Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can access internet wirelessly from my wifi gateway except for my win 8.1 desktop

ANSWERED
New Poster

Can access internet wirelessly from my wifi gateway except for my win 8.1 desktop

for some reason I get an error message like "DNS server isn't responding". 

First iwas told that it was my OS as I originally had win 10 on it

then I downgraded back to 8.1, same issue

then I noticed that if I reboot the modem then I can connect to Internet but it only lasts a few minutes

all the other devices can connect successfully

what could be happening??

Accepted Solution

Re: Can access internet wirelessly from my wifi gateway except for my win 8.1 desktop

Nicob001 wrote:
yes. DHCP is enabled and DNS servers are correctly set.
I'm starting to think wifi signal is not strong enough. Is there a way to measure the strength of the signal? What should be the minimum value to ensure continuous and stable signal? Thanks!

Try conncting an ethernet cable directly from desktop to modem/router...  can you access the Internet this way?

If you have a smartphone, the easiest way to view Wifi analytics is by using an APP...  WiFi Analyzer is one such app...   Look to see how congested your channel is by seeing how many neighbors are also using the same channee and change it if it is congested....  You will also be able to see your signal levels and those of others around you in the APP.

Additionally, see this link for more information concerning WiFi and how it can be affected:  http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal 

View answer in context
Service Expert

Re: Can access internet wirelessly from my wifi gateway except for my win 8.1 desktop

Nicob001 wrote:

for some reason I get an error message like "DNS server isn't responding". 

First iwas told that it was my OS as I originally had win 10 on it

then I downgraded back to 8.1, same issue

then I noticed that if I reboot the modem then I can connect to Internet but it only lasts a few minutes

all the other devices can connect successfully

what could be happening??

Take a look at your Network Connections and Network Adaptor settings.... ensure that DHCP is being used and there are no other DNS servers being listed as a first step...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I'm starting to think wifi signal is not strong enough. Is there a way to measure the strength of the signal? What should be the minimum value to ensure continuous and stable signal? Thanks!
Service Expert

Nicob001 wrote:

Try conncting an ethernet cable directly from desktop to modem/router...  can you access the Internet this way?

If you have a smartphone, the easiest way to view Wifi analytics is by using an APP...  WiFi Analyzer is one such app...   Look to see how congested your channel is by seeing how many neighbors are also using the same channee and change it if it is congested....  You will also be able to see your signal levels and those of others around you in the APP.

Additionally, see this link for more information concerning WiFi and how it can be affected:  http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks for all your advices. I found out that the location of the modem is an important factor! Smiley Happy