New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity Home Security and routing questions

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 52 of 183

I'm currently investigating XH for my new home.  Reading these posts, if your home router supports a DMZ, you should be able to put the XH security router in the DMZ and everything should work just as if it were directly connected to the Internet.  Has anyone tried that?

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 53 of 183

Sir. I was unable to view from an external network as well untill I used the free services of Axis to enable NAT.

Once NAT was enabled, away went the issues. I have Axis Communications Ip cam. Unsure of your brand.

I hope this can lead you to help or to ask more questions.

Does anyone know where/who provides the services for the home security and HVAC setup?

I would like to work for them for a couple of years and become my Areas leader in IP cam and HVAC/Lighting control setups for xfinity...

Scranton PA

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 54 of 183

Hi. What's stopping you from using an audio output into your home theater or maybe just some amplified speaker unit to increase your tone alarm?

Just a thought for a quick solve. If you are happy with the setup otherwise...

C

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 55 of 183

I can confirm this is true they set up the home security router in front of my personal router which I have a slingbox hooked up to I had to go into the advanced settings and it has the option under connectivity to allow personal router to be exposed to internet it finds your mac and you hit ok and it allows it through took all of 5 minutes to do and everything is working as it should with my slingbox. Definitely not for the basic user but I am a technician so I was able to figure it out,

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 56 of 183

The audio output on the device seems to have been disabled and within reason if the external audio device loses power then you would not hear your notifications and in the event of an emergency that could be a problem

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 57 of 183

As a side note I am using a linksys/Cisco E3000 router running a custom tomato firmware. Essentially if the MAC address is not found when you try the connectivity settings on the home security controller allowing your router to be exposed to the internet then something in your personal router settings will need to be changed.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 58 of 183

Just add a remote siren.  You can check it out at xfinity.com/home

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 59 of 183

Anyones help would be appreciated on placing private router in Comcast's  DMZ..

For two months now, I've had Comcast's standard configuration working (Internet-Netgear-Private-routers.)  Private cameras were exposed to to internet after configuration setting on panel (Advanced-Comm-Expose Private Router).

Now they've had to replace the panel and it can't find my private router to put into DMZ.

Any ideas?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 60 of 183
Make sure you boot everything in the order you listed then attempt to locate it on the panel advanced settings. If that doesn't work go into your personal router and make sure the dmz is enabled and port forwarding is as well.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 61 of 183

I had the Home Security installed on Saturday. They put a Netgear 150 N WNR1000v2 router on my Arris TM722G Telephony modem which I had hooked up to a D-Link 300N Dir-645 Whole Home router.They connected the Netgear to the modem and then hooked up my router to the #1 port on the Netgear (making my router an access point).

I tested my speed with Speedtest.net before they came out. I was getting 24.69Mbps download and 6.77Mbps upload. I tested it this afternoon, pinging the same server and my speed was 9.49Mbps download and 9.29 upload. It has totally bottle necked my speed and I'm payin for Boost!

The technician left me his number to call if I had problems. I have called repeatedly but Richard Devine evidently doesn't answer his phone.

I have one day to get this POS out of my house before I am locked in for 3 years and NOBODY will help. The rest of the Home Security setup is good, but using these 'end of life' routers is beyond stupid. I have an extra D-Link dir-655 and offered it to them to put in place of the 150N and they said it was what they were forced to use by Comcast. (The installers are contracted).

If any Comcast personnel monitor these forums, please help. I'm going to end up paying 3 years on something that I am going to disconnect. I have my own 8 security cameras that I monitor, and now I can't monitor them except inside my own home. None of my apps, nor logging into my network are available. This is FUBAR.

P.S. I too am a techie and I also put my router into their router's DMZ - no effect on speed.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 62 of 183

The router that we use really serves just as a pass through. I have never seen any speed issues because of it. I have it at home and consistently get 50 and above with Blast.

Only suggestion I can give you without being there and troubleshooting myself is to reboot all 3 devices in order. Modem-security router-personal router. Also test speeds hardwired if you aren't already.

We aren't all contracted, I am an in house guy. "Forced" to use those routers is a weird way to put it- that's just how it was designed.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 63 of 183
I can confirm my speeds are 50 down and 10 up and I have the netgear router in front of my Cisco router. Sounds like you may have got a bad one which can happen. They are forced to use the encrypted router too ensure the security of your in home cameras so that they can not be accessed by unauthorized users.t
Posted by
Visitor

Message 64 of 183

Being a new Comcast secuirty user also, my speeds are not afftected, advise to powercycle should be done to verify...

Now to my dilema with port fowarding - I used to be able to use my APP Plex but since the home security router has been placed in front of my router i cannot use this APP on my iphone outside of my network anymore.

I have 1 camera on my new security setup - What is the official Comcast work around for this issue?

Thanks in advance 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 65 of 183
Read my previous posts for instructions the one referring to my slingbox
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 66 of 183

Hi, i seem to have the same issue as everyone.  comcast installed home security gave me their ip of 10.0.0.1 and hooked up my router to their router.  no matter what i change on my router i can not longer do port forwarding.  of course i cannot get into their router to fix.  If i have my router first like old times the port forwading works but now the comcast ip changes every hour or so.  this is a hassle since my son and his friends are using our server for a game and then i have to reset and they have to login again.  any ideas on how to fix this!  tried calling them and sorry  their techs are idiots and even was goign to try their paid service but the lady hung up on me said she could not hear me.  argh!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 67 of 183

My concer is with having the best connection speed and I really think their Netgear 150N router is slowing my connection.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 68 of 183
I just got my system installed and I have a lot of networking questions myself. I used to work in this industry but this system is new to me. I am a networking professional by trade and know a little from what I've figured out but lots of questions!

I can tell you the first device ( or maybe you already had the broadband). Is a cable modem. This brings the network in. Then I believe they put a wireless router in line and I'm guessing this is only used for all the modules wireless connectivity. Then out of a empty cat 5 port ( not the wan) they went to another wireless router which I believe is what I'm using for my home devices connectivity ( iPads, phones and computers). I haven't dug into in fear of messing something up with the security system because I'm leaving the country for a bit and would not be available to come fix what I probably would break and I'm not sure how much "access" they have to do remotely. (Another concern).
I'm now having issues with the video streaming to the touch screen unit. It's deffinetly a bandwidth/encoding issue only to this device. My web portal and iDevices are working fine but on the pad I get lower half of screen grey and pixelation. After a while it seems to buffer out but it takes a long while. I've lowered quality to low and it does the same. It worked fine the whole install day and yesterday but today not good and no settings changed.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 69 of 183
I just got my system installed and I have a lot of networking questions myself. I used to work in this industry but this system is new to me. I am a networking professional by trade and know a little from what I've figured out but lots of questions!

I can tell you the first device ( or maybe you already had the broadband). Is a cable modem. This brings the network in. Then I believe they put a wireless router in line and I'm guessing this is only used for all the modules wireless connectivity. Then out of a empty cat 5 port ( not the wan) they went to another wireless router which I believe is what I'm using for my home devices connectivity ( iPads, phones and computers). I haven't dug into in fear of messing something up with the security system because I'm leaving the country for a bit and would not be available to come fix what I probably would break and I'm not sure how much "access" they have to do remotely. (Another concern).
I'm now having issues with the video streaming to the touch screen unit. It's deffinetly a bandwidth/encoding issue only to this device. My web portal and iDevices are working fine but on the pad I get lower half of screen grey and pixelation. After a while it seems to buffer out but it takes a long while. I've lowered quality to low and it does the same. It worked fine the whole install day and yesterday but today not good and no settings changed.

Under advanced settings there is an option to open your router to the Internet. When I go thru some choices it does a network scan and finds the device. My system scanned and it found a MAC address that is none of these 3 devices and this is concerning me and want to know what it is. It's nothing of mine and not any of the 3 network devices installed or my touch screen. So I can only assume its picking up one do the ip cams or thermostat device but I don't think that is ip ( guessing again)

Any info would be great. Trying to figure out a number I can call to inquire before I leave.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 70 of 183
I get Xfinity home security install a few days ago, having the same issues viewing my camera outside my network, there is a feature on the touchpad allows you to exposed your personal wireless router to the Internet and that work for me
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 71 of 183

There are additional sounders you can install if you need them.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 72 of 183

Make sure they put it back onto the proper LAN port, which I believe is 4.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 73 of 183
I WOULD totally agree with your prognosis. I am calling today to ask for redundant modems because I have experienced all the exact same symptoms described in this blog. They simply need to put in two modems where a customer has a wireless router, because the DNS process is completely messed up by the intermediate "gizmo" they install with the security systems... and it is NOT a passive bridge; the reason that we know it is not passive is due to the fact that they insist that it be in direct communication with your one and only modem; logically this means that the device is engineered to preempt packets from non-security wireless over packets from security related wireless devices. This is know in the industry as "shaping" the network... which is probably what the lawyers told them to do (over a golf game at Pebble Beach!!!!) to CYA legal vulnerabilities should a network fail.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 74 of 183

ComcastTuska wrote:

I have some contacts with the Home Security team, if you still have a problem PM me.

I have this same problem, please can you help me?  My wifi has slowed to a crawl with frequent outages.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 75 of 183

Daye wrote:

The installation of their router is not necessary. 

You simply need to open port 80 on your existing router to ensure they can communicate with the alarm brain. Since most folks ( including the install techs ) do not know what the my first sentence means, they simply install their own hardware that is preconfigured for it. 

At least this is how mine is configured. 

When it was first installed, they couldn't connect to the brain.  I fired up NMAP and ran a scan and noted that port 80 was wide open.  Figuring that was the port they wanted to use, I simply opened up the port on the router and voila.  Done.

Outside of celluar connection issues, no other problems with the setup since.

Any chance you could post details on how to do this for a tech dummy?  Many thanks.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 76 of 183

I was just installed yesterday and have had no speed issues. 50/11 to my laptop over my wifi router which is "behind" the Netgear security router.

One idea, I would make sure the security router and your personal router are not laid on top of each other, as the two wifi's might interfere with each other. Even a foot of distance between them might help.  

Posted by
Visitor

Message 77 of 183

The router that XFINITY installs is a second rate piece of $#@!.  Ever since I have put it in between my router an ASUS dual band and the internet router, I get disconnections, lag issues frequently.  At this point I have to determine if my monitors are more important or my hobby (gaming).  I am very disappointed in the service!  I wish I would have built my own.  I would not suggest this service to anyone that actually uses their internet for things other than monitoring the place they put the security equipment.

I didn't read the fine print (early term fees only a very wealther person can pay) when I signed up, so I am stuck with this garbage for a couple more years.  

Posted by
Visitor

Message 78 of 183

All you people not having issues are probably because your not on as frequently as others.  I am on my computer non-stop in the afternoons and weekends.  It is not a constant issue, it is intermittent, but when it happens it is very annoying to people like me that use the internet constantly.  Don't discredit other peoples complaints because you don't seem to have an issue, it's obvious others do and it is very legitamate.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 79 of 183

Not sure if anyone still follows this post. 

But I just got XH service today. 
I was concerned when the tech installer said he had to install a router in front of my own router. 

I asked him the reasoning for this was. 
He told me that it was to prioritize the calls that the security system makes. 
(Much like how other security systems tap into the phone line, ahead of your phone outlet, so that if your security system goes off, it will cut off your calls and dial to emergency services) 

I didn't really want to squabble with the tech installer, since he seemed like a nice guy. 
But I really think that this way of setup is really "Stone age" I would put. 
We're on broadband, their calls don't take "priority"; they don't cut off our internet service in order to call out for emergencies. 
The bandwidth is shared, even when they are calling out. 

I did some research into their Netgear router and it seems it either runs a hidden SSID or N band SSID that consists of letters and numbers. It then communicates with the touchpad directly with comcast services and updates everything via your xfinity online panel. 

One thing is good, that it does eliminate hardware troubleshooting for the company for majority of the people, but what it doesn't take into consideration is that we do use our networks for more than 1 task. 

Putting their crappy preset router ahead of ours eliminates what a small percentage of us (Namely people who do networking) use our routers for, and for some, it bottle necks our network. And I guess we are the ones that complain. 

For those of you who use the video monitoring system, I cannot speak for. 

But I decided to throw the security system to the back of the bus. (How many times are they going to actually call in?)
I put it on the last point of entry on my network; the repeater. 

Runs perfectly, did a communications check. Broadband and cellular service are both working as it should. My Xfinity home panel updating as it should. 

I hope this helps some of you, because my logic here, is that my gaming, video downloading, and surfing should technically not "clog" up my system. As long as they're connected somehow, they'll be able to dail out. And yes, some of you are concerned that if your router goes down, so does the broadband for the security system. And hence why they have a cellular backup.

Running

Linksys E3000 Flashed to TomatoUSB (Shibby)
Linksys WRT54GS Flashed DD-WRT Repeater

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 80 of 183

This issue has been fixed, at least in California.  The XH router can now be set behind a personal router and work.

I was having camera issues, tech came out and put the XH router behind my Linxsys router. He explained Comcast has installed a new server for XH on the backend that allows this configuration without any hassel.  Whole thing was fixed in 5 minutes of him arriving. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 81 of 183

Following up.  I am still not a fan of the el-cheapo netgear router.  However, a tech came out and worked on my set up.  It appears to be working much better now.  He told me that your personal router can only be put in front if you have one of their new modems.  The signal strength on the router is weak too, I am having issues with one of my cameras that is about 30ft from the camera... they are coming out Saturday to take a look, they said to install a repeater or move the modem.  I prefer a repeater.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 82 of 183

@Hypodad
That's some bull**** and they know it. 
I'm running my own modem and it works fine. 

Even had a tech nearby run a connection test on my system and it says everything is being monitored as it should be. 

Find yourself a cheap repeater, or a flash an old router thats capable of taking 3rd party firmware, and create a repeater. 
Plug in their Netgear router where you see fit for optimal operation. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 83 of 183

@MDOBILAS

I have been struggling with the same crappy XH security router too. Can you give some more details as to what the tech did and how is your setup now? ...ie, internet>personal router (WAN/LAN ports)>XH security router (WAN/LAN ports).

Thanks in advance!

-s

Posted by
Visitor

Message 84 of 183

tried to delete but couldnt so just edited. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 85 of 183
The reason the xh router goes first is because Comcast does not troubleshoot, or know any settings you have on your own router. If you put the xh router behind your personal router and you have no port forwarding on your personal to coincide with the xh router, then your cameras won't work, and a spotty connection with the app and portal. If need be a separate modem can be installed free of charge to avoid this whole issue.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 86 of 183

Hmmm, well i can tell you that as soon as my 2 years are up, i will get rid of the comcast security.  First off having their router first blocks all of our port forwarding.  And I have noticed since having their router installed that our bandwidth is funky.  I can no longer stream movies to my tv without massive buffering.  Anyone who uses their compuer for more that basic internet and email, i would not suggest getting comcast.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 87 of 183

That is a bummer that you're experiencing bufferring. Fortunately, mine's been fine. I still get about 50 Mbps download over my N-wifi. We stream Netflix from two laptops, a Tivo and our TV and that's all still working fine. The settings on the Netgear are automated as far as I know so maybe a bad port or ethernet cable?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 88 of 183

As soon as i unplug their router anduse mine, it is fine, sooo...

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 89 of 183
So it could be a bad port. I suppose there could be a difference between the configurations too, but I think the net gear configuration is pretty plain - pass through.
I'd call them up and ask them to swap it out, but not before I ran a few tests, because it would stink if they brought out a new one and you had the same problem with the new one. Try hooking a computer directly up to the net gear and seeing what settings it gets and what kinds of settings and speeds it gets, when going over just a LAN cable.
And some people think I'm advocating voodoo when I mention this, but wifi Devices can interfere with each other- see if separating the Netgear and your router by several feet helps. I hope one of those things helps.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 90 of 183

Well i have tried to do that and they ALWAYS want to transfer me to their "Pay for Service" division.  So  i have given up.  I have less that 1 1/2 yrs left, i can wait it out!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 91 of 183
Umm like I said, an additional modem for just security services can be done, and no extra charge. So then your personal modem and router will remain the same and shouldn't experience any problems..
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 92 of 183

well if you are talking to me, you have not read all of my posts about these various issues Smiley Happy.  i already have 2 modems

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 93 of 183

@tongangirl 
Just drop their router behind your current router. 
All your problems should go away.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 94 of 183

Just had the XFINITY Home system installed. I was lucky to have a very knowledgeable engineer to perform the installation.

1. He checked cable levels and replaced ALL cabling outside the house and called another engineer to tune the transmitter in the street.

2. He added an amplifier and a 5-way splitter in the basement, just after the entry in the house.

3. After installing the Security Wifi in my office upstairs, we found out that the Netgear equipment could not communicate with the Touch Screen Controller downstairs. (There is a reason why I have an Apple Airport Extreme, which allows me to connect by Wifi in the whole house and even in the yard!)

As an alternative, the engineer installed a 2-way splitter in the family room. One goes to the X1R Cable Box and TV, the other to the XFINITY Cable Modem, with a connection to the Netgear Wifi, with its encryption security. The XFINITY Cable Modem also supports the phone system.

4. Upstairs, there is another 2-way splitter, with one path to the X1 and TV, and the other to a cable modem (UBEE). I attached my Vonage and Airport to the modem, without problems.

So far, I am keeping my fingers crossed, but everything is OK. The beauty of this setup is that we keep the Comcast stuff completely separate from my internet. I am with all of you, don't mess with my router. 

Here is the layout:

Cable from the street ---- Amplifier --- 5-way splitter (two used)

Cable 1 ---- 2-way splitter   --- X1R --- TV

--- XFINITY Cable Modem --- NetGear Wifi router .... Security Wifi

--- Phone system

Cable 2 ---- 2-way splitter --- X1 --- TV

--- UBEE Cable Modem --- Vonage --- Airport

Posted by
Visitor

Message 95 of 183

I have had pathetic service with this system. Have to use the comcast provided modem which craps out and have had replaced with no effect. Service essentially has rendered my internet not usable from time to time. Had great internet previously with my store purchased motorolla modem.

Everytime I call for support they want to transfer you to their BS support hotline in India for paid support. I'll probably just bite the bullet and cancel the whole dame thing. Only time I ever got a reponse out of anyone was when I began cancelation process.

I would say go elsewhere and avoid like the plauge.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 96 of 183

I hear ya, I can't wait until my contract is up so i can dump them!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 97 of 183

My home is protected with Comcast Home Security.  On Tuesday afternoon on August 20th at 6:11pm

SirAaron wrote:

Does anybody here have any experience with Comcast Home Security's setup?

I have a home security system that I've never armed or had monitored.  I was thinking of signing up for service and the Comcast Xfinity Home Security system with it's touchscreen keypad looked pretty good.  So I call Xfinity Home and have to wait on hold for several minutes (and this is to sign up).  Then they tell me they don't do consults but they can setup an installation appointment.  So I do that and they give me a five hour appointment window 12-5PM.  Not only that but you have to answer the phone two hours ahead of time or they simply cancel your appointment.  How awesome is that?  I love taking an entire day off work.  So a guy shows up 2 minutes before 5PM and had nothing with him.  Nothing.  No equipment to install, no manuals to show me, nothing.

Ok, I realize that rant is beside the point.  So talking to him he tells me that they install some unnamed piece of equipment between my modem (which may have to be replaced since he informs me it is end of life) and my router.  He further says that he doesn't like working with Apple routers since they have to be set in bridge mode to be able to work with said unnamed piece of equipment.

So I start having alarms go off.  First, nobody but me touches my router settings.  Second, what is this piece of equipment?  I think it must be some other router.  Do they put that router in bridge mode?  Doesn't sound like it which means mine would be the bridge.  But why do they need a second router?  Why can't I add the equipment to my network and simply open ports or a DMZ to equipment?

Does anybody have any experience with Xfinity Home Security's setup?  I'd like to figure it out so I can see if it will work for me (after all, it seems an actual Xfinity person with knowledge of their products seems to nonexistent).  Right now, I'm thinking I'll have to scrap Xfinity.  It's a shame because their products look ok and the installation is a good price.

I have the Xfinitycomcast Home Security system and on Tues early evening at 6:11pm on August 20th 2013, My home was broken into The one intruder entered through the window and continued to my back door to open for the other 3 accomplices to enter the home and burglarlize and steel.
4 teenager Juveniles  entered through the window with the comcast home securtity protection sticker in the window.   Talk about brass balls. 
The alarm sounded but did not stop them. From 6:11pm to 6:17 pm is when the call was placed to the police department. The alarms  poor sounding decibels that sound cannot not be heard on the outside.  What am I paying monthly for when they  got in and stole my laptops and when through my rooms. The neighbors never heard the alarm.  Hmmm.  My neighbors who have ADT have a loud sounding alarm the neighborhood neighbors can hear.  Comcast can not be heard outside the home.  I do not feel safe with their system.  
The Alarm was set for away statis when I left at 1:15 pm and armed the system in away. 
The living room sensor activated, also the untility room and then the back door sensor.  This should of been enough to notify the police immediately. not wait to text and call me and my father who is 2nd on the list.  
My recommendation to you is talk to the response team of the montioring  station and find out the length of time when the alarm is activated for them to notifiy the authorities. Also,  find out  how loud the alarm sounds if there is a breach of security. Comcast wants alot of money for a system that looks and sounds good but cannot not be heard outside. 
I hope this helps.  Good luck on choosing your security system

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 98 of 183
I would check and see if your alarm delay is set to the lowest you want. Most have 1 minute until the alarm goes off. Then it takes just under a minute to call the first person on the list, if no answer then they call the second 30 seconds of ringing per call if no one answers. That's almost 4 minutes there. Counting extra time if someone does answer and give the central station a bunch of "ooh" and "hmmm's".. There is no outside siren as of yet for xfinity home.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 99 of 183

So is placing the home security router behind my personal router now supported or not?  I'm in central jersey, have a little less than a year left on my contract, and will absolutely not be renewing if this isn't resolved.

I was told it would be supported "soon" when i signed up for the thing.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 100 of 183
Yes a separate /dedicated router is used for home security
Posted by
Visitor

Message 101 of 183

You are not understanding.  I own my networking router.  I understand that they provide a seporate dedicated router.

I do not want thier suporate dedicate router to sit between my modem, and my network router. 

They were supposed to resolve whatever issues made this impossible.

Have they?