Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Considering Xfinity Home Security but I'm Trying to understand Xfinity security equipment install

Frequent Visitor

Considering Xfinity Home Security but I'm Trying to understand Xfinity security equipment install

I would like to eliminate my current requirement for a landline. One option is to go with Xfinity Home. I currently have a wired system with land line monitoring from a well known security company.  I am an existing triple play Comcast customer. Comcast tells me that they can replace the existing system board with their equipment and I can have internet monitoring with cellular backup and still keep my wired system. That sounds good to me.

The problem I am having in going forward is that the only way to see how the equipment will be installed is to schedule an appointment to have a tech install it. I was basically told that if I am not happy with the install at any point I can cancel the work. 

I’m trying to get my head around what equipment would be changed out? It looks like they also install separate router for the security function. Where is that installed?

Is there anywhere that I can get a network diagram of how the network side install would be done? What wiring needs to be changed on the network side of the install? For example does coax or cat 5 need to be run to the alarm system box with the system board? I ask these questions because if some new drops need to be run I would want them to be installed in a professional way, not run in the sloppy way cable tv drops are run.

Another question is how does, if at all, the replacement equipment interface with or replace my existing control pads, I have 3?

It seems like no one except the installer can answer the questions. 
Is there another way to get the questions answered without requiring a truck roll for an install? I don't want to end up with no alarm system when the tech leaves.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Considering Xfinity Home Security but I'm Trying to understand Xfinity security equipment instal

deleted reply

Official Employee

Re: Considering Xfinity Home Security but I'm Trying to understand Xfinity security equipment instal

The install tech will determine onsite if an existing system can be taken over or not, there’s a criteria that they follow. The tech will explain and go over everything before install is started, and answer any questions, so if you say no that’s the time to do it.

Some of your concerns
-you have an XB3, you don’t need a separate Netgear router
-the system uses a PIM ( Panel Interface Module) attached to your present system and communicates with our touchscreen. There’s no wires to be ran

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

ComcastAndrew
Can you tell me a little more about the “takeover” with a PIM? I just did some brief googling and it looks like the alarm system board stays and a PIM is just added to the system. The PIM is the go between the Xfinity control and the current system. That implies that the existing control pads and functions stay the same for the system. Is that Correct?
It also brings into question of how the cell backup works, is that connected to the PIM or where? Does the wireless home network need to be up for the Cell backup to work?
I can identify what system I currently have, it is a Moose Z1100 system. I would think with that information someone from Comcast would know if the "takeover" should work. That alone could decide it it would be worth a truck roll.
 Also how do I know if my current Comcast cable modem / router is an XB3?

I also see that Comcast purchased the company that made at least one brand of PIM, iControl Networks. Intresting! 

Tom

Official Employee

Again, only an on-site tech can make that determination at time of install.

There’s a SIM card in the touchscreen that provides the cell back up. The cell back up is for when your home network is down for whatever reason.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Based on the information I have received, or should I say, lack of any detailed information, from Comcast I have decided not to go forward with the comcast security service.

For me to go forward it would be a “leap of faith”  to go with them. 

Contributor

How would it be a leap of faith just cause you can’t get the answer you are looking for?  I have had the system for 4 years now without any issues. If any issues did arise,it was taken care of as soon as possible. As for what you asking about, how would anyone be able to answer your question without actually seeing what you have.  It does not hurt to have a salesman that is trained in this product to evaluate your system to tell you exactly what they can do for you. I am not trying to tell you to get the product, but it is unreasonable to not find out more because you didn’t get answers on an online forum. 

I can tell from MY OWN experience, I had my wired box replaced with Comcast one.  Nothing was rewired. They do not do wire any sensors. If your sensors aren’t compatible,they install wireless ones. You can get those on eBay for cheap and do it yourself. You wouldn’t need the router if they upgrade your leased modem to the newest model, the network router is built into the new modem.  If you have any questions feel free to respond. I have also been using the automation equipment and it works just as well. 

Frequent Visitor

BIACS

Your comment "It does not hurt to have a salesman that is trained in this product to evaluate your system to tell you exactly what they can do for you." Comcast did not offer that, my only option was to commit to an install and only then, after the tech was at to the house for the install, could I determine what they would do. I had no idea on about current alarm functions would be retained, what equipment would be changed out, nothing.

You also commented “It is unreasonable to not find out more because you didn’t get answers on an online forum." The forum was my last hope, I really wanted to consider them, in the beginning they were my first choice. I went to them before even considering staying with my current alarm company. I went to the local Comcast store and spoke to one of the reps. He could not answer my questions. He told me he would speak to an installer and see if he could get answers for me. I checked back with him about 2 weeks later, he was still checking. A week or so later I emailed him, no answer. I texted him and emailed again, no answer. I went to the forum, no good answers here even when I listed the current equipment I have. I gave up, I’m not going to beg a company to do business with me.

As for the wired system, I assumed all along that they could use my existing wires on the sensor side, that was a must. I also wanted them to use the existing wired smoke alarms. As for the rest of the system, thats what I wanted to know what needed to be replaced and what stays. Will my current 3 alarm pads work with the existing or will they be replaced? Would they keep the current, almost 30 year old, control board or replace it? You saw what the answers were from Comcast.

One more thing, depending on the tech to tell me how my system would function. I have had some very poor experiences with Comcast. When I upgraded to X1 the equipment did not come up on a self install. They sent a tech that did not speak a word of english. He was here 3 hours and did not fix the problem. I had to call a friend to translate for me to communicate. I finally sent him away without the cable working. I fixed the problem by getting another X1 box from the Comcast store.

With the above said I think Comcast is a good company. I think they are a better phone company than AT&T. One of the reasons I want to change out my alarm system is I want to get off my AT&T land line. I already have Comcast phone service and the only reason I kept AT&T was for the alarm.

Maybe if more people like you had responded I would not have made up my mind on not going Comcast. The Comcast reps did not help.
Contributor

Contributor

Service Expert

@TomMiami1 wrote:

BIACS

Your comment "It does not hurt to have a salesman that is trained in this product to evaluate your system to tell you exactly what they can do for you." Comcast did not offer that, my only option was to commit to an install and only then, after the tech was at to the house for the install, could I determine what they would do. I had no idea on about current alarm functions would be retained, what equipment would be changed out, nothing.

You also commented “It is unreasonable to not find out more because you didn’t get answers on an online forum." The forum was my last hope, I really wanted to consider them, in the beginning they were my first choice. I went to them before even considering staying with my current alarm company. I went to the local Comcast store and spoke to one of the reps. He could not answer my questions. He told me he would speak to an installer and see if he could get answers for me. I checked back with him about 2 weeks later, he was still checking. A week or so later I emailed him, no answer. I texted him and emailed again, no answer. I went to the forum, no good answers here even when I listed the current equipment I have. I gave up, I’m not going to beg a company to do business with me.

As for the wired system, I assumed all along that they could use my existing wires on the sensor side, that was a must. I also wanted them to use the existing wired smoke alarms. As for the rest of the system, thats what I wanted to know what needed to be replaced and what stays. Will my current 3 alarm pads work with the existing or will they be replaced? Would they keep the current, almost 30 year old, control board or replace it? You saw what the answers were from Comcast.

One more thing, depending on the tech to tell me how my system would function. I have had some very poor experiences with Comcast. When I upgraded to X1 the equipment did not come up on a self install. They sent a tech that did not speak a word of english. He was here 3 hours and did not fix the problem. I had to call a friend to translate for me to communicate. I finally sent him away without the cable working. I fixed the problem by getting another X1 box from the Comcast store.

With the above said I think Comcast is a good company. I think they are a better phone company than AT&T. One of the reasons I want to change out my alarm system is I want to get off my AT&T land line. I already have Comcast phone service and the only reason I kept AT&T was for the alarm.

Maybe if more people like you had responded I would not have made up my mind on not going Comcast. The Comcast reps did not help.

Sorry to hear that; I have always gotten good service from Comcast, especially when it comes to XHome.  They send techs promptly and the tech are very knowledgeable.  Unfortunately, I suspect some areas of the USA are not as well covered as where I live in the Houston Market which is quite large with competition from other companies.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation