Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Issue with Xfinity Home Security while using XB6-T in bridge mode

New Poster

Issue with Xfinity Home Security while using XB6-T in bridge mode

I am an Xfinity Home Security and Xfinity Gigabit Customer (Internet customer going back to TCI in the 90’s). When I moved to the Gigabit plan, I had the XB6-T Modem/Router installed. Given the 1 TB monthly cap that I have exceed several times, I decided to move off of the XB6-T as the router and put that in Bridge Mode. I moved to using an ASUS GT-AC5300 Wifi Router so that I could get a much better handle on where the data usage and I am using some RT-AC68’s for an AiMesh network throughout my house. Works great, I can now get granular data usage on each host and I suspect the XB6-T Modem was also counting east-west traffic as part of my total north-south consumption. About a week ago, my Xfinity Home Security system started kickoff off intrusion alarms as it was reporting doors opening up even when they were not. This happened about 4 times this past week so I had a tech visit as my home yesterday. At first he thought I had an issue with my Touch Screen. He was going to replace this and then have it go direct to the XB6-T (vs the Netgear N-150 sidecar which is in place today). When he discovered that I was running the XB6-T in bridge mode, he told me this is what is causing the issue. There were some software updates done in the past week that is causing this issue. Now I have a decision to make. Do I move back to using the XB6-T as the router so I can continue on as a Home Security customer? Given my investment in the ASUS gear and the fact that I can really see what is really going on each host in my network (vs as a percentage as Comcast shows which is of little use to me), NO WAY. So I am now looking at other options for Home Security which is somewhat funny as the whole 1 TB cap is what drove me to moving off the XB6-T as a router in the first place. Now if I can figure out how to make this work with ASUS as the router, I will likely stay on Xfinity Home Security. Anyone have any ideas here? Seems strange that Xfinity Home Security would work if I was using another company for my Internet.
Problem Solver

Re: Issue with Xfinity Home Security while using XB6-T in bridge mode

Not sure how to address the rest of your issues without knowing more detail, but you don't need to use the XB6 to have Home Security.

I'm using my own modem (ARRIS SB8200, with ASUS RT-AC88U).

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
New Poster

This was working fine until about 10 days ago. I was told that my touchpad will not work now with the XB6 while in bride mode given software updates that were just rolled out. . Now I have sensors and cameras coming off line, doors closed that the sensor is showing open, the alarm going off when doors are not opened, alerts that sensor batteries are low when they are not. I am hoping that Comcast can figure this out, but if nothing changes soon I will have to move to another alarm system. Just filled out a survey with poor marks and pointed to this post. I will reply if this is resolved or not.
Official Employee

Hi Billy2025. As your recent visiting technician has stated, we are unable to support Xfinity Home Security with your Wireless Gateway in bridge mode. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you.