Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Re: Seriously cannot get a straight answer

New Poster

Comcast is confusing not returning modems with the crime of stealing modems. Stealing only occurs when someone gains possession of the item through illegal means. If possession of the item was rendered by the owner (i.e. Comcast gave the modem to a customer for use), failure to return creates civil liability--not criminal liability. It's the same reason people who don't pay their car loans aren't thieves.

What's worse, for Comcast to allege any one person has stolen a modem, or possesses a stolen modem--both crimes in every jurisdiction in America--without evidence or probable cause to believe a crime has occurred, is in itself libel.

Cable Expert

Failure to return leased or rented equipment is indeed a crime in most if not all states. It's typically known as "Theft of rental property".

A quick search of "Theft of rental property, Pennsylvania" Turns up:

(a) Offense defined.--A person who obtains personal property under an agreement for the lease or rental of the property is guilty of theft if he intentionally deals with the property as his own.

(b) Definition.--As used in this section:

(1) A person “deals with the property as his own” if he sells, secretes, destroys, converts to his own use or otherwise disposes of the property.

-Title 18 Pa.C.S.A. Crimes and Offenses § 3932

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation