New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Privacy concerns megathread

SOLVED
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 51 of 64

How do I opt out of you using any of my data, even data that you consider "non sensative"? 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 52 of 64

ComcastAlan - thanks for posting this informative statement by Gerard Lewis.  Also helpful is the opt out link, glad to know it is an option. 

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 53 of 64

Now that the President has signed legislation allowing online companies to sell our online information, browsing history and other information.  Is there a way to "opt out"?  I have tried to look on the Comcast site but have not been able to locate anything.

Thanks,

Posted by
New Poster

Message 54 of 64
Posted by
New Poster

Message 55 of 64

With the passage of the recent law concerning the sale of users browsing information, will users be able to opt-out of this and keep our information private?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 56 of 64

Today the US congress passed a internet bill and it was signed into law by the president , which allows Comcast to sell

my brousing  habbits and finantial contacts to private enterprises. Is Comcast going to  gather and selling my

private internet activity information?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 57 of 64

Now that the ding dong President signed a bill to allow all internet companies to sell ALL of our information to whomever they want, WITHOUT even informing it's customers they are doing so........is Xfinity/Comcast planning to utilize this newly passed law? 

I think this law is out right atrocious and any internet provider that takes advantage of this to make an extra buck at the expense of it's PAYING customers is even more atrocious.

We have a right to know, and I would appreciate an honest answer.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 58 of 64
I have opted out of Targeted Ads, turned off Email Ads, and attempted to opt out of Comcast Partner Ads. However, there were very few Ad Partners I was allowed to opt-out of. Can you tell me why there isn't an option to opt out of all of them?

More importantly, how do I know if and when Comcast has ever obtained my affirmative, opt-in consent to sell any of my sensitive data? Where or how do I opt-out to make sure my sensitive data isn't being and will not be sold by Comcast without my consent?
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 59 of 64

No one actually cares about your browsing history. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 60 of 64

First please not that I'm well aware of how to opt out of advertisements based on the data collection.  I want to know how to opt out of the data collection period.

Regitating the following, does not cut it.  It DOES NOT tell you how to opt out of data collection as has been implied by ComcastTed with a Marked as Answered and close the thread...  It only tells you how to not get targeted advertisements based on the collected data.

For information around the Congressional Review Act, please see our post from 3/28/17

One click to Opt out. http://my.xfinity.com/adinformation/

This may also assist: http://my.xfinity.com/privacy

Also http://www.xfinity.com/adservices

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 61 of 64

TAZ_427 wrote:

I want to know how to opt out of the data collection period.

You can't.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Administrator

Message 62 of 64

Removed for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory Remarks"

Posted by
New Poster

Message 63 of 64

ComcastAlan wrote:

In view of all the misinformation and inaccurate statements that have been made in the last week, we want to make sure that our customers understand how strong our privacy protections really are.  So we will revise our privacy policy to make more clear and prominent that, contrary to the many inaccurate statements and reports, we do not sell our customers’ individual web browsing information to third parties and that we do not share sensitive information unless our customers have affirmatively opted in to allow that to occur.

(emphasis added)

I have asked, repeatedly, on Twitter, Facebook, and this version of the policy statement where individual browsing data ends and bulk data begins. and have received no answer. Despite the fact that the policy statement is on a web page described as "a place for conversations with Comcast", my questions there are not even allowed to be posted, one listed as "Pending" for two weeks now.

When does individual web browsing data stop, and when does bulk browsing data begin? My partner and I have at least six internet connected devices at home -- two computers, two phones, two tablets, and an Apple TV -- is all that together considered bulk, and would it be sold with information indicating our household?

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 64 of 64

MDBear wrote:
My partner and I have at least six internet connected devices at home -- two computers, two phones, two tablets, and an Apple TV -- is all that together considered bulk, and would it be sold with information indicating our household?

All the data your household uses is associated with a single IP address. So when they say "individual" the implication is that they are talking about that IP address. Comcast is working on their privacy policy statements so it is more clear on exactly what data they collect and how they use it. Until then, I don't think you are going to get an official reply from Comcast. Typically when they have a sensitive issue like this, only a few people are authorized to speak on the issue publicly. Most employees can only point you to the statement already issued by the VP.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon