Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Re: Unauthorized credit pull

Contributor

Comcast, you are 100% a violation breach in my case.  I have already contacted Comcast who admittedly said it was a mistake.  I have been a timely paying customer for about 15 yrs. Never late, no new service or additions, have occupied the same place for 5 yrs.

So this is a flagrant violation of hard pull of my credit report from Equifax.  I keep very informed of my credit, as I like keeping my score as high as possible.  Yet when something like this happens for no good reason, I become very upset, for very good reason.

I was reading some of the remarks on the blog here, and someone mentioned judically pulling an unauthorized credit report can result in fines of $1,000. and accrued fees for filing.

I am following this closely as I have done my homework regarding this inquisition to be removed by Comcast.  I expect to know for sure, in about 2 weeks.  This will tell me whether I need to continue my course.

This should be a rather reprehensible embarrassment for the company.

I will try to follow up with my findings so I can report back with either a good or bad outcome.

So, Comcast Crystal, an official digital care employee of Comcast, you may comment on this if you like.

Problem Solver

Hi wishfulhelp,

I have escalated your issues to our Escalation Resolution department and one of our team members will contact you.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Admin1

wishfulhelp -- I can have this inquiry removed from your account. I need to know the following pieces of information to do so:

• Date of Equifax Inquiry listed on credit report
  • Name as it is listed on the report
  • Address list on the report
  • Last 4 digits of the SSN list on the report

Please send this to me in a Private Message. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Hi This just happened to me. I'm livid. I made it VERY VERY clear to the rep I didn't want my credit ran. I repeated myself several times. I gave them a credit card number and paid $100 to avoid the credit inquiry. This is VERY important to me! This is liable to delay my financing. I'm ready to file a consumer complaint, Contact the BBB and even the press. This needs to be rectified ASAP. LIke today. Please help me. This is Illegal!!
image.png
image.jpeg
Admin1

Hi KerryHVann -- Apologies for this happening. A Credit Bureau Inquiry Removal ticket has been created for this issue. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

How do I start a credit inquiry removal ticket? This past April Comcast checked my credit report, resulting in a hard inquiry that lowered my credit score. I did not contact Comcast or authorize Comcast to run my credit.  

Contributor

Yes, Comcast seems to be doing this regularly, as I can tell by the posts.  They should respond to you on here or you can call during their business hours, talk to billing and they will transfer you somewhere.  I sort of half forget about getting back to this, until I see another post come up.  If they do this for no legitimate reason, it can and does pull down your credit score. But first, you have to determine if there was a legitimate reason for the pull.  Then, if there is none, you can report it too the BBB, FCC and any others you can think of.  And, the only reason I find out who pulls hard copies of my credit report, is through someone like lifelock or through a paid bank card protection of some kind.  I ordered credit reports, but it does not tell you who has pulled your credit report.  So, as far as doing much about it, just report it, and eventually Comcast will have to answer the call.  There is a legality about it, but I think it would be a long road.  Good luck.

Contributor

Oh, BTW getting new service, acquiring new equipment is reasonable cause for getting a hard copy pulled.  But, Comcast should make it a practice to advise their customers of when they do this.  But, in my case it was none of these, so be sure.

New Poster

What about swapping equipment? I was told my modem would work when I transferred my service by one rep, then was informed it wouldn't. I swapped this in store and was still not informed they would do an inquiry. I have contacted comcastzach that is in the thread to see what could be done. I know when I worked in car sales you had to explicity tell someone you were running credit (even though it was implied) and ask for the permission or the company could get in a lot of trouble. We too had fine print but that didn't matter.

Regular Visitor

As I was looking into my credit file I noticed comcast pulled 2 hard inquiries on 2 consecutive days in August 2015. It does not make any sense. They have not told me that they would do a hard pull on my credit which is not quiet right for a cable company. The normal procedure would be a soft pull as most other companies does. I never authorize you for a hard pull when I gave you my ssn on chat window when I requested for a new service. I want you to remove the hard pulls as this is damaging my credit history. 

Problem Solver

db0815 wrote:

As I was looking into my credit file I noticed comcast pulled 2 hard inquiries on 2 consecutive days in August 2015. It does not make any sense. They have not told me that they would do a hard pull on my credit which is not quiet right for a cable company. The normal procedure would be a soft pull as most other companies does. I never authorize you for a hard pull when I gave you my ssn on chat window when I requested for a new service. I want you to remove the hard pulls as this is damaging my credit history. 

Comcast has the right to pull a hard copy in the event of adding new service.

Official Employee

Hi db0815, I will submit a ticket to have both hard pulls researched, but fpirelli is right that it is Comcast's right to pull credit inquiries. I will send you a private message to further assist.

Thank you

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Just cruising through and saw your post.  Yeah, I'm not sure about transferring, but you can bet it's included.  Just about anything you apply for, ask for, buy, they will run a credit report. But, whats not expected, you're a customer like forever, pay ontime, and out of the blue somewhere you find out Comcast has pulled a hard inquiry on your credit.  No, not cool.

New Poster

No, they do not have that right simply because they are providing a basic service.  The service is a subscription, much like a magazine subscription, regardless of dropping in a modem that costs a few dollars.  If you don't pay, then the service is terminated.

Class action lawsuits across the country are growing by the numbers due to this flagrantly unethical policy.  Further, countless individuals have had credit check without their knowledge.

Contributor

There is so much legality in the fine print they drop off or you pick up with this equipment, you'll never even read.  They will have you coming, if not going.  And....if Comcast happens to see this, very soon I hope Broadcast TV streaming becomes the norm, and you will be out of the TV industry business, you greedy, greedy corps.  Can you believe your local cable was $9.95 until the broadcast giants came along and bought it out, now some people pay above $300.  I can't be more livid, but this it what we have to deal with in today's world, paying for the rich to get richer.  Oh yeah, then they send the call center jobs overseas to answer your phone calls and and before that, you get an automated system that takes at least 25 minutes to get through to a live assistant overseas.  Just tell me the troubles.  I just try and stay out of the way.  Soon, I hope really soon there will be other options, besides not having anything.

Contributor

Comcast Zach--A little late in posting, but thanks for your help..on the credit pull.

Regular Visitor

Comcast run a hard credit check on me without my authorization. When I was getting the service I asked the agent many times if they run hard credit check on customers and he assured me they only do a soft credit check. my equifax report shows that comcast run a hard check instead of the soft check. there was no way I would have signed up for their service if the agent had  told me they will run a hard check. I am preparing to report to the credit bereau and BBB if comcast does not do anything about this. My credit report is way too important to me!

Official Employee

Hi, sam2ga, I can help with your credit inquiry concern. I can submit a request to mask the credit inquiry to Equifax credit agency and will send you a private message to further assist.

Thank you

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

I got the same issue. The agent swore it was a soft pull to get my permission to run the credit check and today I received an alert that Comcast hard pulled my Equifax Report. Those phone calls were recorded, right? How dare Xfinity employees lie outright to the customers? Weren't there any legal consequencies to do so? Please remove the hard pull from my credit report. 

Official Employee

Hi jack100, I can assist you with getting this inquiry removed from your credit report. Can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me"?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Hi sam2ga, thank you for working with me through private message and please reach back out if you are still in need of assistance.

Thank you

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 13 in conversation