Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Shady business practices by Comcast BEWARE

Frequent Visitor

Shady business practices by Comcast BEWARE

For some reason, my internet was not working after I had disconnected it for most of the day due to having a home showing as I'm selling my condo.  So I called Comcast and they said my modem was now, for unknown reasons, showing not connected.  They told me they had to send out a rep.  At NO time during this phone call was I told that I would be charged $60 for a service visit. That is problem #1. I was told, however, not to disconnect my modem for that length of time.  So be warned, evidently Comcast internet will no longer work if you disconnect your modem and reconnect it after 8 hours and it will fry your modem.  THAT is problem #2.  Why should it matter how long my modem is disconnected?  Should my modem still not work?

The rep came out and was very helpful.  Eventually, it was diagnosed that it was my modem that is faulty.  THAT is problem #3.  Why did my modem stop working just because I disconnected it for 8 hours?  In any case,  the rep was more than helpful waiting outside my residence while I had to go to the store to buy a new modem, which in my view, was caused by the fact that somehow reconnecting it after 8 hours caused it to break.  I'll eat the cost of the new modem.  But there is NO WAY I am paying $60 for a service call.

So of course I called Comcast and they said they are "investigating" it.  I even told them to pull the call as I am 100% sure I was never told that it cost $60 for a service call.

So multiple lessons learned here.  Dont disconnect/reconnect your modem after 8 hours as evidently Comcast will cause your modem to no longer work and NEVER have a rep come to your residence or business to fix THEIR problem because they will charge YOU for them to fix what in my view was their fault.

Cable Expert

Re: Shady business practices by Comcast BEWARE

There is no reason you can't power your modem off and reconnect it at a later time. The reason there was a charge for the tech visit is that it was your equipment that failed, it really had nothing to do with Comcast. With that said, they should have told you there was potentially a charge for a tech visit. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Hi Dude404, 

The information provided by @nerdburg is correct. If the problem was confirmed to be customer owned equipment, there will be a charge for the technician coming out. However, I'd be more than happy to review your account to review notes and try to locate the phone call to see if there's anything we can help. 

Can you please verify your first and last name, full street address, and the phone number or account number associated with your services in a private message? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

It's unfortunate, but I am unable to send you a private message for some reason.  I click on your name then select "send Message".  I'm then taken to another screen that says "Private Messages", but I'm unable to type anything.  Tried it using two different browsers.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Let me also say that I've had reps to my home before and to my recollection, I was never charged.  But in any case I am 100% certain that during my phone call with the rep, they never mentioned a $60 service call fee.  If I would have known that, I would have just gone out and bought a $50 modem and saved myself the $60 service call fee.  I'm sure you can appreciate where I'm coming from here.....

But now if you could assist me in sending you a private message, it would be appreciated.

Frequent Visitor

And by the way, I am not the first person to ever complain of this practice.  You can do an internet search for many others having this done to them as well.......If you like I can post links to others that have had this done to them....you can easily do an internet search to find out what I'm talking about.  So I'm not just upset I seem to be getting ripped off, but it appears this practice is at least somewhat widespread, so I'm also upset that evidently Comcast is doing this to who knows how many others.  What other company does this and isnt upfront about their fees when making a home visit?  None that I'm aware of......

Frequent Visitor

If that is the case, why was I told by the 2nd comcast rep I spoke to not to disconnect my modem for that long of a period of time?  Evidently, this rep was aware of some type of issue if you were to do that.  Which again, this leads me to believe that this issue WASNT the fault of my modem, but the fault of Comcast.  Why would he say that if it wasnt some type of known issue? It wouldnt make sense for him to volunteer this information if there WASNT a known issue on Comcast's end with disconnecting/reconnecting after 8 hours.  That's just flat out illogical.  By the way, Comcast would be able to hear that on our taped conversation as well.  

@nerdburg wrote:

There is no reason you can't power your modem off and reconnect it at a later time. The reason there was a charge for the tech visit is that it was your equipment that failed, it really had nothing to do with Comcast. With that said, they should have told you there was potentially a charge for a tech visit. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

Official Employee

Dude404, I'm following up for Che. 

I will send you a private message. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation