Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Address book problem

Frequent Visitor

Address book problem

I use Chrome as my browser connecting to Comcast email.  I have a group of addresses.  The addresses in this group are correct when I view the group.  When I select this group to email I get a different list of addresses.  Some of them have been deleted from my total address book.  How can I delete the erroneous group?

Email Expert

Re: Address book problem

If you are still in the old email format, open the address book from the Inbox page, then click on the group in the left pane on the landing page.  When you do that you will see a blue toolbar and one of the options is "Delete group".  If you are in the new format, again open the address book, and select the group in the left pane.  Then click on the "hamburger" icon to the right of it and you will see the option to "Remove".

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Will this destroy my correct group that shows when I display it.  It is bad when I try to use it like it is stored someplace else to be used.

Frequent Visitor

This group has 43 addresses.

Email Expert

a1miller wrote:

Will this destroy my correct group that shows when I display it.  It is bad when I try to use it like it is stored someplace else to be used.

I'm not sure what you mean-------but if you delete the group in the address book it will no longer appear in the auto-fill when you start typing it in the To: field.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

If I follow this instruction which group list am I removing?  To display my group in Address Book I get a different list than what I get when I use as a TO entry.

Email Expert

In the address book, if you select the group and then use the "Remove" command, that is the group that will be gone.  Understand that the individual contacts that were in the group will still be in the address book.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

That is the problem.  I seem to have to group files.  One I can modify and update and one I cannot.  Where do I find the one that is in error with bad addresses that is called when I enter the group to send emails?

Email Expert

Can you clarify--------are you saying that you have a group that you cannot delete?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Yes.  I deleted the 'group' id and it went away.  I went to 'new' in the email and selected 'to' and have the bad group that I cannot find to delete.

Email Expert

OK so you're saying this group keeps showing up in the To: field when you start typing in it?  If so, see here---------------------

If you are still on the old email format-------------------

The auto-complete feature in the Comcast address book has it's own memory. You can't access it or alter it. Periodically Comcast will re-set accounts, and at that time entries that have been deleted from your address book should vanish. However, they only do that sporadically, on no particular schedule. So those old addresses could keep popping up for quite a while.

Also, when you type an address into the To: Cc: or Bcc: fields, the feature will remember it if you actually send an email to that address, even if it’s not in the address book. It's actually pretty common behavior with webmail accounts.

If you are on the new format, -----------------you have more control. From the Inbox page click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen, then on Settings>>>>>Mail>>>>Mail Settings. Under Common you will see the option to enable or disable retention of email addresses in the Collected Addresses folder. That folder is found in the address book, and there you can delete contacts that appear in the auto-fill.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I still seem to have the old application.  I had not heard anything about a change to a new application until I got on this forum. So your saying I have no choice but to live with this situation.

Email Expert

I'm afraid so for the moment.  But understand that at some point you will be migrated to the new format.  You may or may not get an email letting you know it's "coming soon".  But it will happen.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Since this seems to be a known problem that many people seem to have you would think the programmers for this system would correct the problem before the users get fedup with it and drop the system.  I have been fighting this messup for over a year and have made no progress.

Email Expert

If it's any consolation, if you are still on the old format, at some point you will be migrated to the new one.  Hopefully that will resolve it for you as I outlined above.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation