discussions

Touchscreen volume

SOLVED
Highlighted
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 3 of 54

Yesterday an update had to go through on my home alarm system because there was a screen saying I could learn about new features.  Today, the volume of the chime sound when opening/closing doors and arming/disarming the system were unbearably loud so I tried to reset the volume back to where it was before but it will not get any lower.  I do not want or need these sounds to be so loud, only if the alarm is armed and someone tries to open door should sound be louder than normal.  How do I fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 37 of 54
Solution

lkpolovchik wrote:

Same problem here. I've posted here at least once and called once as well but received no call back and no tech scheduled. Just frustrating to think someone could break in at night while we are sleeping and not hear the alarm. I've invested a lot in cameras and extra window/door sensors. I have less than a year in my contract left and beginning to think I need to look elsewhere. I also have the best triple play package and pay a large amount each month. No help whatsoever. 

You didn't say you tried this:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/home-security/change-sound-settings-for-touchscreen/

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

53 REPLIES
Posted by
New Poster

Message 1 of 54

Got the latest firmware update yesterday and noticed that my alerts when the doors open is much louder. Went into my touchscreen and it was set at 5. I can only turn it down to 4. Is there a way to go lower, as it is very loud.

Mike

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 2 of 54
Mine did the same thing yesterday. I at least have 5 settings but even on 1 it is very loud. I silenced all window sensors except my doors until they fix the issue. I'm sure it was the update. I will report to Xfinity.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 4 of 54

Only fix I've found is to "silence" the alarm zones that we use frequently to minimize the excessive volume when we're just opening and closing a door to take trash outside, etc. Hopefully they fix this soon. The volume level is easily double what it used to be.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 5 of 54
Posted by
New Poster

Message 6 of 54

The security hub is excessively loud for the past day. The volume setting won't go below 4. 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 7 of 54

Ronash49, are you referring to the volume of the touchscreen controller whenever the sensor status changes?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 8 of 54
I'm having this same issue. It's the alarm itself. The beep when the door opens, the beeping when it goes off etc...got VERY loud in the last week. How do we fix it?
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 9 of 54

Hello everyone, we apologize for the inconvenience this causing.  This is a known issue and we're working on the resolution. Thank you for your patience and we will keep you updated. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 10 of 54
We're having the same problem- had the update screen one morning- now all the sounds are unbearably loud. We can't adjust "Trouble volume" below "4".
Posted by
New Poster

Message 11 of 54

ComcastShane wrote:

Hello everyone, we apologize for the inconvenience this causing.  This is a known issue and we're working on the resolution. Thank you for your patience and we will keep you updated. 

I received a 2nd update this evening (2 nights ago was the update that made it crazy loud). This seems like a joke because now the volume is ridiculously low. You can't hear anything unless you're in the same room...so it went from so loud it bothered me two rooms away to so low it's worthless unless I'm in the same room.

I'm referring to the sounds it makes when arming/disarming and the door chime when doors are opened/closed. I have not tested the siren.

I have tried changing all the volume settings but they barely do anything. I even tried rebooting the whole thing.

Just bad and amazing that this gets updated without any proper testing...it's an alarm system that's supposed to protect my house and my family and if the warning sounds don't work it's a big problem for me.

Please let us know if this new issue is being worked on and we can expect another update soon.

Thanks,

Jeff

Posted by
New Poster

Message 12 of 54

After same loud volume issue, I now have NO volume for sensors, touchscreen, arming and disarming...pls advise when resolved.  Thanks.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 13 of 54

Oreo6 wrote:

After same loud volume issue, I now have NO volume for sensors, touchscreen, arming and disarming...pls advise when resolved.  Thanks.

I have the same problem. I called technical support and was taken thru some troubleshooting steps which didn't work. I was then told that a tech cannot come to my home for this. It is a known software issue that is being worked on. I was told to look for another update soon to fix the fix. I have to say my original sound could have been slightly louder but the first update made it deafening, now I feel as if I am deaf due to the tone being barely audible. Software techs, if you are reading, please add more choices for display settings. Currently, I use the weather in the center of my touchscreen. I prefer the dashboard screen with the devices on the right and the ready symbol on the left to the home screen. 

Posted by
N/A
Message 14 of 54
We have exact same problems. Please fix this Comcast.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 15 of 54
Same issues since update last night. Touch screen does not make a sound when opening doors, and my wife set off the alarm today because the constant chime telling you to disarm did not work, and even when the alarm went off, the system made no sound. The volumes are all at max. The only sound the touch screen makes is when you change the volume using the switch on the side, it makes a little chirp.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 16 of 54

I was able to fix my too loud volume with the the volume button on the side of the touch screen. Today the volume is way too low! The side button says Ringer Volume when I use it. That didn't happen yesterday. The sound is on 7 which is the highest It will go and the chimes are very quiet! I need them a little louder.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 17 of 54

I am having the same problem.  A few days ago the sound got so loud it was unbearable.  I followed the instructions on how to turn the volume down in the advanced settings and now starting today, it makes NO sound at all when the doors open and close.  

This is annoying!  I just went through the same steps to try to increase the volume to no avail.  Help!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 18 of 54

As of today, September 2, 2017, I am experiencing the same exact problem and opinion as customer Jeff.... with the volume now being too LOW and changing the settings only avail from #4 to #7, none of which provide a discernable difference!  I can't hear the sensor sounds when I'm outside of the room with the touchscreen!!!  Judy R.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 19 of 54

I'm assuming we'll all be credited for this distruption in service....

Posted by
New Poster

Message 20 of 54

I experienced the same problem with our touchscreen controller when the software upgrade went through at the end of August.  Then on 9/1 there were no audible sounds - either when opening/closing doors or windows or when arming the system.  The system shows it is functioning normally (e.g., armed, disarmed, windows open or closed, etc.).  The sound control for the sensors is set as it was before - play chime 2 when opened and closed and the volume controls are set at 5.  I can find nothing in the manuals or on this forum to help me self diagnose the problem.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 21 of 54

The volume is TOO LOW now!!!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 22 of 54
Same issue. Wayyyyy too loud a few days ago after update. Turned it down. Now I can't hear it at all. Wayyyy too quiet. We better get a credit for this ridiculous interruption in service. Is my house even protected now?
Posted by
New Poster

Message 23 of 54
My alarm system went from entirely too loud to no sound at all. Is there a reset button to go back to what I initially had?
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 24 of 54

https://www.xfinity.com/support/home-security/change-sound-settings-for-touchscreen/

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 25 of 54

Thank you for the link, but we all have tried that.  My sound is set at the absolute maximum and you can still only hear it if you are standing right next to it.  Like the others have said, first it blew you out of the room it was so loud and now it is barely audible.  

Posted by
New Poster

Message 26 of 54

I'm having the same problem - way too loud, and now I can't hear it at all. I'm getting pretty angry. I'm sure we WON'T be credited for this. And what is the point of paying for this system with 4 door sensors if someone can just sneak in and up on me and I would have no idea? I'm just waiting for someone to set it off accidentally at a time when we can't answer our phones, whoever's in the house can't hear it, and they dispatch the police, and the person in our house (legally) either gets arrested or we have to pay the "false alarm" fee. I realize that's a improbability, but it's not an impossibility! Rant over. Fix this already.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 27 of 54
Posted by
New Poster

Message 28 of 54

Recontacted online support, still no resolution after promised 24-48 hrs., now 72 hrs+ . Irritated when asked go through steps on increasing volume on touchscreen.  Referenced this forum reflecting many have same  issue.  Will receive a $10 credit on bill for inconvenience.  It was recommended to set up appt for tech to come out and replace touch screen, if warranted, at no charge.  Asked why they did not reach out to provide those who have documented the issue with an update.   No response other than apologies for inconvenience.  No mention on status of when/if a fix is in the works.  Really?

Posted by
New Poster
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 29 of 54

I got the same offer for service tech to come out but without an update to correct the problem why replace the touchscreen, no offer for a credit on my account however.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 30 of 54
All --.

I have escalated the concern of some subscribers hearing lower than normal volume on their Touchscreens.

I or one of the other forum moderators will post back as soon as we have any details to share!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 31 of 54
Thank you. We've had almost no sound coming from the touchscreen for like 5 days now. I'm hoping for a fix soon. It's really diminished my confidence in my home security.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 32 of 54

Hi

my concern is while the volume is not working is the system actually arming when I set it

Hope this is fixed soon. Wonder if all have a false sense of security right now.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 33 of 54
I had the same issue. While my system was arming night I picked up the touchscreen and tried to turn the volume up using the side controls. This time the screen showed media volume when I held the volume button down. This allowed me to change the volume of the alarm system. We had a week of unbearable loud chimes and two days of no chimes and now it's fixed. Hope this helps someone else!!
Posted by
New Poster

Message 34 of 54

Mine still says ringer volume.  Been without sound for 5 days now.  Wish it would get fixed

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 35 of 54

Same issue here. Our volume was way too high and then after a 2nd update too low to hear. Havent tested by setting it off but fear the already low volume of the siren on the touchscreen will not be audible rendering the system useless when you are sleeping.

The reason for and function of a security system is not only for when you are away but to wake you when someone is trying to enter the residence. This issue renders the system useless at night. This needs to be a priority. If this is a known issue then correct it ASAP. 

Sorry but my feeling is you broke it with these updates twice. It was working just fine. Now correct it just as quickly. This is inexcusable. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 36 of 54

Same problem here. I've posted here at least once and called once as well but received no call back and no tech scheduled. Just frustrating to think someone could break in at night while we are sleeping and not hear the alarm. I've invested a lot in cameras and extra window/door sensors. I have less than a year in my contract left and beginning to think I need to look elsewhere. I also have the best triple play package and pay a large amount each month. No help whatsoever. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 37 of 54
Solution

lkpolovchik wrote:

You didn't say you tried this:

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 38 of 54

I believe that I did mention that I spoke to Xfinity once. The tech did take me thru those steps. I have a ticket number and was told I would receive a call back but never have. I'm reasonably certain that everything that could be tried on my end was done. It is a software glitch that needs fixed for some of us and is taking too long to fix. 

Edit: I just spoke with a tech and the workaround is to go to settings, security, then do an alarm test. As the system is arming, press the volume control on the right side of touchscreen and adjust the volume. I was told this is only a workaround. A firmware update is needed for a permanent fix. The fix will also solve the problem with cameras disconnecting from the security system temporarily. I was one of those experiencing that problem. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 39 of 54

All -

We have had the same problem with the loudness; however, while we were gone for a few days, the system reset itself and now YOU CAN HARDLY HEAR THE THING. We went to settings and put in on the highest (#7) but no luck. Also turned the volume on the side of the unit all the way up, and YOU STILL CAN'T HEAR IT.

So things went from bad to worse. 

It was annoying to have something so loud that when we walked the dog early in the morning, opening the door woke up the entire household, but now the sound is so low that even the dog can't hear it. Seriously, Comcast?

GHH

Posted by
New Poster

Message 40 of 54

Thanks for posting that workaround! It worked. You saved me an annoying and frustrating phone call, which may or may not have yielded results.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 41 of 54

YES! This worked for me as well. Can now hear arming and door chimes. Thanks so much!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 42 of 54

Thanks for the workaround, worked for me also!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 43 of 54

Thank you SO MUCH for posting the workaround!  Would have been nice if Comcast did a mass communication with this information.  Apparently cannot count on them for customer service as good as you have just provided. Thanks!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 44 of 54

Thank you, that worked for us as well.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 45 of 54
Thanks. The workaround worked for me also.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 46 of 54
This worked! Thank you!
Posted by
New Poster

Message 47 of 54
This work around worked for me too. But it's still just a temporary fix. I Really hope that if/when they send another update to permanently fix the real source of the problem it doesn't screw it all up again. I asked for a credit and they said they'd give me one.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 48 of 54

Please hurry! Completely unable to use security system until the tones can be heard.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 49 of 54

lkpolovchik wrote:

I believe that I did mention that I spoke to Xfinity once. The tech did take me thru those steps. I have a ticket number and was told I would receive a call back but never have. I'm reasonably certain that everything that could be tried on my end was done. It is a software glitch that needs fixed for some of us and is taking too long to fix. 

Edit: I just spoke with a tech and the workaround is to go to settings, security, then do an alarm test. As the system is arming, press the volume control on the right side of touchscreen and adjust the volume. I was told this is only a workaround. A firmware update is needed for a permanent fix. The fix will also solve the problem with cameras disconnecting from the security system temporarily. I was one of those experiencing that problem. 

I was told tonight by an agent to do something similar to what you described, but he told me to hold the alarm button and the volume button on the side at the same time, which did not work. He said it was tricky, and it may take several tries. After about 30 attempts, I finally gave up. He also told me that this was the manual way to fix it and there were no more patches coming out.

Apparently wrong again. After reading some posts on this board, I called back and this agent I spoke with told me how to do a workaround, which is the way you described and he also told me that there was indeed another patch/fix coming out, but no ETA for it, but at least it's working again. Geez, can't these guys get on the same page with their info?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 50 of 54
Mine is doing the same thing! I can't hear any noise coming from the touch screen for sensors opening or it being alarmed and disarmed