Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity Home Security and routing questions

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 102 of 183 (6,419 Views)

Re: Xfinity Home Security and routing questions

Axil,
If you read my post, it is totally possible to throw it behind your current router, even thought Comcast advises you not to. 

I even took it a step further and threw it behind a network repeater.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 103 of 183 (6,370 Views)

I recently had the home security service setup. Already had an existing home network setup with custom IP's (10.x.x.x). The service tech insisted that the Comcast router sit first in my chain of devices (I had Vonage VOIP service & 5Ghz netgear router already installed). I also had custom ports opened for remote access to my server and media equipment.

While the tech was STILL at my home installing the equipment, I noticed that my Internet service went in & out about every 10-15 minutes. The tech noticed this as well and I told the tech that I suspected that the comcast netgear router was causing issues because that NEVER happened before. The tech told me that it shouldn't be the issue and to just reset everything (I did that 5 times).

AFTER the tech left my Internet connection continued to go in and out every 10-20 minutes. Finally, I got fed up and put the Comcast Netgear router BEHIND my primary Netgear 5Ghz router. Now everything runs fine. And I can still access my cameras remotely.

I'm extremely frustrated that they insisted that NOTHING would work without having the Comcast router first in the chain of devices before all other equipment. But it's working far more stable than how they initially set it up.

What gives???

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 104 of 183 (6,348 Views)

Personally I would wonder if putting the Comcast router that communicates with the security devices, and with Comcast, behind your firewall would prevent the service from communicating properly with the central office.

I'm curious... do you still get alerts?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 105 of 183 (6,290 Views)

@dboy 
I checked to make sure everything still communicates correctly. 
Desktop panel gets all the alerts that the home screen does. 
Mobile app can set/disarm security. 

I even had a Xfinity tech who in the area check my service to make sure I was being monitored, and I am. 

Bottom line, don't put their router first.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 106 of 183 (6,277 Views)

Hey thanks for answering. Very helpful!
Posted by
Visitor

Message 107 of 183 (6,200 Views)

Jon

Jou can actually order a siren repeater which will extend the siren, and they work well cost like 89 dollars or something to that effect

Posted by
Visitor

Message 108 of 183 (6,076 Views)

Alright guys - I'm a network tech (not for xfinity/comcast - I do commercial installs for Gov't/big business), just had xfinity home installed on my new home, along with the extreme 105 internet. The techs and customer service is trained to tell you to set things up a certain way, but I'll tell you guys how I've gotten the best results, and how I see devices configured.

First off, heres the devices I'm currently using:

Motorola SB6580 Wireless Gateway - this is my own cable modem/router, that customer service originally told me I couldn't use for home security. This is not true. You can use your own modem as long as it is approved on their network and DOCSIS 3.0 compatible.

Netgear Router - This is their "security router", the device you guys keep being told to run everything threw. THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO RUN LOCAL THREW THIS ROUTER.

DLink 655 Router - This is my local area router, which does my port forwarding, DNS hosting, and local IP assignment.

Setup:

Motorola modem/router (or your main modem/router) - IP address needs to be set to 10.0.0.1, and it needs to subnet out threw 10.0.0.2-10.0.0.254.

DLink router WAN port plugs into Motorola modem port (any port works), and gets assigned threw WAN an IP of 10.0.0.2. The DLink needs to be set for it's local IP network on 192.168.0.1, which will subnet your local network out on 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254, thus avoiding conficts with the original modem/router.

The NetGear Security router is pluged into any other port on the modem from the WAN port, and has an IP of 76.16.12.1. It assigns IP's out to your home security devices ranging from 76.16.12.2-76.16.12.254. You CAN NOT change any of the security router settings, so your network has to be built with this in mind to avoid conficts.

So the wiring diagram is basicly like this:

cable line (ISP's Assigned IP) to main router/modem (10.0.0.1), ethernet 1 to local router WAN (assigned 10.0.0.2, subnets to 192.168.0.x), ethernet 2 to security router WAN (assigned to 10.0.0.3, subnets to 76.16.12.x).

With this setup, I'm achieving my Extreme 105 speeds (currently testing consistant @ 95mbps/23mbps), and it keeps my local network data from interfering with the security router. Therefor, Local is independent, security is independent, and they both share my purchased modem for internet connectivity.

Let me know if this setup works for you guys - 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 109 of 183 (6,049 Views)

DONT USE XFINITY HOME SECURITY SYTEMS!!!! We have had nothing but troubles form install to when we needed the system for theft, it failed to record a theft and no help from Comcast, just a call saying sorry the system failed and two weeks to get a repair person, who did not show when we took the day off. They have not trained the techs and inside help is rude and hang up when they don’t have answers!!!!! The motion systems has fallen off the wall and set off the alarm several times. They never show up when they say they don’t know!!!  This is a Alarm system for safety of your family not a cable service...THEY DONT NO WHAT THEY ARE DOING IN THE ALARM BUSINESS! Save you time, money and most important our family! ....oh by the way after pulling the system out of the house for not working, they have sent me a bill for $950 for terminating early, I guess you are to live with a service that does not work and has to be repaired monthly!  THEY ARE THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED WITH>>>USE ANYONE BUT COMCAST!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 110 of 183 (5,949 Views)

I am also trying to get my personal IP cameras to show on my network - with the Xfinity router in front of my router.  After exposing my personal router to the network in the touch screen settings, I was not able to see my personal/separate cameras I had already had in place until I added another host name with dyndns to go directly to the IP address and ports now showing as the "Internet Port."   Does anyone know if the IP address for the internet port (from the Xfinity router to mine) is static or dynamic?  If static, I may not need the services of dyndns any longer but if the internet port is dynamic, then I do not readily know how to get dyndns to get to that internet port.  Webhop/Redirect?

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 111 of 183 (5,923 Views)

I have a full Comcast Home Security install thsi week

The question on the router are concerning me. I def. do not want the Security Router in front of all my owned equipment.

- Are the tech allowing to be put behind the owner router (Asus RT-66AC)?

- Does it impact any of the services provided?

On a side note, I just realized the camera require it to be plugged into a power outlet. I though they would be power over ethernet or something? Do the tech's that install the camera also do the wiring (Power / AC) to get it up and running?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 112 of 183 (5,904 Views)

I had the Home Security install last Friday.  Tech connected the security router in front of my router (Apple Airport Extreme) and directly to my cable modem.  What I noticed is that my work VPN kept getting knocked offline repeatedly.  On Saturday, I reconfigured it by connecting my Extreme directly to my cable modem and coonecting the security router to a switch connected to the Extreme.  No issues with alerts, etc. The one BIG thing I saw is that the security router is only a 10/100 router, so by having it in front of my Extreme is was throttling the rest of my home network down (it is gig-e). 

The only issue I still have is that my SAN, which is attached to the same switch as the security router, is no longer viewable from the desktop app I use to control it, so I have a hunch the security router has assigned it an ip address and not my Extreme.  I do have a switch here in my office so I'm going to bring the SAN here and see if attaching it to this switch allows the Extreme to assign an ip address and also allows me to see my SAN again via the desktop app.  If that works, what I am thinking I'll do is purchase a 2nd switch and isolate the security router on it (Network professionals, please chime in here if you have any other suggestions or if I am going down the wrong path). 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 113 of 183 (5,867 Views)

OK ... given the answer with respect to Xfinity Home equipment, It seems to me that Xfinity Home needs to supply it's own modem, and a cable splitter.  The entirety of Xfinitiy Home should be isolated from any and all of my Xfinity Internet connection.  It should create and manage it's own network connection completely isolated from the Xfinitiy Internet connection whose complete bi-directional operability, and addressability from the Internet "cloud" is paid for separately in my bill.  I don't pay to share that connectivity, especially with equipment that blocks my operability.

Consider this ... the Xfinity Home router, sitting instream between the Xfinitiy Internet modem, and my home's connections (which may or may not include a router, MASKS the WAN-facing network IP address from my home network (and my router).  If there is no provision for that Xfinitiy Home router to do NOTHING but intercept its needed ports and leave everything else to my home network (for my administration), then that device is UNWELCOME on the Internet connection I pay for because it destroys my ability to use that Internet connection as a bi-directional connection.

It uses the WAN-facing public IP address (one you can "ping" from anywhere in the Internet "cloud") and it provides on it's output side (to the home network) what is known as a private IP address (an IP address in one of the following ranges ... 10.0-255.0-255.0-255, 172.16-31.0-255.0-255, or 192.168.0-255.0-255). A private IP address iin any of these ranges is isolated to the local area network (LAN) behind the router that hosts that IP address.  It can never reach the network beyond that boundary which means the home network router can no longer be addressed in order to provide directed port access to devices on the home network.

IN ESSENCE, Xfinity Home IS VOIDING MY bi-directional Xfinitiy Internet CONNECTION TO THE Wide Area Network (WAN ... read Internet).

It seems to me that Xfinity Home's router needs to be on it's own Cable data modem and that that device needs to be provided with the Xfinity Home router and a cable splitter ... my Xfinity Internet connection (modem) belongs on one side of that splitter, Xfinity Home's connection (modem and router) belong on the other side of that splitter.

There was NEVER any representation made to me that Xfinity Home would have a deliterious effect on the facilities of the Xfinity Internet connection that I pay for.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 114 of 183 (5,864 Views)

No Sh__ !!!

For folks that ought to know networking inside and out, Xfinity seems brain-dead.

I put a rather detailed explaination out on this dialog in response to the XH engineer's note that appears several messages back in this dialog.  Simply put, XH needs to provide it's own modem and provisioning that exists on a cable split ... they have no right to ussurp Xfinity Internet's public IP address and put my home network on a private IP address (one not accessible or broadcast outwardly to the WAN) behind their router when I pay for the Xfinity Internet service separately and descretly from XH.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 115 of 183 (5,863 Views)

Tell Xfinity Home (XH) that you pay for Xfinity Internet (XI) and they don't ... if they were to install XH, and you didn't have XI, they'd have to provision a modem and network service for their use with XH ... they need to do that separately from your paid-for XI service and cease to negatively impact XI's performance with their XH gear.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 116 of 183 (5,862 Views)

I think it's really a second data modem (not a second router) where Xfinity Home's router uses its own (the second data) modem to access the Internet (Xfinity would have to provision that modem and NOT CHARGE YOU FOR THE MODEM OR INTERNET CONNECTION FOR IT AS THE NEED IS FOR XH TO FUNCTION WITHOUT DESTROYING THE FUNCTIONALITY OF Xfinity Internet).  This isolates the XH connection from your XI connection, and eliminates its interference with same. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 117 of 183 (5,783 Views)

So, after reading this, I'm getting ready to move the Xfinity supplied router behind mine, but had a couple questions first:

I don't have any camera, just the touchscreen and sensors / alarms. 

1) What ports do I need to open and / or forward on my router to the Xfinity router?  80?  443?  Other?  None? 

2) The Xfinity router will just start working in this setup?  I'd think it'd "expect" a similar IP subnet coming from my router that would have matched what was coming out of the cable modem, but maybe not.   

3) What do I need to reboot / change on the touchscreen after I move the Xfinity router behind mine?  Anything?

Thanks,
Chris

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 118 of 183 (5,753 Views)

Chris, no ports need be open for their router to work AFAIK.

It started working when I threw it behind my repeater. 

For assurance, I would still reboot the touchscreen, and perform a self test afterwards. 

Cheers.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 119 of 183 (5,736 Views)

I concur.  The only thing I did was turn everything off first then brought up the cable modem first, my Airport Extreme second, Gig-e switch 3rd, then the XH router last. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 120 of 183 (5,722 Views)

Thanks all, far as I can tell, everything is working great.  

Only thing I'd change is I wish I had done this months ago.

-Chris

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 121 of 183 (5,720 Views)

I had the same concern.  I insisted on having a secondary siren installed in our bedroon upstairs. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 122 of 183 (5,684 Views)

I had many of the same problems with speed and signal strength after installing the system.  The techs while where very professional, installed the Netgear router between the Comcast Cable Router and my Apple Wireless Extreme.  For months my speed was slow.  Bought a new $175 AC dual band router but still slow.  I removed the Netgear Security Router.  Bang, speed back up to 50+ Mbps throughout the house.  I called XFINITY Home tech support.  They agreed that with the Arris Comcast Router the the wireless gateway needed to be connected directly to the Comcast Cable router.  Then connect the security router to the wireless router to one of the free ethernet ports.

No problems so far.  I do not have cameras.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 123 of 183 (5,380 Views)

Hi would you kindly be able to help me out. I am going to go nuts with my internet lol! I have a SB6141 as well as the lovely Netgear (home security) router as well as a time capsule. I have to constantly reset my computer. I have several other wireless devices that are getting messed up as well. It's like it is trying to grab an ip and is held up. 

Thanks!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 124 of 183 (5,129 Views)

The resolution to this problem was mentioned on page 1. 

You have to request a second modem.  The only way you will be able to have your network set up the way you want it and be able to access it from outside is to get two modems.  It wouldn't really be secure if you could access your secure network from outside so easily.  In order for Comcast to monitor your system and always have access to report a problem they have to ensure the monitoring system is not tampered with.

Call Comcast and request another modem.  Tell them you have security cameras and other services that you need to be able to access from outside and because the Xfinity Home Security needs to be untampered with you need an extra modem to take advantage of your broadband service.  They are more aware of the situation and shouldn't give you a hard time (for too long).

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 125 of 183 (5,072 Views)

I have an appointment with XF/Comcast tomorrow and I sure hope they fix my problem.  I have followed this thread for 2 years and for a company to ignore the problem that long is a traversty!  Maybe a class action suit would get their attention!

Color me just tired of all the BS!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 126 of 183 (4,992 Views)

If you have any kind of issue with comcast, just call them or get help on line.  They have tech support that will help you with any and all issues you may have about phone internete and cable.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 127 of 183 (4,966 Views)

Would you mind detailing your setup, i.e from a wiring perspective.

Cable modem to your router? or cable modem to your switch?

Your router to switch and comcast router to switch (same VLAN) ?

thanks

Posted by
Edited on
‎03-12-2014 09:16 AM

Frequent Visitor

Message 128 of 183 (4,962 Views)

[ Edited ]

Problem solved...  THX for all the help!

Move the xfinity router to the end of the line . 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 129 of 183 (4,474 Views)

I agree with the class action lawsuit. I want this system out of my house. I'm paying for nothing. It doesn't work and when it did it made my network slow and drop continuously. I can't pay them over a thousand dollars to drop this thing. I was lied to and conned into this horribl horrile system. My friends don't have this problem with other security companies. 

I want my money back. I want this system out of my house. I just can't deal with talking to their customer server anymore. They are causing me stress and ulcers. I have made a hundred calls to Comcast in a year. That is uncalled for and should be against the law. I want to sue Comcast. 

Posted by
Visitor
Message 130 of 183 (4,425 Views)

Can someone please help me. I just switched over to FIOS (TV and Internet) BUT I still have Xfinity Home Security as I am in a contract for another year. Well, I am using the Netgear router along with what FIOS gave me.  When I am in my house, I can see my cameras just fine on my Iphone, on the touch pad, and via computer. However, once I leave my house, I am no longer able to see my cameras via the IPHONE app. The cameras just say "unable to connect."  Does anyone have an idea about why I can see the cameras at home but not when I am away from home? Thanks.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 131 of 183 (4,423 Views)

hmmm ,  seems like your app is connecting via wi-fi in  the house.  i would turn off the wi-fi on your phone and try and connect via your cell service.  good luck!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 132 of 183 (3,842 Views)

Reading this and am very concerned about my Xfinity Triple Play setup being compatible with X Home monitoring.  The issue is that this a vacation home and when I am away I suspend broadband service.  So without broadband connectivity, will X Home work?  Can XH be accessed by the alarm cellular capability?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 133 of 183 (3,821 Views)

The cameras are powered over Ethernet, but use an adapter piece to plug into a regular electrical outlet
Posted by
Visitor

Message 134 of 183 (3,819 Views)

You are going to need Internet service to support your security system. Xfinity Home does have a cellular backup, but it's only a backup. I don't think your able to use it as a main communication point.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 135 of 183 (3,753 Views)

I am somewhat technologically illiterate, so when the Comcast installer added Home Security to my existing Comcast setup (TV, computer, and phone) two years ago, I had no idea what he was installing. 

What I wound up with were two routers: a Wireless Gateway/modem SMCD3GNV hooked directly to my cable line (already installed) , and an additional  Netgear N150 WRN 1000 which connects to the SMC router with an ethernet WAN cord.  Both devices are located in my back-of-the-house man-cave.  

The Touch Pad Controller for the security system is located in my bedroom next to the man-cave.  All seem to work ok.

Since then I have added 2 iPhones and 2 iPads.  All continue to work ok, although I loose a little strength on my iPhone/iPads towards the front of the house. Incidently, my HDTV & DVR are directly connected to secondary cable in the front part of the house and are not reliant on WIFI. 

My question is: what purpose does the Netgear WIFI router serve?  Does this strictly serve the Home Security system?  Can it be seperated from the original gateway modem or do they have to be connected for the security system to work? Should it be connected to th Touch Screen controller? 

PS  Talk down to me.  Still somewhat techology illiterate. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 136 of 183 (3,736 Views)

Right. The Netgear router is strictly for home security. It has to be connected to the modem. (A gateway is a modem with a router built inside it). The New Netgear router communicates to the touchpad wirelessly. The touchpad is literally the brain of the system. Nothing should ever be connected to the touch screen
Posted by
Visitor

Message 137 of 183 (3,728 Views)

Thanks. That all makes sense now. Guess there's no way to move the Netgear router to the center of the house without moving the SMC gateway along with it
Posted by
Contributor

Message 138 of 183 (3,648 Views)

I just had the Home security System installed three days ago. I now have all their services bundled ( along withthe new X1 box) I have the Arris TC862 Gateway which required no additional router for the Home security( which was my initial concern)

As for the security system, so far so good it seems easy enough to use ( as in we havent  accidentally set if off lol)I havent set any rules yet, but from how it appears you have a fair amount of control over what the system can do.

Although I dont have their camera feature. I have the Netgear VueZone camera system which is superior-- it has motion detection feature which activates all motion all the time ,where as the comcast home will only activate as a "rule" if a door is opened/not opened.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 139 of 183 (3,640 Views)

You can also set rules based on motion if you have the motion detectors.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 140 of 183 (3,619 Views)

The router placed in between the Comcast modem and 'your' personal router have nothing to do with each other. This 'POS', is a simple NetGear router to assign IP addresses internally, which are then routed via the Comcast modem for external access and internal access.
It truly has no effect on you're personal network, no SSID, no log in, nothing. The only issue would be, and would only be if you are using an a older modem, which coincidently doesn't support DOC.3.0 and the increased 105 MBPS speed change. Is that it would use an Ethernet port on you're modem. Upgrade to the newest Comcast Modem, or put a simple 4 port switch between you're router and their modem....
Posted by
Visitor

Message 141 of 183 (3,365 Views)

Comcast store sells a wireless external alarm
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 142 of 183 (3,042 Views)

I have the Big Bundle: X1, XH, XI, and XTelephony

Xfinity Telephone/Internet Modem: Arris TG862 (disabled the WiFi; not bridging, four Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports active)

Xfinity Home Security Router: Netgear N150 (10/100)

Personal Home Router: Linksys WRT 1900AC (Using both WiFI bands, DHCP, and running gigabit ethernet out the back)

Problem: Xfinity Home Security install tech set up Netgear between Xfinity modem and my router resulting in speed drop off by 30-35 Mbps from prior tests (modem ports and Linksys router were hitting125-130Mbps.  Attempts to switch router positions to recover bandwidth/speed loss caused XH problems (security cams lost video feed, monitoring devices connect failed, arming security system failed). Returned to routers connection original sequence and all XH functions returned along with slower speeds. 

Solution from phone call with Xfinithy Wireless 2nd Level Tech:

1. Power off Arris, Netgear, Linksys.

2. Power on Arris and wait for solid status lights (again I had Xfinity disable WiFi on the Arris).

3. Connect Linksys internet port to Arris port #1 and power up.  

4. Confirm PC connection to local network and Internet;

4a. Speed test shows improvement at 126-130Mbps!

5. Connect Netgear internet port to Modem port #2 and power up.

6. Confirm Netgear router status lights are green, wifi is blue and flashing.

7. Confirm XH security and monitoring tools/functions are working and online.

7a. Touchpad Control: Settings->Advanced Settings->Connectivity->Test Connectivity->Successful broadband and cellular connection to security servers is indicated by green dot/checkmark. Cameras had live video feed. Motion sensors were controlable. Alarm arm and disarm functions worked correctly. Alerts were registering. Thermostat was controlable. 

7b. Remote control: Alarm arm and disarm functions worked correctly.

7c. PC on home network: Browser logged on to XH management portal successful. Confirmed all security functions, video camera feeds, and thermostat control worked correctly.

7d. Mobile App (wifi off, using carrier network): App logged on to XH management portal successful. Confirmed all security functions, video camera feeds, and thermostat control worked correctly.

Posted by
Edited on
‎12-10-2014 05:20 PM

Frequent Visitor

Message 143 of 183 (3,031 Views)

[ Edited ]

So if I am reading your post correctly, you are plugging your home router into port 1 and the XH router into port 2 of the Arris TG862?  The Xfinity Telephone/Internet Modem I have is the Ubee dvm3203b which has just a single ethernet port and a single RJ-11 phone port. 

While my current config of connecting the XH router to my Netgear home router (which in turn is connected to a Apple AirPort Extreme which connects to the Ubee modem) eliminated the degraded service issue I (and you) had, my irritating problem I get is the XH router occassionally assigns IP addresses (172.) to our mobile devices.  It sounds like the Arris modem would solve my issue, and I believe this multiport modem solution has been suggested in previous posts. 

I'm going to put the "Call Comcast and request Arris TG862 modem" on my reminders list!  Thanks for sharing!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 144 of 183 (2,953 Views)

I placed a call to Comcast earlier this week (the 800 #) and was told that I had to take my gateway router to my local Comcast office for swapout.  Arrived there this morning and was advised that due XH being part of the solution, a home visit by a Comcast technician is required!  Sigh!  Thankfully, I have an appointment for tomorrow (Saturday).  Here's hoping I get the equipment I need. 

I'll post a follow-up after the visit from the tech...

Patrick

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 145 of 183 (2,948 Views)

plm0315 wrote:

I placed a call to Comcast earlier this week (the 800 #) and was told that I had to take my gateway router to my local Comcast office for swapout.  Arrived there this morning and was advised that due XH being part of the solution, a home visit by a Comcast technician is required!  Sigh!  Thankfully, I have an appointment for tomorrow (Saturday).  Here's hoping I get the equipment I need. 

I'll post a follow-up after the visit from the tech...

Patrick

plm315,

If you would not mind... Ask the XH tech what he has to do settings wise with your new modem/router. I would guess configuring a specific port, protocol and destination but these are things the XI folks can managed/push down the wire... Good luck!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 146 of 183 (2,909 Views)

OK, Xfinity Tech came to the house Saturday afternoon and swapped out my Ubee gateway modem with a Cisco DPC3939 gateway modem.  It took about an hour to get fully provisioned, mots of that time due to an issue with the telephone service (the XV folks had to virtually rebuild the switch!).  Voice, security, and Internet all worked but not optimally, especially Internet.  So I spend the better part of Sunday reconfiguring my Internet service so that the Cisco modem and my Apple AirPort devices would play nice with each other. 

Here was the issues I was dealing with:

1)  Double NAT issue with the Cisco modem and the AirPort Extreme (solved by putting the AX in bridge mode)

2)  WiFi conflicts between Cisco and the two AirPort Express devices (solved by doing a hard reset on both AE devices AND disabing WiFi on the Cisco modem). 

So everything is working as expected, wired speed test right where I expect it, will run a wireless test later on.  The XH router is now plugged into port 2 of the Cisco modem and my network into port 1.

I was able to disable WiFi on the Cisco modem by logging into the modem (login instructioins printed on the bottom of the modem). I would have liked to have WiFi on and added more coverage in my house but early on this is where Cisco and AX did not play nice at all, so for the moment it is off. I did rename all of the SSID's so they match, so I amy try to turn it back on next week when I am off from work and see if I can get it to work. 

Not quite ready to put "Network Engineer" on my resume but I am close!  ;-)

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 147 of 183 (2,902 Views)

plm0315 wrote:

OK, Xfinity Tech came to the house Saturday afternoon and swapped out my Ubee gateway modem with a Cisco DPC3939 gateway modem.  It took about an hour to get fully provisioned, mots of that time due to an issue with the telephone service (the XV folks had to virtually rebuild the switch!).  Voice, security, and Internet all worked but not optimally, especially Internet.  So I spend the better part of Sunday reconfiguring my Internet service so that the Cisco modem and my Apple AirPort devices would play nice with each other. 

Here was the issues I was dealing with:

1)  Double NAT issue with the Cisco modem and the AirPort Extreme (solved by putting the AX in bridge mode)

2)  WiFi conflicts between Cisco and the two AirPort Express devices (solved by doing a hard reset on both AE devices AND disabing WiFi on the Cisco modem). 

So everything is working as expected, wired speed test right where I expect it, will run a wireless test later on.  The XH router is now plugged into port 2 of the Cisco modem and my network into port 1.

I was able to disable WiFi on the Cisco modem by logging into the modem (login instructioins printed on the bottom of the modem). I would have liked to have WiFi on and added more coverage in my house but early on this is where Cisco and AX did not play nice at all, so for the moment it is off. I did rename all of the SSID's so they match, so I amy try to turn it back on next week when I am off from work and see if I can get it to work. 

Not quite ready to put "Network Engineer" on my resume but I am close!  ;-)

Well done plm! Your Cisco DPC3939 is almost identical to the Arris TG862 is form, spec and looks! Can't wait to hear about your speed test (wired and wifi). The Arris wifi was disappointing in speed and distance coverage but I hope your Cisco is better.  I believe your AX should be the boss in terms of pure speed performance by the numbers.

Using Port 1 for your WiFi/LAN router and Port 2 for the XH security router seems to be a stable and fast network solution.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 148 of 183 (2,841 Views)

I had XHS installed back in April.  Since then, Blast got bumped to 105 in my area, and ipv6 was launched.  When the speed got bumped I did the reset on the modem, reset on the router, and reset on my computer.  I never got above 90 down hardwired.  When I tested for ipV6, it failed.  This has been driving me crazy.  I had my old 702 swapped out for a 722 (was really hoping for an 822 but the tech didn't have any on his truck).  I swapped my old linksys wireless N for a new AC router.  Still no go.

The netgear does cause issues.  It shaved off a good 20M or more on the down consistently.  It's also incapable of passing through ipV6.  In addition to what others are reporting regarding VPN, Apple Air, ports, etc, you will also have degraded speed and no ipV6 access.

This has been bugging me since XHS was installed.  So last night, I had an idea, I pulled the netgear router from my EMTA, and hooked my linksys AC router directly to the EMTA.  Ran a speed test and voila, 131 down.  Ran an ipV6 test and finally passed across the board.  I thought I had connected the Netgear back in to my linksys, but woke up this morning to no internet connectivity on the XHS pad. When I looked, I failed to connect the netgear to the network.  I'll fix that when I get home tonight.

So, it's currently not going to be an ideal setup, all my router ports are used right now, and I'm going to have to pull a device off and run it off of one of my switches.  I can live with that for now.  

I just scheduled an appointment to swap my 722 out for a cisco 3939.  Then I'll hook my router up to port one and the netgear router up to port 2.  Just need to disable the wifi and moca on the 3939.  I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 149 of 183 (2,830 Views)

bbarley1 wrote:

I had XHS installed back in April.  Since then, Blast got bumped to 105 in my area, and ipv6 was launched.  When the speed got bumped I did the reset on the modem, reset on the router, and reset on my computer.  I never got above 90 down hardwired.  When I tested for ipV6, it failed.  This has been driving me crazy.  I had my old 702 swapped out for a 722 (was really hoping for an 822 but the tech didn't have any on his truck).  I swapped my old linksys wireless N for a new AC router.  Still no go.

The netgear does cause issues.  It shaved off a good 20M or more on the down consistently.  It's also incapable of passing through ipV6.  In addition to what others are reporting regarding VPN, Apple Air, ports, etc, you will also have degraded speed and no ipV6 access.

This has been bugging me since XHS was installed.  So last night, I had an idea, I pulled the netgear router from my EMTA, and hooked my linksys AC router directly to the EMTA.  Ran a speed test and voila, 131 down.  Ran an ipV6 test and finally passed across the board.  I thought I had connected the Netgear back in to my linksys, but woke up this morning to no internet connectivity on the XHS pad. When I looked, I failed to connect the netgear to the network.  I'll fix that when I get home tonight.

So, it's currently not going to be an ideal setup, all my router ports are used right now, and I'm going to have to pull a device off and run it off of one of my switches.  I can live with that for now.  

I just scheduled an appointment to swap my 722 out for a cisco 3939.  Then I'll hook my router up to port one and the netgear router up to port 2.  Just need to disable the wifi and moca on the 3939.  I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Try: After you power up your XHS router, reboot your XHS TouchPad Controller (Settings->Advanced Settings->Reboot)

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 150 of 183 (2,806 Views)

Well, my foray in to this mess didn't work out so well.  I had to revert back to putting my router behind the XHS router.  I tried everything.  I assigned a static to the device.  I added port forwarding on port 80.  I had it connected directly to my router, I had it connected to two different switches.  Nothing, everytime I did a reboot on my touch screen, it kept comming back no internet connectivity.  But it did recognize broadband connection.  Weather ap failed to load, and the timmer settings I had setup on the website didn't work. 

Oh well, I have a 3939 comming next week.  I can live with the degraded service a bit longer.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 151 of 183 (3,024 Views)

My new router arrived from Amazon today.  I replaced my old linksys (which wasn't that old really) with this one, got the firmware downloaded, network set up, etc, and went upstairs to reset my panel, and it still had internet connectivity even after moving my router to before the XHS router.  I did a reboot just to be safe.

When it came back up, had no issue whatever with it recognizing the internet.  The weather ap works great, I was able to set and disarm remotely.  Not sure why the XHS router wont work behind a Linksys AC router that's not even a year old but does on the Netgear NightHawk router that came out around the same time, but I'm happy for now.

Going to still have the 3939 installed though, it will allow me to pull off a computer from the rest of the main network, so that's a good thing atleast.