Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

home signal strenght outside 18, inside -16

ANSWERED
New Poster

home signal strenght outside 18, inside -16

tech says signal strength outside is 18 but inside he says it is -16.  He didn't hook up to anything inside so how does he know this?

He came back in the house after being outside for 45 minutes and told me my signal has "failed"

Then he wanted to climb into my attic to look at wires.

An A/C guy had recently tried to scam me and I was vey leary.

I asked to talk to his super because he spoke very bad English.

30 mintes later his super still hadn't called back.

By now he's been here 1.5 hours

So I called to get someone to talk to me.

They just suggested I cancel the installation visit for my 2nd DVR so I did.

Anybody have any idea what's going on?

Accepted Solution

Re: home signal strenght outside 18, inside -16

Hi porterich1, 

The information provided by @nerdburg is correct. Due to the poor signals that the tech reported, it is sometimes necessary for them to ask for access to a crawl space or attic where they are sometimes able to isolate the signal issues to an old splitter or coaxial cable that needs to be replaced. Until they are able to isolate the issue, your signal issues will remain the same or could possibly get worse. 

I hope we were able to provide a better understanding of why the tech would request access to the attic. I understand why you would be hesitant in allowing this. But if you should happen to change your mind and would like to have another tech out, please let me know and I can help get it scheduled for you. 

View answer in context
Cable Expert

The tech has a handheld device that tells them what the signal levels are for your devices. In order to fix your signal levels, he had to fix the wiring. Apparently, your cable wires are in the attic. It's nothing really out of the ordinary, but I understand how you might be alarmed, particularly with past bad experiences. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Hi porterich1, 

The information provided by @nerdburg is correct. Due to the poor signals that the tech reported, it is sometimes necessary for them to ask for access to a crawl space or attic where they are sometimes able to isolate the signal issues to an old splitter or coaxial cable that needs to be replaced. Until they are able to isolate the issue, your signal issues will remain the same or could possibly get worse. 

I hope we were able to provide a better understanding of why the tech would request access to the attic. I understand why you would be hesitant in allowing this. But if you should happen to change your mind and would like to have another tech out, please let me know and I can help get it scheduled for you. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

18 to -16 is a lot of signal strength loss.  As mentioned by others, the tech likely is taking a read of the devices in your system (DVR, STB, cable modem, etc.) that they see over the network.  I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I suspect it wouldn't be off by too much (vs disconnecting the cable at a device and testing it that way).

You don't say how many rooms and splitters are on your system.  I've seen poor signal issues related to bad splitters, poor connectors crimped to the ends of cables, inline coax connectors used to extend cables that weaken the signal, coax cables stapled so hard to the house structure (i.e. wood beams) that the stapling degraded the cables, etc.

Good luck.

New Poster

I do still want to install a 2nd DVR in the bedroom and now with a better understanding (and verification) of the issue, I would like to reschedule.

Official Employee

porterich1, I can help out with that new DVR install. Please send me a private message with your full name, address and phone number for help. 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation