Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

door sensor battery low

New Poster

door sensor battery low

How do I change a door sensor battery? The touch screen says there's supposed to be a release on the bottom, but all I see are 2 small slits on the sides. How do I open it to change the battery?

Regular Contributor

Re: door sensor battery low

The top can be popped off from those side slits. You may have to pry a little. I have not done it but I watched a tech do it on a service call when they had to be repaired.
Frequent Visitor

I need to replace a door sensor battery.  What type battery do they use?

New Poster

Is the door sensor the little that is right near the dorr or is it the bigger motion sensor. How do you take it apart and what type of batteries do you use? Does comcast do it for free?

Valued Contributor

The battery is in the larger part of the sensor, the thin small part is just a magnet. Comcast offers 2 types of door sensors SMC (a skinny tall sensor) and visonic (a fatter short sensor). The SMC are easy to open there is a latch at the top or bottom that needs pressed down with a finger and the cover comes off. The Visonics you will need a small screw driver to pry open there are 2 slits on the side of the sensor to apply pressure. Both use the same battery. they both use cr2 batteries.

Hope that was helpful

New Poster

When they installed my system the tech said that they would replay the batteries when needed. Comcast does the replacement for free!

New Poster

Just a note on this;

A month after I had Xfinity Home installed, I called Comcast because one of my door sensors wasn't working, and a reboot didn't work.  They scheduled a service rep to come to my house.  When he got here, he checked & found that that the battery just needed replacing.  The rep informed me that I would get charged $40 if he replaced the battery, but he showed my husband how to do the change himself. 

So no, Comcast does not replace the batteries for free.

When the system was installed, we were never informed we would need to periodically change the batteries ourselves; and this should not have needed to be changed after only a month.

New Poster

Sensors take a CR2032 watch size battery (quarter size).

Official Employee

depends on the door sensor... if its one of the flat ones then yes, it's the CR2032, if the sensor is thick, then it's a cr123.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I tried using the screwdriver and I still can't get it open. Any other suggestions?
Official Employee

I looked up which sensor you have, it's the thicker one.  They can be a little tricky to get open depending on where it is mounted (on the door or the frame.)  If it's mounted to the door opening the door usually helps, gets you a better angle.

You can save yourself the time and expense of the battery and have a technicain come out and change it for you.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Same thing happened to me.  Not even a month of service.  Oh, and the touchscreen keeps searching for the sensor when this happens, whether or not you turn off the zone, so the touchscreen beeps constantly when you have this issue.  Day or night.  Motion sensors not working either.  Obviously not quality materials are used for their system.

New Poster

Our home too has this happen in just 1 month. Do the barteries have to be replaced often? Will this be a necessary thing to have a supply of those thick disc batteries? Expensive!
Valued Contributor

Batteries should last a year or longer.  I have had most of mine for about 3 years and have only had to change out one battery on the door that gets used the most.  It is possible that the units that are failing after only a month might have been setting in the techs truck and due to hot temperature may have been improperly stored and drained.  Try replacing with new fresh batteries and if these still need replacing in a month then there is probably something wrong with the sensor and it should be replaced.  Everyone shold know that anything that has batteries will at some point have to have them replaced and not have to be told.

New Poster

how do i change door sensor battery

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 14 in conversation