> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the
> connection. Possible causes for this include server
> problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Account: 'Jellobeanie's Mail', Server:
> 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response:
> '+OK', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
I tried the following solution, but I'm still having the same problem..
The portion that I have bolded pretty much explains it all. Unexpectedly terminated usually means that it started to download, then abruptly stopped due to a ' corrupt message ' sitting on the server
Best way to resolve this is to go to WEBMAIL and move all messages from your inbox and put them into a different folder
Then you will need to start moving them back into your inbox one at a time until you down load them all or until you find / destroy the corrupt message.
-I'm running windows 2000 pro
-I also have zone alarm (free version) and Norton antivirus installed. They have been ob my system for months with no problem with my email
Since yesterday afternoon I've had lengthy delays in signing on and accessing the mail site on comcast. Is there any reason to explain this? Today I can't retrieve the e-mail, although everything appears to be setting up normally.
0x800CCC0F is a common problem and is usually (but not in EVERY instance) caused by one of two things:
1. There is a corrupt or malformed email message on the server that is causing Outlook or Outlook Express or Entourage to fail downloading the waiting messages. The fix is to move all waiting inbox messages to another folder using Webmail and move them back to the Inbox one by one, downloading as you go. The one that fails to download is the faulty one and can be deleted or moved elsewhere if you wish to keep it. Continue til you have all your messages. If you find that you are doing this for every message, then it's more likely that #2 is the real problem.
2. You have a virus scanner or firewall blocking your email programs. Some features of McAfee Virus Scanner and Norton Anti-virus are known to cause trouble. Search this forum for how to handle each one. In general turn off both incoming and outgoing email scanning, and turn off the McAfee Wormstopper feature. Firewalls can sometimes be a problem as well, make sure your firewall is set to allow Outlook Express (msimn.exe) and/or Outlook (outlook.exe) to make connections on ports 25, 110, 465, and 995.
Please note that virus scanner and firewalls can auto-update themselves, which can result in changes even if you did nothing. So if things used to work and now do not, don't rule out #2 above just because you "didn't change anything".
I turned off Norton incoming email scan and my email downloads fine. The fact that I have Norton set to "auto update" is the reason email was fine one day and broke the next. Thanks everyone for the help. Now, if I just could get my Palm to sync using my USB conection..
I wanted to give you an update. I had the same problem today where I could not receive emails yet, I could send out and even use the Internet. I spoke to Bernice (7750756) earlier this evening and she determined that the problem was with the Norton SystemWorks 2004 software and suggested I contact Norton at 1-800-721-3934 - which I was redirected to 1-800-441-7234. Anyway those numbers did not work for me. I ended up using the on-line support via Norton SystemWorks. I was able to use the items listed in the fix to fix my problem. I think it would be a good idea to publish this information because it appears a number of use users are experiencing the same problems. Earlier today Norton idenfied a virus and several 'at risk' files. I ran my normal daily update of NORTON. Anyway after the update and fix of the virus and at risk files, I noticed I had no download for my email. I kept getting the server error. The fix process, at least for me, was to review my in limbo email via Comcast - I proceeded to delete certain emails and one was suspect which I think was created a problem - it was a warning, something about an email I had sent was undeliverable. I deleted it. Then I created a temporary folded in the Comcast account and moved all the remaining emails I wanted to keep. Then I moved them back to the COMCAST INBOX area so I could test the Norton fix. the steps Norton suggested were as follows:
1. Temporarily disable email protection - to allow the email messages to download so you can once again enable email protection - You are protected by Auto-Protect while email protection is disabled.
2. In the main window (NORTON) click Options.
3. Under the Options window under Internet, click email
4. Uncheck Scan Incoming mail
5. click ok
6. Open your email (in my case Outlook Express)
7. go back to Norton and reenable the scan Incoming mail box.
I tested the process and it seemed to work. I suspect there was a mixture of something about the latest update of the NORTON virus process and the suspect email message that contributed to the problem. Because this seems to be a similar problem others are having today, it might be a good idea to get to the bottom of this - possibly working with NORTON on this.