members

online now

discussions

Apple Mail and Safari

ANSWERED
Contributor

Apple Mail and Safari

I have an iMac - OS X.6.8

Yesterday, my Apple Mail stopped receiving and sending eMails from my Comcast.net email address. Additionally, Safari (5.1.10) will no longer completely load many webpages and www.comcast.net won't load at all. Everything was working on Wednesday.

What happened? Did Comcast change something?

Any help will be appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Re: Apple Mail and Safari

I don't think you need to reinstall the operating system. Chrome is working fine. I was thinking that maybe this machine was connecting to a neighbor's wifi or something like that. But Chrome is working fine.

I think I'd still go in to System Preferences > Network and see how you are connecting. Is this machine connected with an Ethernet cable or wifi

Is Safari as up-to-date as it can be? You might try Safari > Reset Safari. That will wipe out a lot of Safari data. It's pretty drastic.

Firefox has a Refresh Firefox that is not quite as drastic. 

You might try one or the other of those to see if it matters. I'd do that to the one I use least.

Don't change the mail settings until we understand what's happening ... On the iPad and MacBook Pro, are you using IMAP to get your mail or POP? Is the incoming mail server imap.comcast.net or mail.comcast.net? Did you change it to imap.comcast.net on your iMac even though it is still a POP account?

You could try to change it back to mail.comcast.net with 995 as the incoming port number.

If the other machines are using your mail as IMAP, I suggest going into Mail and disabling your Comcast account (Preferences > Account  > select the account > Advanced tab > uncheck "Enable this account". Then create a new Comcast IMAP account.

View answer in context
Customer Expert

Part of finding a solution is narrowing down where the problem is. 

One possibility is that you have a cable connection problem. Does any other web browser work? How did you post this question?

Are there other users on your computer? Do they have the same problem?

Can you get into the web-based mail from your Phone or some other device? How is that device connecting to the internet?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

I have three web browsers on my iMac... Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.

Safari and Firefox are affected. Chrome is not.

Regarding Apple Mail... this is a real puzzler...

1. I can't receive or send eMail from Comcast or gMail... but iCloud works fine... on my iMac.

2. I CAN send and receive eMail from Comcast and gMail using my Laptop and iPads

3. I can access my web eMail from Comcast and gMail on my iMac... but only from Google Chrome.

Any help will be appreciated. These issues are very frustrating to deal with.

Thanks very much BethKatz

Customer Expert

I'm having some bizarre network troubles of my own, so I understand how frustrating it can be.

As a start, let's try to delete the Comcast cookies in Safari. I am not suggesting deleting all cookies but only the Comcast ones. In Safari, go to Safari > Preferences > Privacy. There should be a way to see Details as shown below (1448 websites in mine!?):

SafariPrivacy.jpg

Click on Details. Type Comcast in the search box. This is what I see. You could delete them and then try again.

SafariComcastCookies.jpg

For Mail, what happens when you go to the Windows menu (next to Help) and use Connection Doctor? What does it say the problem is?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I am using an iMac 3.2Ghz Intel Core 3, 12GB RAM, System 10.6.8.

Two days ago Safari and Firefox started acting "screwy." Some web pages won't load, some load excruciatingly slow, and some load OK as before. Using Google to search for something takes 5-8 minutes to produce any "hits," and if you choose any links, they take forever to load too. I can't access the Comcast and gMail webmail on Safari. The page won't load.

Oddly, Chrome works without any issues... so far. Web pages load quickly in Chrome. Google searches produce results in seconds. Even more oddly, I CAN access webmail from Comcast and gMail with Chrome

Concurrently, my Mail app stopped working too. I can no longer send or receive eMail from my Comcast account and my gMail account. Connection Doctor says "Cannot connect to this xxxx server. Check your network connections and that you have enteered the correct information in account preferences. Verify the server supports SSL. If it does not, deselect the "Use SSL" box in the Advanced Tab of account preferences."

Mysteriously, my iCloud account works fine. I have checked and re-checked all the account information. On my iPad and my Mac Book Pro, my Comcast and gMail accounts work correctly as usual.

What would cause this issue? Can I correct it?

Could I reinstall Snow Leopard? I remember you used to be able to do something called a "clean install" and replace the system folder with a brand new system. Can you still do that? Could that be a possible fix?

Contributor

One more thing, Connection Doctor also returned these results...

"

WROTE Mar 29 20:53:10.617 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNegotiatedSSL] -- host:imap.mail.me.com -- port:993 -- socket:0x1192e2c90 -- thread:0x1152f3cd0
2.48 LIST "" ""

READ Mar 29 20:53:10.679 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNegotiatedSSL] -- host:imap.mail.me.com -- port:993 -- socket:0x1192e2c90 -- thread:0x1152f3cd0
* LIST (\Noselect) "/" ""
2.48 OK Completed

WROTE Mar 29 20:53:10.687 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNegotiatedSSL] -- host:imap.mail.me.com -- port:993 -- socket:0x1192e2c90 -- thread:0x1152f3cd0
3.48 LOGOUT

Customer Expert

I don't think you need to reinstall the operating system. Chrome is working fine. I was thinking that maybe this machine was connecting to a neighbor's wifi or something like that. But Chrome is working fine.

I think I'd still go in to System Preferences > Network and see how you are connecting. Is this machine connected with an Ethernet cable or wifi

Is Safari as up-to-date as it can be? You might try Safari > Reset Safari. That will wipe out a lot of Safari data. It's pretty drastic.

Firefox has a Refresh Firefox that is not quite as drastic. 

You might try one or the other of those to see if it matters. I'd do that to the one I use least.

Don't change the mail settings until we understand what's happening ... On the iPad and MacBook Pro, are you using IMAP to get your mail or POP? Is the incoming mail server imap.comcast.net or mail.comcast.net? Did you change it to imap.comcast.net on your iMac even though it is still a POP account?

You could try to change it back to mail.comcast.net with 995 as the incoming port number.

If the other machines are using your mail as IMAP, I suggest going into Mail and disabling your Comcast account (Preferences > Account  > select the account > Advanced tab > uncheck "Enable this account". Then create a new Comcast IMAP account.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Thank Beth Kaz!

Contributor

I've always found rebooting the router/modem is a good first thing to try if there are connection issues.

Disconnect for 15 seconds from power & reconnect.

Tying Safari & Mail together is a stretch if one assumes that its an application problem.

Sounds like a network connection (to me).

A new build of Safari just got pushed (in case you aren't automatically updating).

Might be worth a try before wiping data. 

Contributor

Hello? (tap* tap*)

Nobody follows up to say whether they got it all fixed!

Contributor

Here's how I solved the problem... I followed all of Beth Kaz's suggestions... then I deleted the account from Mail and added it back as a IMAP account instead of a POP account. I have no idea what the difference between a IMAP account and a POP account... or why it suddenly stopped receiving mail... or why I had to delete the account instead of modifying it... but it worked!
Customer Expert

BethKatz wrote:

My suggestion was NOT to delete the original account. Disable it.

Then create a new account that is IMAP.

POP is one way of accessing your email on the server. It was developed many years ago assuming you were accessing the mail from one other device.

IMAP is another "newer" way of accessing your email. It works well with multiple devices.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Customer Expert

jam_band wrote:

Hello? (tap* tap*)

Nobody follows up to say whether they got it all fixed!

No response is normal for this (and other) forums. The original poster responded to my first reply. That's better than normal.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Outstanding: Joe DID respond! (Thanks, Joe! Good man).

Beth, I agree that its normal for most people never to follow up:

People are impatient, want instant service on their problems & get out.

Yet if a forum is supposed to be a community of users, this doesn't seem very community-oriented!

The result of failing to follow up is that there is no good record for anyone later to discover what worked & why.

We recreate the wheel, over & over - or pose the same questions, over & over.

Not a good use of resources. Its also just a little self-important, whether people mean to be, or not.

Occasionally there are reasons why the follow up isn't done, or forgotten, but its chronic on most forums.

I don't know why anyone should invest their time trying to help after awhile,

if there is no reward loop: simply knowing whether the suggestions fixed it.

Customer Expert

jam_band wrote:

Outstanding: Joe DID respond! (Thanks, Joe! Good man).

I don't know why anyone should invest their time trying to help after awhile,

if there is no reward loop: simply knowing whether the suggestions fixed it.

Many of us who have been helping here for many years wonder that, too. But sometimes people say thank you or note what worked.

