New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Privacy concerns megathread

ANSWERED
Cable Expert

Privacy concerns megathread

As Congress/Trump just killed our Internet privacy protections, many customers are concerned about their privacy as it relates to Comcast. This thread is dedicated to the topic.

READ COMCAST'S OFFICIAL STATEMENT

Comcast operates its own advertising network, so it doesn't need to share browsing history with third parties in order to serve targeted ads. Instead, Comcast can use its customers' browsing history to sell targeted ads. 

"Comcast may sell graphical display, text, and other ads, and deliver promotional offers for its products and services, on the Comcast Web Services and other digital properties. These ads and promotional offers may be based on information that you have provided to Comcast or its affiliates (such as the ZIP code of your XFINITY Internet service address), information about your current subscription or use of Comcast’s or its affiliates’ products or services, or other generally available information about you."

Opt-Out of Targeted Comcast Advertisements

1. Sign in at Xfinity.com, go here: http://my.xfinity.com/adinformation/

2. Click the Opt Out button. Please note that your request may take up to 72 hours to process.
    Advertising Opt Out Screen about Comcast Ads. The Opt Out button is on the bottom left.

3. You can also click Turn Off Email Ads to opt out of email advertisements, which appear in XFINITY Connect.
    Advertising Opt Out screen for Comcast Ads, with the option to turn off Email Ads in XFINITY Connect.

Opt Out of Targeted Comcast Ad-Partner Advertisements

1. Sign in at Xfinity.com.
  2. Click the Ad Info link beneath the advertisement on the right side of the home page.
  3. Scroll down and click Ad Choices under Partner Ads.
    The Ad Choices Partner Ads screen.

4. The Your Advertising Choices pop-up window will appear. Check the box for any Ad Partner from which you would prefer not to receive advertisements and click Submit Opt-outs.
    The Your Advertising Choices screen allowing user to opt out of ads from different advertisers.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Accepted Solution

Re: Privacy concerns megathread

Adding the text from the recent statement by Gerard Lewis, Senior Vice President, Deputy General Counsel & Chief Privacy Officer, Comcast in Public Policy

There’s been a lot of attention and questions about consumer privacy in recent days.  At Comcast, we respect and protect our customers’ personal information.  Always have, always will.  We do not sell our broadband customers’ individual web browsing history.  We did not do it before the FCC’s rules were adopted, and we have no plans to do so.

Comcast has committed to privacy principles that are consistent with the FTC’s privacy regime which has applied to all entities in the Internet ecosystem for over 20 years and which continues to apply to Internet edge companies like Google, Facebook, and Amazon.  We believe this commitment is legally enforceable in multiple ways, including by state Attorneys General.

There has been a lot of misleading talk about how the congressional action this week to overturn the regulatory overreach of the prior FCC will now permit us to sell sensitive customer data without customers’ knowledge or consent.  This is just not true.  In fact, we have committed not to share our customers’ sensitive information (such as banking, children’s, and health information), unless we first obtain their affirmative, opt-in consent

Our privacy commitments to our customers go even beyond this protection of sensitive information that has dominated the dialogue this week.  If a customer does not want us to use other, non-sensitive data to send them targeted ads, we offer them the ability to opt out of receiving such targeted ads.

We also continue to comply with various federal laws protecting privacy, such as the Communications Act, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, and the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, as well as dozens of state privacy and data security laws. 

In view of all the misinformation and inaccurate statements that have been made in the last week, we want to make sure that our customers understand how strong our privacy protections really are.  So we will revise our privacy policy to make more clear and prominent that, contrary to the many inaccurate statements and reports, we do not sell our customers’ individual web browsing information to third parties and that we do not share sensitive information unless our customers have affirmatively opted in to allow that to occur.

The bottom line:  Comcast values our customers’ trust, and we will continue to protect the privacy and security of their personal information.

View answer in context
New Poster

I do not approve

I DO NOT APPROVE FOR THE RELEASE OF MY INTERNET AND BROWSING INFORMATION TO BE SHARED WITH OTHERS, OUTSIDE OF THE COMCAST ORGANIZATION.

Cable Expert

Re: I do not approve

You can find Comcast's privacy policy here: https://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/CustomerPrivacy.html

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Senate Votes ro undo FCC rules protecting our internet privacy

Will Comcast/xfinity be selling our personal information externally to them? If so, I will be moving to a different provider.

New Poster

I have read the privacy policy you are linking here. It is totally unclear based on this text whether Comcast is collecting destination IP address, DNS, or URL metadata about individual customers and selling that information. A great deal of detail is provided about phone call data and cable TV viewing habits but not about Internet data. 

Comcast must make it *clear* to consumers whether or not they are tracking and/or selling data about individual browsing history. 

Cable Expert

tomcross wrote:

Comcast must make it *clear* to consumers whether or not they are tracking and/or selling data about individual browsing history. 

It's currently not legal to do that. If S.J. Res. 34 passes and President signs the bill, then it will then be legal for ISPs to collect and sell that type of data.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Re: Senate Votes ro undo FCC rules protecting our internet privacy

I would also like to know the answwr

Contributor

The Trump administration and most Republicans are voicing support for removal of these privacy restrictions as pro-business, so clearly this enhanced ability of internet service providers to collect and use more personal information will become law.  One rationale given is that companies like Google currently have an "unfair"  business advantage over companies like Comcast in terms of how much personal information they can collect and market.  And that deregulation is always good.

New Poster

privacy

If comcast shares my searches or browsing in any shape or form I will find an ISP who will not be with you much longer

New Poster

changing marketing and advertising preferences

How does one opt out of allowing your internet history to be sold to third party companies?  Please help.  Thanks.

Cable Expert

Congress just killed your Internet privacy protections

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Re: changing marketing and advertising preferences

I also would like an answer to this question.  Upon the recent appeal of internet privacy laws we need a way to opt out of having our history or search preferences sold to advertisers.   

Cable Expert

Comcast released the following statement on 2/28/17:

Congressional Review Act (CRA) Bill- Consumer Privacy

"Comcast is committed to the online privacy of our customers and has successfully followed the privacy protections that were in place for two decades until changes made by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 2016. We support rules that will protect consumers across the Internet, not just those focused on Internet Service Providers - a level playing field for Internet Service Providers and everyone else in the Internet ecosystem. The FCC has passed new regulations that Congress is reviewing. Consumer privacy will continue to be protected."

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Why am I paying Comcast to now collect and sell my internet history to third party companies?

I'll tell you why... Because Comcast is the only option in my area. Comcast, your days are numbered. You're lucky I need a highspeed connection for my job. 

Frequent Visitor

Until the bill is signed into law, Comcast's current policy of not sharing personally identifying information will remain intact.  If the bill is signed into law, then we need to put pressure on Comcast to provide an easy way for customers to 'opt out.'  They will resist, of course, just like FaceBook.

If Comcast has their way and sells this information to third parties, you can be sure their income sheet will improve dramatically.  Will they pass the windfall down to customers in the form of lower subscription rates?

One Comcast webpage (https://www.xfinity.com/adservices) talks about how one can opt out of advertising, but it appears to be limited to TV use.  You sign on to your Comcast account, click Settings (to the right of Overview Billing Users Devices near top), click TV above Internet  Voice  Internet Notifications near bottom of left side, then click Edit to the right of Targeted Advertising under Advertising Preferences to opt out.  Be sure to click Save.

Regular Visitor

Privacy

Since  the Republican House Reps voted to allow Internet Service Provider to sell our most personal information. (S.J. Res. 34) how may I go about restricting my ISP provider - that would be you Comcast?   I do not want my personal information sold.   How do I opt out?   

New Poster

Online Privacy

Congress just passed a law allowing Comcast to sell personal browsing information to others without permission.  Who/how do I write to to tell Comcast that I don't want it to do that?

New Poster

This is a pretty lie from Comcast. When you look at what they donated to members of Congress to get this bill passed, it is clear that their REAL priorities are not what they tell their customers they are.

I will be seeking alternative internet access services, and I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that all of my fellow Comcast customers do likewise.  Unless and until Comcast donates money to congress members to pass bills that PROTECT their customers, and undoes the damage they have already done, we need to stop paying them to harm our privacy!

New Poster

I have both Comcast home and business services. I am spending hundreds of dollars a month for these services. I could understand selling data in exchange for a free service, such as google search. Comcast's argument that the pending legislation levels the playing field is a bogus argument.

Dont I pay you enough ? Like the other non-employee posters here, I do not want my personal information sold to third parties without my expressed consent. Comcast needs to be explicit about any change in policy if and when this occurs. I can assure you that if they do start selling my information, I will move all my accounts to an ISP who respects my privacy, and appreciates that this is not how you treat paying customers.

Regular Visitor

If comcast decides to sell my browsing info to the highest bidder then I will ditch comcast.  Comcast will keep raising their fees while they strip us of our privacy.  How pathetic

New Poster

I"m not feeling very confident given the vagueness of Comcast's statement.  I will drop my service if they choose to do so, and I am not given a chance to opt out of having my browsing history sold.  What if we were to purchase the browsing history of Comcast's CEO and other executives and see what turns up? Doesn't feel very nice, does it?  There are already plans to purchase Congress's browsing history, I'm sure there will be widespread action to do so with ISP's that use this law.

New Poster

Selling of a User's Internet Activity Information

I just heard that Congress passed a law allowing ISPs to sell their user's browsing information to the highest bidder. If true, what is Comcast's corporate position on this? If you are indeed trying to be more customer centric, there really is only one RIGHT answer to this question (IMHO), as the affects of this on a customer's privacy could be VERY troubling, indeed...

Thank you for the opportunity to ask the question.

Contributor

That privacy notice was last revised August 1, 2015. With the rule being repealed and passing the House and most likely being signed by the President, will Comcast's privacy notice be again revised to reflect that?

It was a lot to read through. Comcast collects a whole lot of information from us.
With the Cable Act, Comcast is prohibited from disclosing information concerning any subscriber for any purposes other than when it is necessary or to conduct legitimate business activity without prior consent.

Will this change?

What is available to us to opt out of?

How can we be certain our names, address, IP address, geographic location, children's info, health info, financial info, social security numbers, web browsing history, app usage, content of communications etc are not being collected and sold to data brokers without our permission?

This is very serious. I'm disgusted by every single member of the House of Representatives that even considered this.
Comcast has been mentioned in every article about this rule. As I mentioned in another thread, Senator Al Franken specifically mentioned Comcast when he spoke against this to the House on 3-28-17.
There are a lot more questions that Comcast needs to answer. That statement just doesn't do it.
I will drop internet and cable like a hot potato if I don't get a better answer.
New Poster

Web tracking

I wish to know what Comcast plans to do when it becomes legal for them to track all of their customers' web browsing and sell the information to other companies.  I have not seen any information about this on the Xfinity website.  Does anyone know?

New Poster

The privacy statement by Comcast does not explicitly state that it will not collect and share internet user/ISP data and/or sell such data to a third party.

If this legislation goes through and Comcast does not make that explicit, I will most likely be ending my service.

New Poster

This is not an answer as to how Comcast.will protect our privacy or restrict their sharing of our browsing or personal infomation.  Weasel-words.

Contributor

To those who think switching to a different ISP is going to allow you to better protect your privacy, don't count on it.  They are all chomping at the bit to take advantage of the privacy-rights reductions resulting from the "all deregulation is a virtue" attitude of our Republican-led congress, FCC, and presidency (and their donors).

New Poster

Unhappy 30 year customer DISAPPROVES

I understand that the bill that will allow them to sell our personal information (without our permission) that they collect-personal browsing data, credit rating, recorded voice requests and voice recordings, location information and more.  (what exactly,  is for sale and will they sell to just anyone?)  
Passed House and Senate, on desk due to be signed at any time by Trump
How long would we have before they sell us out? (or do we have any time at all?). 
Is there an opt-out option?  do we have to pay to do this?  if so, how much?
Customer Care cannot help, they said I could only check my privacy options each day. I'm supposed to get a call when they find anything current,  no one has this information. 
I need to be proactive and consider my options. I am sure Comcast is well aware, locked and loaded and ready to take advantage of this new legislation. 
Please reply. 
New Poster

I understand a bill is awaiting signature that allows you to sell my personal information without notice.

Info you collect-personal browsing data, credit rating, recorded voice requests and voice recordings, location information and more (worse?).

What, exactly, is for sale? and do you sell to just anyone?

Do we have any time at all from the signing until you sell us out?

Is there an opt-out option? do we have to pay to do this? if so, how much?

I need to be proactive and consider my options, as I am sure Comcast execs are well aware and ready to take advantage of this new legislation.

I also hate that this is your form of written communication. 

Regular Contributor

"If Comcast has their way and sells this information to third parties, you can be sure their income sheet will improve dramatically.  Will they pass the windfall down to customers in the form of lower subscription rates?"

Nope, more profits for the CEO and his execs to buy bigger yachts and mansions. Send more work to India and bring in even more H1Bs to process your browser history to the highest bidder. I am tried of talking to India to people I can't understand and use "Sir" every other word when they talk to me, when I have techincal issues.

New Poster

Whether it becomes "legal" should be irrelevant. As customers we expect protections beyond what the law insures.

Just because a madman decides to remove legal barriers to exploitation does not mean that corporations are required to exploit that madness.

I have other options in my market but I know many don't due to the monopolistic nature of ISP's, but I promise I will quit if Comcast/Xfinity abuses my privacy/security expectations.

Sure I'm just one customer, but another drop in the bucket towards quarterly losses. 

Will the sale of personal information and browsing data make up for the loss of customers? Maybe, or Comcast could do the right thing, make a stand and get a loyal customer for life.

Your choice.

S.

New Poster

If this passes, it will be a great opportunity for developers of VPN (VIRTUAL PRIVATE NETWORKS) to develop the third party tools to protect our privacy by creating a barrier between our browsing metadata and Comcast. 

If Comcast/Xfinity will not commit to protecting our privacy then we need to take the extra steps needed to protect ourselves from them.

New Poster

Comcast is already scraping your data - http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/29/after-congress-repeal-only-public-outrage-defends-internet-priv.... The law that is about to be repealed never took effect, but the repeal does reverse policy as far as data privacy goes. It opens the door for Comcast and other ISP’s to collect and market your data however they see fit. Switching ISP’s is naïve at best as all of them will eventually do it. At this point your privacy online is pretty much your own responsibility.
So what can you do? First, use a virtual private network. A VPN acts as a proxy for you. The data between you and the proxy is encrypted so Comcast sees nothing. It also hides your location. I live in Denver but my location appears to be in Phoenix. You can actually appear to be in one of multiple different countries around the world. Added bonus: I got to watch the Olympics in London on BBC by connecting to a proxy in London! I use a higher end Asus router which can connect directly to the proxy so all of my Internet traffic goes through the proxy. You don’t have to upgrade your router though as you can download apps/clients for just about any device and run it standalone. I get five licenses for $40 a year so I have it on my router, phone, laptop and tablet. This also protects your data on public wifi networks like Starbucks. Just do your homework first. Some services, like the free ones, will actually scrape your data and sell it. A good service will keep no logs or data whatsoever beyond the basics needed to maintain your account.
Second, use https. Https encrypts the session between your browser and the website. Not every site uses it but there’s a quickly growing percentage that are. Type https:// before your web address, if the site supports it you should see a lock in the address bar and https:// before the web address. There are several browser add-ons such as HTTPSEverywhere that will do this automatically. Be aware that if you're not using a VPN Comcast will still see that you went to a specific site, they just won’t be able to see what you did there.
Third, don’t use Comcast email. I use Protonmail based in Switzerland for several reasons. They can’t scan your emails. Emails are encrypted on your device and sent to their server. Only you have the encryption key so if they are hacked or someone intercepts it they only get encrypted data. US courts have no jurisdiction in Switzerland and Swiss privacy laws are among the strongest. If you send an email to someone else using Protonmail you seamlessly get end-to-end encryption that is virtually impossible to hack.
There are more things you can do to protect your privacy online but I’m not going to go into them here. The above suggestions are what I consider to be the basic requirements to protect your privacy when going online, not just to protect yourself from Comcast.

New Poster

Right.  There's a 'manage advertising preferences' option in 'my account' under 'users', but it is not functioning.  I'd like to opt out of targeted advertising and Comcast will not let me do it.

New Poster

Re: Online Privacy

Everyone needs to call his/her Congressperson and senators and tell them to protect our privacy.

And STOP VOTING REPUBLICAN!!!!  When they say they'll bring jobs back, what they really mean is we'll give corporations all the tax breaks they need to increase the CEO's and top official's compensation 500%, and screw us little guys.  The robots are taking over and the jobs are not coming back.  Read, read, read.........

New Poster

Call your congressperson and senators 5X a day every day until they get the message.  And NEVER VOTE REPUBLICAN!!!   

Frequent Visitor

Per https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/how-isps-can-sell-your-web-history-and-how-to...

In January, all the major ISP lobby groups signed on to a voluntary set of privacy principles based partly on the FTC framework. They specifically pledged to follow FTC guidance for opt-in consent before sharing sensitive information and to “offer an opt-out choice to use non-sensitive customer information for personalized third-party marketing.” Browsing history would be subject to an opt-out system.

Comcast was a signee to that document.

New Poster

I need to know if Comcast is going to sell my browser and account information without my permission

I need to know if Comcast is going to sell my information and access to my computer to another company without my permission?  The President's new bill makes it possible for other people to get my banking, personal, medical, social security number, etc. information.  I sure hope that Comcast is not going to do this, because I really would not like to go back to Dish, but I will if Comcast is going to sell me out.  Nobody has the right to be able to get my information.  Please e-mail me with your response.  Thank you.

Administrator
Administrator

Adding the text from the recent statement by Gerard Lewis, Senior Vice President, Deputy General Counsel & Chief Privacy Officer, Comcast in Public Policy

There’s been a lot of attention and questions about consumer privacy in recent days.  At Comcast, we respect and protect our customers’ personal information.  Always have, always will.  We do not sell our broadband customers’ individual web browsing history.  We did not do it before the FCC’s rules were adopted, and we have no plans to do so.

Comcast has committed to privacy principles that are consistent with the FTC’s privacy regime which has applied to all entities in the Internet ecosystem for over 20 years and which continues to apply to Internet edge companies like Google, Facebook, and Amazon.  We believe this commitment is legally enforceable in multiple ways, including by state Attorneys General.

There has been a lot of misleading talk about how the congressional action this week to overturn the regulatory overreach of the prior FCC will now permit us to sell sensitive customer data without customers’ knowledge or consent.  This is just not true.  In fact, we have committed not to share our customers’ sensitive information (such as banking, children’s, and health information), unless we first obtain their affirmative, opt-in consent

Our privacy commitments to our customers go even beyond this protection of sensitive information that has dominated the dialogue this week.  If a customer does not want us to use other, non-sensitive data to send them targeted ads, we offer them the ability to opt out of receiving such targeted ads.

We also continue to comply with various federal laws protecting privacy, such as the Communications Act, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, and the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, as well as dozens of state privacy and data security laws. 

In view of all the misinformation and inaccurate statements that have been made in the last week, we want to make sure that our customers understand how strong our privacy protections really are.  So we will revise our privacy policy to make more clear and prominent that, contrary to the many inaccurate statements and reports, we do not sell our customers’ individual web browsing information to third parties and that we do not share sensitive information unless our customers have affirmatively opted in to allow that to occur.

The bottom line:  Comcast values our customers’ trust, and we will continue to protect the privacy and security of their personal information.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
New Poster

You guys say you arent going to sell what you consider to be our "sensitive data" and thats fine. Good for for you guys! But what about what you consider our "unsensitive" data? What about our browsing habits, our buying habits, ect., ect. What about that? And how do you opt out of any of this? Just as a warning to everyone else here, even if a ISP gives a opt-out option for data collection, THERES NO LAW OR REGULAION TO ENFORCE IT! Comcast only seems to let us opt out of targeted adds, I dont even see any option covering internet data collection. They dont even seem to offer the illusion of a opt out option. Now thats fine, thats almost a sort of strange honesty policy from them targeted at all of us. I dont want them trying to mislead me into thinking I've opted out of the their data collection if they dont really intend to let me do so.I know some executive, PR person, or company lawyer has released some statement saying how important our privacy is to them and how they arent going to give our "sensitive data" to some company to earn a llittle extra cash supposedly, I get that. But what about all that other "unsensitive" data, what about that? We all pay a lot of money for your services already and on top of that we have to be gratefull you arent selling our "sensitive" information to some third party? It all sounds like a bit much to me. My request to Comcast is a simple one. Give us a solid and clear opt out option for ALL the data collection and a real comitment to stick to it. Not just the promise not to give out our bank codes and health information. I dont think thats too much to ask considering how much you charge us for your services and the monopoly you insist on keeping over them in almost every state. If other folks dont care about the data collection, give them a break on their bill and make eveyone happy. One day competition will emerge and when it does, the companies that have a true comitment to protecting all their customers data will be the ones that have the advantge, and dont you forget that.

Cable Expert

[Ediit: this post was consolidated with post #1 for greater visability]

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert
Moved:

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [political commentary]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

New Poster

"We do not sell our broadband customers’ individual web browsing history"

So you store it (meaning I am at risk in the event of data breach) and sell it in a non-individual form (aggregated? as part of a bulk package with all of your customers' data? )

"we have committed not to share our customers’ sensitive information"

I consider my web browsing history sensitive. Just beacuse you don't does nothing for resolving my privacy concerns.

"we offer them the ability to opt out of receiving such targeted ads"

While I appreciate this, it's not the same as opting out from data storage and sharing.

"So we will revise our privacy policy to make more clear and prominent that,[...]"

I appreciate your attempts to clarify aspects of your privacy policy that are important to consumers, I really do. But I ultimately feel like you are still trying to mislead us by using strong statements about sensitive information, then saying web browsing history isn't sensitive, so your reassurances are irrelevant. It seems that options for customers about how their web browsing history is collected and managed are very limited - the only option is to opt-out from receiving targeted ads.

Frequent Visitor

The state senate in Minnesota voted yesterday to approve an amendment to the economic development budget bill that prohibits internet providers from collecting personal data from its customers without their permission.  The bill is complicated and it isn't assured it will be passed, but at least it is a step in the right direction.  The amendment would require internet providers to collect personal data only if customers opt in.  Not sure how it works with federal law, but apparently states can have their own rules that providers must abide by in order to do business with them.

New Poster

I was just searching options to change my internet service provider in light of the act by Congress to sell private information. I may do so, but if Comcast is committed to protecting consumer's privacy, I will reconsider. I will be monitoring the situation and urge Comcast to protect their customers at all costs. Otherwise, they will lose a huge amount of business.

Silver Problem Solver

From Macdailynews.com: http://macdailynews.com/2017/03/31/why-congresss-rejection-of-proposed-fcc-data-rules-will-not-affec...

Congress’s disapproval does not authorize ISPs or anyone else to ‘sell’ customer data or investigate your web browsing history. It does not represent the ‘death of online privacy.'”
“Even if the proposed rules had not been rejected, however, they would have had no effect on how data about your web browsing and other interactions with content providers are collected and used. Instead, the proposed rules would have only limited efforts by ISPs to enter the market for Internet advertising,” Downes writes. “That’s a market increasingly dominated by just two companies: Google and Facebook. As a new study from eMarketer noted earlier this month, Google now accounts for over 40% of the $83 billion digital ad market and nearly 80% of total US search ad revenues. With the two incumbents firmly in control of Internet advertising , the FCC’s proposed barriers to entry for new entrants, like similar efforts to keep Uber, Lyft, Airbnb and other sharing economy services from competing with established transportation and hotel companies, made no economic sense. Which is why Congress has now moved to reject the proposed rules permanently.”

Contributor

Thanks for the quote (which seems to be from Forbes based on a quick Google search).

But two wrongs don't make a right.  We need more restrictions on Google and Facebook privacy invasion for targeted advertising, but in the meantime we shouldn't be using what they do as  a justification for allowing other companies to further diminish our privacy rights.

We shouldn't be surprised by what's happening because this is the same congress and administration that has decided to kill the net neutrality efforts of the previous administration.   Elimination of net neutrality is something that very clearly *favors* ISPs and large businesses, while hurting budding entrepreneurs as they face the possibility that their content will be transmitted more slowly than the big guys'.

Cable Expert

Rick1361 wrote:

But two wrongs don't make a right.  We need more restrictions on Google and Facebook privacy invasion

I don't think it's the same. Google or Facebook are free services. We willingly trade our data for the products they offer. I pay my ISP for a service, there is no benefit to me when they sell my data.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

nerdburg wrote:

Rick1361 wrote:

But two wrongs don't make a right.  We need more restrictions on Google and Facebook privacy invasion

I don't think it's the same. Google or Facebook are free services. We willingly trade our data for the products they offer. I pay my ISP for a service, there is no benefit to me when they sell my data.

Excellent point.

Service Expert

barbie123 wrote:

Congress’s disapproval does not authorize ISPs or anyone else to ‘sell’ customer data or investigate your web browsing history. It does not represent the ‘death of online privacy.'”
“Even if the proposed rules had not been rejected, however, they would have had no effect on how data about your web browsing and other interactions with content providers are collected and used. Instead, the proposed rules would have only limited efforts by ISPs to enter the market for Internet advertising,” Downes writes.made no economic sense. Which is why Congress has now moved to reject the proposed rules permanently.”

This needs a citation as to source.  In the future, please provide only a snippet of a quote and provide a link to the article.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon