official Employee

Re: I'm running OS X El Capitan and videos won't play

facetor12 wrote:

This is only a problem when I'm using Safari, And not chrome.

Chrome has a built-in Flash player, and Safari does not. Do you by any chance have Adobe Flash installed on your Mac? Are the videos from a Comcast website that you're trying to play, or are they from other sources/websites on the Internet?

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Re: Since upgrading to El Capitan, I can no longer watch streaming video on Xfinity. What gives?

I was forced to set my browser default to Safari last year when my Chrome account was corrupted by email malware and the problem was spreading rapidly.  An Apple support person talked me through the very complicated and ugly restore process but since that time I have not been willing to go back to Chrome.  Firefox upgrades screwed up other accounts years earlier so I am unwilling to go back there either.

I do use a Flash plug-in, no need to use Silverlight, etc.  However, when I use the Internet to go directly to a channel's web page to watch past episodes, they will not run.  This problem came to a head with a show I wanted to watch on the TBS site.  I was able to watch it (and all the annoying advertisements still in place) through Xfinity however having to watch the ads made the process too frustrating to continue.

Why can't I watch videos directly from the channel's own site?

Official Employee

I've attempted to duplicate the issue between Safari and Chrome running in OS X 10.11.2.

I was not able to get the video to load in Safari, however in Chrome I was able to get both TBS East and West to load. The only difference is that in Chrome I was asked to log into my XFINITY account so TBS could confirm my subscription. I stay logged into my XFINITY account on Safari, so I wasn't asked to log in again in that browser.

This leads me to believe that it may be a caching or security cookie issue with Safari. Can you delete the cache, cookies, and history from within Safari and attempt to view live TV or past episodes after you're prompted to sign into your XFINITY account again?

It is also possible that the the Safari Power Saver feature which keeps plugins like Flash from consuming too much power, is enabled. To find out if it is, from within the Safari menu, go to Preferences... --> Advanced tab, and look to see if the feature has the box checked like you see here:

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 8.19.50 AM.png

Un-check the box, restart Safari, then try to view the video again from the website.

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

"Watch Top Videos" Not Playing
Options
Today out of the clear blue sky, I powered up my MacBook Pro and clicked on the "Watch Top Videos" and no videos dispay. It shows "Now Playing" but the screen is black. The videos were displaying yesterday but not today. Anybody out there having this same problem. I have also accessed my HP desktop and there is no problem playing the videos on my pc, just on my mac. Hope somebody out there has a solution. ThanksI have been trying to go in a view the video clips listed under Today in Video and I can't get them to boot up.

Having the same problem:

Customer Expert

Re: Cannot Access the video clips listed under "Today in Video"

Can you try with another web browser on your Mac? Which browser are you using?

I just watched part of a spacewalk on my Mac running El Capitan OS and Safari. It was one of the "Today in Video" videos available off the Comcast home page.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

New Poster

news videos

2016 I have a mac with Safari browser and xfinity home page. The news videos do not play. Anyone?

Customer Expert

Re: news videos

It works for me. Have you tried a different web browser to try to narrow down where the problem is?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Re: Cannot Access the video clips listed under "Today in Video"

dwfrese wrote:

I have been trying to go in a view the video clips listed under Today in Video and I can't get them to boot up.

I was able to initially replicate this issue in Safari on OS X 10.11.4 (public beta). The problem - at least for me - was the popup blocker that I was using (uBlock) was reading the videos as "ad content" and keeping them from playing. If you use a plugin that blocks ad content from websites, try whitelisting freewheel.tv and reload the page. That worked for me.

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

Sue211 wrote:

2016 I have a mac with Safari browser and xfinity home page. The news videos do not play. Anyone?

I've been able to track this issue down to plugins, specifically ad blockers, that restrict the videos to load on the page. Could you please try to disable any ad blocking plugins you have active within Safari and try again?

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Visitor

Same for me. It seems to revolve around Adobe. One day it worked and the next day it did not.

Somebody please advise stus/fix available during this milenium.

Cable Expert

Check the Safari / security settings and allow plug-ins, check the plug in settings that Adobe Flash Player shows up on the left.  

I also have both flash players installed, under settings / flash and you might need both NPAPI and PPAPI plug-ins.

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 4.33.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-01-19 at 4.34.39 PM.png

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Today In Video

Today In Video does not play. What software, if any, do I need on a Mac to get this to function?

Cable Expert

Re: Today In Video

Did you see this existing thread on the issue?

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Macintosh/Cannot-Access-the-video-clips-listed-under-quot-Today-in-Vide...

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Visitor

news clips & videos do not play

When I click on a news clip/link on the Home page, it diverts to the Today in Video page. The wheel spins but the videos never play. None of them on that page ever play.

Customer Expert

Re: news clips & videos do not play

Allow plug-ins. 

Look at this response to a similar question:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Macintosh/Cannot-Access-the-video-clips-listed-under-quot-Today-in-Vide...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

PLAYING VIDEOS ON THE SITE

I am on a MacBook Air with OS 10.11.3. Why don't any of the videos play on my home site?

New Poster

Mac air book videos only sound on Xfinity...no picture

How can I get pictures on my Mac Air book for videos.  Only sound is heard.