Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Abyssmally slow OS X iTunes App Store downloads

Regular Visitor

Abyssmally slow OS X iTunes App Store downloads

For over three weeks now, iTunes App Store update downloads on my Mac running El Capitan have been too slow to be workable. A large update (i.e. Hearthstone) will take four hours or more. Funny thing is, everything else on my home network is performing fine, including downloading the same app updates directly to an iPad or iPhone. I try to conserve bandwidth by downloading updates once to iTunes on the Mac then syncing those updates to the iOS devices from there. But if this keeps up, I'll be forced to download apps separately to each device, and these multiple downloads would unnecessarily load the network. I've heard there can be routing issues between ISPs and Apple's servers, but I figured I'd have heard others complaining if it were widespread as that. Any others having a similar experience?

Steve

Tags (2)
Problem Solver

Re: Abyssmally slow OS X iTunes App Store downloads

sjb100 wrote:

For over three weeks now, iTunes App Store update downloads on my Mac running El Capitan have been too slow to be workable. A large update (i.e. Hearthstone) will take four hours or more. Funny thing is, everything else on my home network is performing fine, including downloading the same app updates directly to an iPad or iPhone. I try to conserve bandwidth by downloading updates once to iTunes on the Mac then syncing those updates to the iOS devices from there. But if this keeps up, I'll be forced to download apps separately to each device, and these multiple downloads would unnecessarily load the network. I've heard there can be routing issues between ISPs and Apple's servers, but I figured I'd have heard others complaining if it were widespread as that. Any others having a similar experience?

Steve

Have you tried clearing your cache or better still using a program like

"Clean My Mac"? I use that and also a program called "Memory Clean"

and it helped quite a bit. YMMV.

Good luck!

Regular Visitor

Yes, I've cleared the cache with Onyx, and I've reset the SMC and NVRAM as well. Overall system performance is great with the one exception of downloading app updates in iTunes. I'll look at giving "Clean My Mac" and "Memory Clean" a shot at it. Thanks!

Problem Solver

sjb100 wrote:

Yes, I've cleared the cache with Onyx, and I've reset the SMC and NVRAM as well. Overall system performance is great with the one exception of downloading app updates in iTunes. I'll look at giving "Clean My Mac" and "Memory Clean" a shot at it. Thanks!

Let us know how that works out for you.

Silver Problem Solver

Do not run "Clean my Mac" or Memory clean. Those programs serve no purpose, and can even make things worse. They will NOT make your downloads faster.

First run Speedtest, and report your download speed.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the sound advice. I'm not a big fan of the shotgun approach to problem solving, anyway. Overall performance is fine, which Speedtest will likely confirm. iTunes is still achingly slow, but it'll have to wait until I get fed up enough with it that I get out Wireshark or something like it to get a good look at what's going on.