Thank you, Joe.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Indeed. Joe is exceptional in that regard.

Nice to see people who are.

It does use up time & space to say that all worked well, if not thank the person who helped or may have been essential in getting things working. So does struggling with an issue yourself.

If something got repaired, a person might be hesitant to declare success immediately, in case it was premature.

Thanks for your helpful comments too, Beth.

I will pipe down now.

Valued Contributor

I have the same problems-- tried all the fixes above, and still nothing worked. Safari comcast page won't load, and yet some websites do load-- such as Amazon, eBay, and a few others. Mail won't work-- same can't connect message.

Contributor

Is this the same problem as the original poster?

His seems to be about Apple Mail client predominantly.

Re: Comcast page won't load.

No help, just some ideas:

• Are you blocking Javascript?
  • What search engine are you using be default?

Can't say whether its related to your experience or just a coincidence I've noticed; but I have noticed that if you use Duck Duck as your search engine, some Google-related sites are more reluctant to load.

If you are selectively blocking Javascript, or cookies -- sometimes sites refuse to play well.

After visiting some newspaper or radio station sites I often find Safari behaving badly.

Have you tried Firefox in a test comparison? (Do you use Noscript with Firefox?)

Customer Expert

Nancy1938 wrote:

I have the same problems-- tried all the fixes above, and still nothing worked. Safari comcast page won't load, and yet some websites do load-- such as Amazon, eBay, and a few others. Mail won't work-- same can't connect message.

Nancy, this sounds like several problems squished together. Mail, Safari, maybe some network issue. Are you still having problems?

The goal becomes narrowing down the possibilities of reasons for your problems.

I would try to connect to comcast.net with a different web browser (Chrome, Firefox, ...).

In Mail, I would run Connection Doctor (Window menu next to Help) and see what is failing.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Thank you for your suggestion about disabling and then enabling (in my case comcast.net).  I did not have to do the swap of the POP for IMAP, just remove and then "add".  You might want to add for the unsophisticated, that they have to go to the Apple (icon--top left of screen)>settings preferences>internet accounts>Mail Account, then select the email acct that is not responding, and click, then remove the check mark on "enable".  Then go to the + sign at the bottom of the Internet Accts screen and click on it. Then re-add your email carrier you just deleted.   Badgerette

joeswell wrote:
Here's how I solved the problem... I followed all of Beth Kaz's suggestions... then I deleted the account from Mail and added it back as a IMAP account instead of a POP account. I have no idea what the difference between a IMAP account and a POP account... or why it suddenly stopped receiving mail... or why I had to delete the account instead of modifying it... but it worked!

Frequent Visitor

Beth you seem very knowledgeable about the Mac products. I am not.

Im trying to help my 88 yo neighbor with his MAC. Its an older version so I made sure he got all the updates possible first. The issue is with both the MAIL client and the trying to access mail on the xfinity.com site. The internet IS connected, and he can access mail on his android but not the desktop MAC. Am earlier poster had the same issue but with IE. I reset Safari and cleared cache to no avail.

When signed in, the email icon on website is clicked , it just goes to the homepage.Any suggestiions?

I already spent 3 hours on the phone with tech support restting the router and enterin the network pin.

It all worked right after that. Then after the MAC was shut down and rebooted, this mail glitch.

Any suggestions would be a big help. Im an Windows person lost in a MAC world!

Thanks, AnnMarie

Frequent Visitor

Same issue. Invested now going on 8 hours trying to fix through all venues. No resolution.

Theres some sort of problem with the Safari and Mail connection to new Xfinity because the android works fine getting the mail etc

Frequent Visitor

Im trying to help an 88 yo neighbor who is clueless. A Comcast tech came to his house and suggested he install Chrome. Really? Thats like not really a solution now is it? Great  suggestion Badgerette, esp for me the  "unsophisticated"(on MAC only). Didnt work though. Router and internet connection is fine. Its got to be a Safari and Mac Mail issue... His Android phone works fine. But he is 88 and needs to view his mail on a larger text/screen...

For all the Windows bashing thats gone on over the years, Im glad I stuck with MS at times like these.

Open to any suggestions. I dread holding a cell phone for 3 hours talking to another tech...(not to mention the minutes)

Thank you to you all for investing selflessly of your time and wisdom.

AnnMarie