New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

About Recovering Deleted Emails

ANSWERED
Email Expert

About Recovering Deleted Emails

One of the most common questions poeple have in this forum is whether or not they can recover emails that have been either deleted by themselves, or by the deletion schedules settings, or if they have simply gone missing.  So I tried a little experiment.  I called the 1-800 number for Comcast and through the call director wound up getting hooked up with some fellow in India.  I asked him how far back they can go to retrieve deleted emails.  He told me they can go 3 days back and no further.  Fine.

I also sent an email with the same question on Wednesday 09/17/2013, to the we_can_help@cable.comcast.com address.  Late in the afternoon 09/18/2013, a nice young lady from Comcast Corporate called and left me a message with her phone number on it.  I called her back this morning.  She had escalated my question up the line and what she was told is that there is no way to recover deleted emails------period!

This seems to be a real problem with Comcast----one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing half the time.  So now I really don't know if they can recover emails or not.  I mean they can't shoot you for asking, but I wouldn't bet the farm that they will be able to do anything for you.

Just sayin.     :smt102

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Accepted Solution

Re: About Recovering Deleted Emails

Thanks for the reminder.  I had forgotten  about that feature because, as you see in the thread, I didn't have it at the time.  I just checked and it's there now.  I notice mine goes back only 3 days, so maybe the Indian guy was right and Comcast Corporate is wrong?

Jeeeeeez!

View answer in context
Problem Solver

Hi Latoque,

Just to refresh your memory, these 2 threads came to mind.. 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Recovering-automatically-deleted-items/...

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/recovering-email-from-trash/m-p/1811987...

If as reasd said, comcast is pushing out 'A NEW FEATURE" with xfinity connect, they sure are being closed mouthed about the whole thing..

At some point, a red lettered person will make an announcement about new and innovative features within xfinity connect,  I can barely wait...  Smiley Happy  Smiley Wink     

ciao, bj

Email Expert

Thanks for the reminder.  I had forgotten  about that feature because, as you see in the thread, I didn't have it at the time.  I just checked and it's there now.  I notice mine goes back only 3 days, so maybe the Indian guy was right and Comcast Corporate is wrong?

Jeeeeeez!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Problem Solver

Doesn't alter the fact that changes are being made, "features" being inserted without any NOTIFICATION. What are they thinking, comcast or lithium? Who's in charge?

And first and foremost, comcast corporate is never wrong!!!!

Sent with Quick Reply.. Smiley Wink
Gold Problem Solver

Latoque wrote: ... what she was told is that there is no way to recover deleted emails ...

And yet, I'm sure I've seen employees do that for customers here in the forums, recovering as much as the past month or so, maybe more. Can't seem to find any of the threads, unfortunately . . .

... This seems to be a real problem with Comcast----one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing half the time. ...

Ya think? 

Problem Solver

In one of the above threads that I linked, I mentioned reasd indicated some knowledge of this feature. Wish he had elaborated more.. Hate not knowing who,what,when,where,&how...
I've also mentioned the incompatibility of the hands of comcast.. Comcast appears to be clueless in how to deal with paying customers.
And yes,Bruce, I think.. Smiley Happy Smiley Wink
ciao, bj--
sent with Quick Reply
Gold Problem Solver

BruceW wrote:

Latoque wrote: ... what she was told is that there is no way to recover deleted emails ...

And yet, I'm sure I've seen employees do that for customers here in the forums, recovering as much as the past month or so, maybe more. Can't seem to find any of the threads, unfortunately . . .

I finally stumbled over a thread where ComcastKen had some deleted emails restored. See http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Emails-missing/m-p/1662099#M230760

Contributor

Just realized this.  Comcast has been telling me to right click on trash to "recover deleted emails", however, I was running lite rather than the full version, I changed that in preferences and that option was available to me.  Didn't show me my missing emails but I thought was a step in the right direction.

Gold Problem Solver

The Recovery only works in the full version as you discovered.
Have you checked your EmailmDeletion Schedule settings? It could be that your Inbox Folder is set to delete email automatically. Go to the Inbox, click on Preferences, then click on the Email icon. Scroll down to the Email Deletion Schedule. Look at the number of days EACH Folder is set to when it automatically deletes email. Make any changes you wish to make to each Folder. Do change your Inbox to NEVER.

It won't help you with the emails lost, but will save you from having that problem going forward.
CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.