New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Back-up info

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

Back-up info

Comcast keeps asking me for back-up information... You ask me for a personal email address that does not end in comcast.net.  I don't have one and why would I want one?  Seems like a dumb question to me.

Accepted Solution

Re: Back-up info

Hi, Tadu - This process has been implemented for the security purpose. These days, any email server (yahoo, gmail, and etc) asks you for an alternative email and phone number in case if you get blocked, hacked, or simply don't remember your password. Your Comcast email is not just an email, it's also a username. Let's say if somebody gets an access to your primary email - this person will get an access to all your private account information and also to all your secondary emails. 

Welcome_to_Post - Are you getting this pop up for your secondary email? 

View answer in context
Bronze Problem Solver

Comcast made some odd decisions on what's required for this backup info. They have my cell phone as the main contact line, but keep asking for another one, which I don't have and don't need.  Until or unless they change it, about the only think you  can do is click "ask me later" (lower left, I think, in very tiny font) to bypass it. 

Official Employee

Hi, Tadu - This process has been implemented for the security purpose. These days, any email server (yahoo, gmail, and etc) asks you for an alternative email and phone number in case if you get blocked, hacked, or simply don't remember your password. Your Comcast email is not just an email, it's also a username. Let's say if somebody gets an access to your primary email - this person will get an access to all your private account information and also to all your secondary emails. 

Welcome_to_Post - Are you getting this pop up for your secondary email? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon