Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Scam txt messages from xfinityassist

New Poster

Scam txt messages from xfinityassist

Had a service tech to the apartment on Friday to deal with low signal strength. Fixed. This morning (Sunday) I got a text message on my cellphone (not Xfinity service) from 266278 saying:

Welcome and thanks for choosing Xfinity! Tap for next step with a url of xfinityassist.com/(some random numbers/letters). Txt help or stop. Msg&DataRatesMayApply

Eighteen minutes later I got another message saying:

Your appointment is all set! Tap here for details and next steps: same url but with different /numbers and letters following. Txt help or stop.

That struck me as very strange so I did a WHOIS check and found it is registered to an Alex Boenisch of Relay Network, LLC, in Radnor, PA. Web searches for Relay Network turned up other locations. SInce I have a landline with Xfinity how did my cellphone get connected with them and how did this just happen out of the clear blue sky right after I had an Xfinity appointment? Have they been hacked?

New Poster

Re: Scam txt messages from xfinityassist

I, too, have received text messages sent to my home phone. Hope someone responds to this.
Official Employee

Hello all,

@zixl - 266-278 is a valid number. We send all text notifications from this number. Seems like there was a delay in text messaging and you got text notifications on Sunday instead of Friday. 

@GrannyFranny60 - What kind of notifications have you received? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

How did you get my cellphone number? Is xfinityassist.com part of your company or was someone spoofing your number?

Secondly, the apointment I had was for 3/23 and the tech showed up.

Thirdly, I got another call on my landline (which is through Xfinity and associated with my account) that I have an appointment for 3/31, which I didn't know about and which I cannot find in my account on-line.

Official Employee

@zixl - No, xfinityassist.com is not part of our company. Could you please send me a private message with your full name, the account holder's name and address as it listed on the billing statement, a phone or an account number? I need to pull up your information to see if there were any tech visits scheduled after 3/23. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation