Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Auto-fill in email - How to shut off

New Poster

Auto-fill in email - How to shut off

Where / how can I shut off the auto-fill function in xfinity mail?  It is annoyingly inaccurate.

Email Expert

Re: Auto-fill in email - How to shut off

If you are still on the old email format-------------------

The auto-complete feature in the Comcast address book has it's own memory. You can't access it or alter it. Periodically Comcast will re-set accounts, and at that time entries that have been deleted from your address book should vanish. However, they only do that sporadically, on no particular schedule. So those old addresses could keep popping up for quite a while.

Also, when you type an address into the To: Cc: or Bcc: fields, the feature will remember it if you actually send an email to that address, even if it’s not in the address book. It's actually pretty common behavior with webmail accounts.

If you are on the new format, -----------------you have more control. From the Inbox page click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen, then on Settings>>>>>Mail>>>>Mail Settings. Under Common you will see the option to enable or disable retention of email addresses in the Collected Addresses folder. That folder is found in the address book, and there you can delete contacts that appear in the auto-fill.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks for the reply and suggestions . . . however, the auto-fill function I was referring to was when typing in the body of the text, in the email message itself, not having to do with addresses.

If anyone has suggestions for turning off the auto-fill function in the body of the text, I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks ~ KB9953

Email Expert

There is no other auto-fill in the Comcast webmail.  Exactly what are you referring to?  How are you accessing your email?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Recently, with my regular computer in the shop for a little attention, I was having to utilize the online Comcast email application which I was accessing via the Xfinity User Login. 

The auto-fill function I'm talking about takes place while I'm typing an email message to someone.  The email program "tries to guess" what word I'm typing and "auto-fills" in the letters it anticipates I'm about to type to complete the word.  The problem is the program's algorithm for "determining" the word isn't very good . . . so it auto-fills in a word that doesn't match the word I was going for, and often isn't close to the context of the phrase or sentence.  Then one has to stop, backspace enough to clear the auto-filled letters; then as one tries to proceed forward again, the program might again try to auto-fill the same wrong word.  Talk aboout frustrating!  That's why I want to turn it off.

Thanks again.

Email Expert

How are you accessing the email?  On another computer or a tablet or smartphone or what?  There is no auto-fill for the body of an email you are composing in the Appsuite software.  Whatever you are seeing is not being generated by the email software.  It's being generated by the device operating system, or maybe a browser extension like Grammarly or some such.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation