Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Secondary Restricted Users Allowed to Change/Order TV Equipment/Plans: Why?

Regular Contributor

Secondary Restricted Users Allowed to Change/Order TV Equipment/Plans: Why?

I signed as one of the secondary restricted users on my account.  I am the primary user.  As a secondary restricted user, I could not change any user ids or passwords, which is as it should be.  But, I was curious, and went to the equipment section of my account, and found that as a secondary user I could change/order TV equipment/plans.  What's going on?

Admin1

Re: Secondary Restricted Users Allowed to Change/Order TV Equipment/Plans: Why?

Hi anon86290 -- You may have given the secondary user ID a permission to make changes. You can check your user settings to change any permissions necessary. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

I checked all permissions before making my original post.  Here are screenshots.  Both screenshots were taken when I was signed on as a restricted secondary account.  The first one is where I was taken when I said I wanted to add equipment; notice that it was going to let me do that.  The next screenshot shows the relevant permission setting; notice that it is turned OFF.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/3cuq52zxq/

Admin1

anon86290 -- Does it let you fully complete an order?

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastZach wrote:

anon86290 -- Does it let you fully complete an order?

Well, you are asking the same question that I had.  The button to complete did react when I hovered over it, but I didn't want to try to 'complete the order', because if it did  go through, it is a real pain to correct things with Comcast.  I've been with Comcast (@home, sbc something, attbi, etc) since 1999, and I've learned that  fixing things is not always as easy as it  should be.  I'm not willing to try, because what if it did complete the order.

I would think that a secondary restricted user wouldn't even be allowed to get to the "How many TVs would you like to connect" page.  That type of user can't get to other pages that contain functions that (s)he cannot change, so why this one?  Inconsistency?

I'll just consider this thread done.

Official Employee

anon86290, As an Xfinity customer, you can manage what secondary users on your account are able to do. You can assign access to account settings, which allows users to change their username and email settings. You can also assign access to bill pay, which allows users to view or pay bills. 

I found this regarding secondary users: 

Secondary accounts can be designated as Unrestricted or Restricted by the Primary user:

• Unrestricted - Full access to all Xfinity TV, Xfinity Internet, Xfinity Voice and Xfinity Home account features, including the ability to edit/change their username or password, manage email settings, enable/disable Xfinity Internet and Xfinity Home features and more.
    • This does not include the ability to manage an Xfinity Mobile account.
    • Previously, Xfinity Home Customers had a single login. Now, Unrestricted Secondary users can manage Xfinity Home features via their own login.
  • Restricted - Do not have the ability to edit/change their username, manage email settings or enable/disable Xfinity Internet or Xfinity Home features. However, user can edit/change their password and may be granted access by Primary account users to view and pay the bill, if needed.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

anon86290, As an Xfinity customer, you can manage what secondary users on your account are able to do. You can assign access to account settings, which allows users to change their username and email settings. You can also assign access to bill pay, which allows users to view or pay bills. 

I found this regarding secondary users: 

Secondary accounts can be designated as Unrestricted or Restricted by the Primary user:

• Unrestricted - Full access to all Xfinity TV, Xfinity Internet, Xfinity Voice and Xfinity Home account features, including the ability to edit/change their username or password, manage email settings, enable/disable Xfinity Internet and Xfinity Home features and more.
    • This does not include the ability to manage an Xfinity Mobile account.
    • Previously, Xfinity Home Customers had a single login. Now, Unrestricted Secondary users can manage Xfinity Home features via their own login.
  • Restricted - Do not have the ability to edit/change their username, manage email settings or enable/disable Xfinity Internet or Xfinity Home features. However, user can edit/change their password and may be granted access by Primary account users to view and pay the bill, if needed.

Well, that's all nice, and I know all that. My original post laid out the issue, that is, why is a secondary restricted account given access that it should not have.  I'm surprised that two Comcast employees have replied, but have not provided an answer.  I was expecting an answer like, "Yes, something is wrong with allowing a secondary restricted account access to manage devices", or, "We don't know why this is happening", or, "This is the way it is supposed to work".  I don't need to get directed to copy/paste pages about secondary accounts.  I obviously know all of this, and that's why I make the original post.  It's not working as described.

Official Employee

I get what you're saying. I'm not sure why the secondary user was able to see all of that, but if the secondary user isn't able to actually process the actual change (yet to be seen), then it is technically within it's bounds. 

I would recommend seeing if changing the status to restricted secondary allows you to see the same content. Let us know here. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

I get what you're saying. I'm not sure why the secondary user was able to see all of that, but if the secondary user isn't able to actually process the actual change (yet to be seen), then it is technically within it's bounds. 

I would recommend seeing if changing the status to restricted secondary allows you to see the same content. Let us know here. 

KenF

Oh, boy.  Here we go again.  The account is, and always has been,  'secondary restricted account', as I've written in EVERY reply of mine, and it is in the subject of this thread.  Does no one pay any attention?!  I give up.  Don't have time to speak with people who are not listening/reading. 

Official Employee

My intent wasn't to make you upset-- Just trying to understand a bit more. Post again if you need assistance. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation