Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Xfinity Home Hub will not re-activate after hard reset

New Poster

Xfinity Home Hub will not re-activate after hard reset

Hi,

First a brief background. My Xfinity thermostat was synced to the wrong time since sometime this summer. I only noticed it recently when it started getting cold enough to use the heating system. Several reboots of both the gateway and the HOME hub did not resolve the time issue. So, I reset the home hub.

After resetting (reset pinhole on rear of device) my Xfinity HOME Netgear router, I am unable to re-activate it. The subscriber portal just says it cannot connect to the hub, and any attempt to use https://xfinityhome.com/xhactivate to re-activate it only redirects me to the old portal that also says the hub is offline. To resvole this, I tried using the chat service twice, and spoke to 4 individuals on the phone (tech support) and not one of them could help beyond the public tools already available to me that I had already tried multiple times. I asked several times if they could remove the hub from my account so I could re-activate it. What I got in return was an audio version of the deer in the headlights scenario.

Their solution: Send out a tech. That will be this coming Wed.

In the meantime, does anyone here know if this can be easily resolved by removing the hub from my account so I can get https://xfinityhome.com/xhactivate to actually go through the activation process?

Thanks!

New Poster

Re: Home connection

I have this same issue and after hours attempting to convince numerous Comcast tech support (at this number) agents to reset my account, they all threw their hands up and said I needed a tech to come to my house to deal with this. Sigh...

Service Expert

Re: Home connection

ccastleb wrote:

I have this same issue and after hours attempting to convince numerous Comcast tech support (at this number) agents to reset my account, they all threw their hands up and said I needed a tech to come to my house to deal with this. Sigh...

Did you talk to this number?

1-877--298-0874

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert

Re: Xfinity Home Hub will not re-activate after hard reset

My only suggestion is to call Home Support; they have been great for me.

1-877-298-0874

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Hi, ccastleb - There is no need to remove your hub from the account and add it back. When you reset the Netgear router by pin - you actually did a factory reset and now the thermostat cannot connect to the WiFi. This is something you need to wait for a field technician to fix. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

...and the hub will not connect to the Home portal to be able to add the thermostat back. 

I used this guide 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/home-control/hub-help/

and specifically this note:

"Note: Resetting your Hub will un-pair all devices that you have paired with your system. This shouldn't be an issue because you haven't activated your Hub or paired any devices with your system yet. However, if you reset your Hub in the future, you'll need to reactivate it, then re-pair all of your devices."

The last sentence is where I am stuck since I had the hub active for many months before the time sync issue started happening.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will call the home # posted previously to see if I can get this resolved before the tech has to drive to my home and go through this process. Failing that, hopefully the tech will be able to assist.

Official Employee

@ccastleb - You performed a correct troubleshooting step, it just seems like you held it for a little longer than 5 seconds and instead of just regular reset - it did a factory reset. Have you tried to call the XFINITY Home Support? 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

I spoke with Home support, had 2 techs show up, and no one was familiar with the Netgear Hub. They all kept referring to it as my Touch Screen (i.e. Home Security, which I have never had). The 2nd tech that showed up (first guy gave up and sent for backup) was very patient even though he was not accustomed to working on the Home Automation system. he basically made a bunch of fast-track calls into support and eventually we both agreed to have Comcast just send out a new Netgear Hub. What showed up several days later was a wireless gatway, which I already have for Internet acess. Sigh...

So...I finally called Xfinity Home support one last time and was connected with a fellow that was surprised at me having only the Home Automation system. He understood that ONLY the full security + automation system was the current product, and admitted that I would need to upgrade (i.e. more $$$) to resolve this. I only added Home Automation about a year ago, so I must have come in just before Comcast stopped selling it standalone. Anyway, we came to the conclusion together that this was why I was always redirected from the older Home Automation activation pages to a "current customer" page. Basically, the old activation pages no longer exist. He tried a few things to remotely revive the hub but after about 15 minutes we both gave up.

The next step was to call into general customer service, remove Home Automation support (i.e. stop paying for it) and re-package my entire bundle for a new contract period. I sent the equipment back to Comcast and ordered a Nest thermostat. Done.

Official Employee

Hello ccastleb, I apologize for the inconvenience you had. If you need any further help going forward please reach out to us, we are always here to assist.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation