Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

SSN Number

New Poster

SSN Number

Pleast tell me how after MANY YEARS of having Xfinity and just having a service call with them a few months ago some how my last four of my SSN have suddently been changed and NO ONE can verify me.  However, I have been told I can go to the nearest store (20 miles from my home) to give them my ID to verify who I am.  REALLY?  I didn't cause this issue.  

New Poster

Re: SSN Number

Same thing - customer for about 25 years.  Called to discuss their billing errors (charging for equipment that is not in place in our home) as well as get service for a tv issue - but they won't talk us to because somehow they have the wrong ssn.  Told us we have to drive to the nearest office (will take an hour plus there and back).  Yet they have no problem taking our checks for 25 years.  Asked them to send someone to our home instead of inconveniencing us for their misinformation ... not possible.  We are 3/4 through the last 2 year contract and there are new terms being introduced for the continuing performance of their end of the contract we entered into.  Introducing new requirements in order to provide service, discuss our account with us, make repairs -- even though we pay on time every time for 20+ years is appalling customer service.  Hello Verizon ... we're ready ...

Official Employee

Hello all, I apologize if going into a local Comcast store is an inconvenience to you but the information that you have received is correct. In order to change any account specific information such as your name, street address, or even your last 4 of your social you’re required to visit a Comcast service center with proper documentation needed for the change. We take these measures to protect your identity and personal information.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

If Comcast were serious about this particular issue they would take steps to ensure that the data already in place is secure and doesn't get lost. Then customers would not be asked to drive somewhere to reestablish their identities.

My wife and I have paid more than $30,000.00 to comcast over more than 14 years as customers. More than 10 years ago we took steps - required by Comcast - to make me an authorized contact to deal with support issues. This included providing MY SS number. Sometimes when I call for support I am able to get it, but most of the time they ask for my wife's information. I don't keep my wife's SS information available for obvious reasons. Today when I tried to get support they refused service because I refused to give them my wife's SS number. To punish me (I think) they put me on hold for a long time, so I hung up. They had called me to follow up on an earlier support call, one which I successfully got through for support during which they escalated the ticket.

So this is the situation: I call for support and get through using my own information. They can't fix the problem so create an escalation ticket. They call ME back then run me through the wringer over the SS information. Now I'm frustrated to the max and we haven't even begun to discuss the underlying issue. 

I go to the comcast website where they provided a feedback form. Without telling me, they apparently limit the amount of characters I can enter. In the middle of my statement I can type no more. Frustrated? Indeed.

Will they call back to work on the ticket? I doubt it. If they do, will they have fixed the SS problem so we can talk like adults? Again, I doubt it. End result? They will lose a customer who has forked over thousands and thousands of dollars over a long period of time as a customer. Do they care? I DOUBT IT

All this leaves me one option, and that is to express my displeasure through my wallet. What a shame

Official Employee

Hi kimmerian, I understand what you mean but again we take these measures to protect the account holder. It sounds like your account is in your wife's name and her last 4 is needed to access the account. There are ways around having to provide her social, you can have her add you as an authorized user and request that both social security numbers be added to the account. Or, you can have her add you as an authorized user and create a pin code for the account so no social security number is needed. The only other option would be to go into a local Comcast service center and have the information changed.  

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

I totally agree with you.  I had evened asked that since I have been paying over 250.00 a month for years there was no issue taking MY money but you can't go back to the Original "paperwork" that I had signed when I upgraded to check my last four SSN?  WTH?  I was furious!!!

I did go to the such said store to prove who I was on Sunday!  Yes, I did!  I also took back the home security and cable equipment.  Unfortunately, I am stuck with having internet with them for now because of where I live.  They are sticking it to me thought, 97.00 a month JUST for internet!

It's sad and unfortunate but there have been so many other issues when calling them for help, I can't even go into.  It's not worth them taking anymore of my life and blood pressure raising.  

Bless you to the two people that responded to me!!!!  I hope you find some happiness in this crazy world of cable money gouging A-holes!!!!!   

New Poster

Hello ComcastAmir: 

If you had bothered to read my message you would have noticed that I have already done those things you recommend. I HAVE been added as an authorized user. I HAVE provided my SSN. SOMETIMES I am able to get support because of this, other times I cannot get support. Please note that part of my message that clearly states that if Comcast were serious about protecting information they would take steps to avoid losing the information that they already have. They would also be consistent with that information. In my case, I should NEVER have problems getting support using my own SSN.

Instead of dancing around this issue your time would be better appreciated - and your responses more credible - if you would address the real issues at hand. One of those is that Comcast is careless with the SSN that people have provided and that they are not storing that information in a location that is readily and easily accessible to the reps we have to deal with when we call. Worse, Comcast puts the onus on the user to fix what is essentially a Comcast problem. Again, I have taken all necessary steps to get support under my name and SSN number - steps laid out and required by Comcast. Why then, do I  still have problems getting support and what will Comcast do to fix the problem without making me drive somewhere?

New Poster

I am not bound by a contract and can cancel this service at any time. I am investigating email access only coupled with a subscription to SLING TV. I can save hundreds of dollars per month and avoid all this hassle and run around. It's clear that Comcast cares little about the money I have paid over the years, or the money they could continue to receive if they simply reverted back to the American work ethic we used to be famous for. Instead they choose to deflect inquires, avoid resolutions, and obfuscate the issues. Very sad - and the main reason why the public is screaming for open market competition.

I have been trying for days to get an issue resolved with accessing web-based email via Comcast. The last conversation was over 24 hours ago when yet the third rep involved asked me the same questions, got the same answers, and promised and escalation call within 30 minutes. Nothing yet - surprise

Official Employee

kimmerian, I understand your frustrations. As long as you are an authorized user, we can help you with most service and billing issues via the forums. What specific issues are you finding with your email? 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Then why does it say that SSN is not mandatory on your website? 

Official Employee

mollygolanka, I'm referring to the authentication practices our Corporate forums team utilizes. On the forums, we do not need the social security number to verify identity to keep that information as safe as possible. 

The website maintain it's own authentication process. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

I just call today about my bill that they told me will be updated 2 days ago and they say my SSN is not right or is jumbo up.  I change my plan last month and use my SSN to change it, I call 2 days ago to talk about my bill and use my SSN and it works and I can't use my SSN today for them to access my account.  They tell me i have to go to the nearest service center during their hours which is to 5pm and i leave work pretty much at that time.  I be losing money to just vertify why suddenly my account doesn't with my SSN.

New Poster

KenF: What you seem to be implying is that customer service/support that is reached via phone does NOT show me as an authorized user, but this forum does? How can that be? Why is one department in Comcast able to determine that I am authorized, while another department is not? I am not interested in trying to resolve my website issues on this forum until I have resolved the issues with phone-in customer service. It seems my ability to get service - which depends on customer service having access to the authorizations that have been provided repeatedly - is hit and miss, depending on the day I call and the rep I talk to. What can be done to rectify this? 

I'll repeat to be clear: At Comcasts' direction and their insistence, my wife and I have taken all necessary steps to authorize me as a user. That includes providing my SS number, my name, a PIN code, etc. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I need it to work and continue to work. What is your recommendation on how to resolve this snafu? Who do I have to talk to to escalate the problem and get it resolved as painlessly and with as little inconvenience to me as possible?

Thanks,

Kim

Official Employee

Hi ThisIsPhuc. I understand this can be an inconvenience. I'm not sure how this happened but since we can't physically verify your identity online, this is why we would need you to get this resolved inside your local service center. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.