New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Cable Splitter: TV/Internet

ANSWERED
New Poster

Cable Splitter: TV/Internet

Hi All,

Can I split the incoming coax line into a feed for TV and a feed for the internet to a cable modem? If so, what kind of a splitter should I get (and suggested sources if available)?  The physical distance from a proposed split location to each device is about 15 feet.

Thank you!

Accepted Solution

Re: Cable Splitter: TV/Internet

by

Yes, provided that the signals are adequate enough to allow for the additional attenuation that splitter will intro duce.

You need to use a high quality and cable rated for 5-1000 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage from Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc.

Here are some quality splitters that Comcast actually uses in different market areas;

Antronix CMC2002H 2-Way Splitter: http://www.amazon.com/Antronix-CMC2002H-2-Way-Splitter/dp/B001E4OH1E

Regal 2 WAY 1 GHZ SPLITTER: http://www.amazon.com/DIG702867-Regal-WAY-GHZ-SPLITTER/dp/B0018BQMUM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF...

Extreme Broadband BDS102H 2-Way Digital Coax Splitter: http://www.amazon.com/EXTREME-DIGITAL-PERFORMANCE-CABLE-SPLITTER/dp/B007YV0UQW

View answer in context
Connection Expert

Yes, provided that the signals are adequate enough to allow for the additional attenuation that splitter will intro duce.

You need to use a high quality and cable rated for 5-1000 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage from Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc.

Here are some quality splitters that Comcast actually uses in different market areas;

Antronix CMC2002H 2-Way Splitter: http://www.amazon.com/Antronix-CMC2002H-2-Way-Splitter/dp/B001E4OH1E

Regal 2 WAY 1 GHZ SPLITTER: http://www.amazon.com/DIG702867-Regal-WAY-GHZ-SPLITTER/dp/B0018BQMUM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF...

Extreme Broadband BDS102H 2-Way Digital Coax Splitter: http://www.amazon.com/EXTREME-DIGITAL-PERFORMANCE-CABLE-SPLITTER/dp/B007YV0UQW

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Silver Problem Solver

You most likely can split it if the signal is strong enough. It won't hurt to try.

Home Depot and Lowes sell high quality splitters. Should say something like 1000mhz.

Cable Expert

You can certainly split for a TV and a modem.  You need a 2-way splitter with specs of 5-1000mhz.  A high quality splitter is best with a soldered back.  You might be able to pick up a splitter and some coax jumpers at your local Comast office, no charge.

There are a lot of cheap splitters in retail stores, stay away from gold colored ones and ones with glued backs.  

The better ones are from brands such as Regal, Holland, Commscope, Extreme Broadband Engineering.  You will find these on Ebay and other online electronic stores specializing in TV equipment.  These brands is what Comcast uses.

You can also go to Best Buy and buy the Comcast high speed internet self install kit and it will include the proper splitter, a 3' coax cable, a 20' coax cable and some staples.  That might end up cheaper than purchasing online.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon

Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Connection Expert

Darn echoes....

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

all right thank you so much, I will try the comcast office and see if they can probide the splitter.

Problem Solver

Googled and Verified .

Connection Expert

Oh goody....

Marked solved thread now closed.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation