The Error message is: Task 'pop.comcast.net--sending and receiving' reported error Ox8004210A. The operation timed out waiting for a response forom the receiving POP server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server adminisstrator or internet service provider.
I am on a home computer.
This began November 19 or 20 out of the blue. It happens whether my Norton Anti-Virus or Firewall is on or off.
1. Do not use pop.comcast.net. Since that is the account name, I assume the POP3 server was set to that at one time. It's undocumented, and due to DNS problems, is not always available. Not to mention when using SSL, the cert names a different server. Use only mail.comcast.net
2. Timeout errors are usually due to either wrong server, wrong port, or firewall/virus scanner interference. Unless you killed all the backgroud scanner and firewall tasks, you didn't turn them off and they will still block. So either try again after all backgroup tasks have been killed, or rename the directories they are in and reboot.
Thank you! Out of the blue, after someone (you?) sent test messages, the e-mail came through as a POP account.
Nevertheless I tried to reset Microsoft Outlook account settings by Tools, e-mail accounts, change or edit account. I changed e-mail from POP.comcast.net to mail.comcast.net. When I closed out, I noticed that it was still POP. There is no Apply button. I did this several times. I must be using the wrong place to change the settings?
Then twice it did not work, then it did work, with your new test message, except that your test message came in on a POP setting. After this a timed out message came back and I had to walk the dog.
I'm sorry, perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly. Your messages indicates your account name is "pop.comcast.net". This account name can be anything you wish, it's purely descriptive so you can tell your accounts apart if you have more than one. This name has a default value that is the same as the incoming POP3 server name when you created the account, so from this I know you created an account that has pop.comcast.net as the incoming server. Now while that server name works (at least in some areas), it's not a great idea as I pointed out earlier and you should use the documented value of mail.comcast.net as the incoming server. This means not changing the account name (which I would do anyway), but rather the incoming server name. To do that and save the change do this:
1. Open up Outlook.
2. Select Tools.
3. Select E-mail Accounts....
4. Select View or change existing e-mail accounts...
5. Press Next
6. Select your Comcast email account.
7. Press Change...
8. The field Incoming mail server (POP3): should read mail.comcast.net
9. Press Next
10. Press Finish.
And you should be all set (in this respect, anyway ;-)).
If after you make this change you are still having a problem, then you will need to provide all your account settings and Outlook version, a copy of your OPMLog.txt file (after you have turned on mail logging), and whether your are running a firewall and virus scanner.