Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Pixelated HD Channels and Service charge to fix?

ANSWERED
New Poster

Pixelated HD Channels and Service charge to fix?

At the end of March, beginning of April we started having trouble with Comcast HD.  The pictures were pixilated to the point that you had to find a channel that was not HD and change the channel manually so the channel you wanted to watch did not automatically switch to HD.  I called tech service, and they ran all their tests and said they could not resolve the problem, and that they would have to send a tech.  I told them that nothing had changed inside the house, so it had to be an outside problem, and that I wanted the tech to check outside first, figuring that as soon as he stepped foot inside, we would get nailed with a service charge.  I did not set up an appointment, but took my HD box out to Comcast and swapped it for a new one, in case that was the problem.  Came home to set it up and had to call Comcast to activate the new box.

The problem was not solved.

I called again a couple days later (when I had some hours free figuring it would take hours on the phone), and tried to explain everything to a woman I could hardly understand.  She ran tests and couldn't resolve the problem and suggested I get a new HDMI cable (I had already swapped that out too) but that wasn't it either. She asked if the box was new and I said yes - I had just exchanged it for a new one, but that had not helped.  So she said she would have to send a tech.  I again told them that nothing had changed inside the house, so it had to be an outside problem, and that I wanted the tech to check outside first, so we wouldn't have a service charge.  She said she had no control over that.

So I get the Service Call reminder e-mail, and it has us being scheduled for an INSTALLATION appointment for $79.99.  I call Comcast and tell them this isn't for an install but for a pixelated HD picture service call.  She says she can't go in and change anything, that I'll have to call after I get the bill and have it changed.  So, obviously when I told the prior lady that it was a new box, she misunderstood when I had said I swapped it out in a effort to fix the picture problem, that it was a new box, not new service.

So after 4 days, the tech arrives.  Before he comes in the house, I tell him this is not a new install, which he has on his orders, but a problem with pixelated HD channels that we have had for about 3 weeks now.  He can see the TV from outside the door.  I said the problem could't be inside because nothing had changed, it had to be outside, and I didn't want to be charged for a service call.  He said it he had a hunch about what it could be and wanted to look at the wiring, so I let him in.  The first thing he does is undo the cable line, and says the cable is obviously old because it is shielded with copper and not aluminum, so he swaps out a couple cables - one in the basement, and one at the TV.  A few of the HD channels actually clear up and are no longer pixilated, but some are just as bad.  He ends up going out to the pole and making some changes to the cable and cable ends at the pole as well, and then all our pictures clear up!

So I ask him why changing from copper to aluminum makes a difference.  He said about 3 weeks earlier (not coincidental) Comcast changed the frequency on a number of their HD channels, so if you have lines that are copper shielded, they are not adequate for a clear signal.  Changing cables inside corrected a certain range of frequencies, but the signal from the pole had to be cleaned up to cover the other frequency bands.

So ultimately, the COMPLETE fix was at the pole, but the problem began when Comcast made a change to their service by changing their frequencies.

Soooo, if you knew this might be an issue, why wouldn't you alert your customers that they may see a collapse of their HD service, and that the problem could be easily corrected?

As a side note, the tech was great.  Fixed the problem and explained exactly what it was and why it had happened - obviously not his first repair of this nature.

Since this was ultimately an outside problem, why do I have the 79.99 charge on my bill (with a $20 credit - but why is the charge there at all?)?

I wanted to post this (rather than just call customer service) in case anyone else was having this problem, plus I also wanted to make other customers aware that if this is happening to their picture, this may be why.

I'd like my bill to be credited for the $59.99.  Billing - can you help?

I was also not happy that additional boxes went from $3.99/mo to $5.99/mo., so I returned 2 boxes and put 2 TVs on $12 antennas from Best Buy.  My HD signal is better with the antenna!!  These are 2 TVs where I don't care if I have extra channels - my local ones come in beautifully!

Accepted Solution

Re: Comcast service charge?

Hello Sue139,

Thank you for posting! I certainly apologize for any frustration you experienced during the troubleshooting and fix process. I have removed the install fee. If you have any further questions or concerns in the future please reach back out. 

View answer in context
Problem Solver

Hello Sue139,

Thank you for posting! I certainly apologize for any frustration you experienced during the troubleshooting and fix process. I have removed the install fee. If you have any further questions or concerns in the future please reach back out. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Thank you very much ComcastMatthew!

New Poster

ComcastMatthew,

Can my bill be updated in MyXfinity please?  I have always disliked the "pay the big bill now and then we'll credit you on next month's bill" process.  If the charge is truely removed, It would be nice to see that reflected immediately, so I don't have to dish out unnecesary cash to Comcast when it could be used towards my other monthly bills.

Thank you for your help!

Sue139

Problem Solver

Hello Sue139,

I cannot expedite the rate at which the system is updated. However I can give you the current balance after the credit in a private message.  

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Re: Pixelated HD Channels and Service charge to fix?

I believe this may be my problem as well. My problem is intermittent and I had to pay a tech who changed some of the connectors (charged me) and left. Problem still occurs and I noticed that it diminishes and sometimes stops if I use the "C" function, reducing the screen size. I then roll back after a perios of time and the problem is less apparent. How can I call Comcast and convince them that the problem is theirs without another routine service call where the tech charges me and the intermittent problem still exist? Is there a way where I can talk to a level 2 person?

New Poster

Re: Pixelated HD Channels and Service charge to fix?

HAPPENED TO ME TOO.   I CALLED AND GOT ALL CHARGES REVERSED.  WENT BACK TO SD. THE END

I AGREE, THEY SHOULD HAVE NOTIFIED CUSTOMERS OF THE CHANGES SO WE ARE ALL AWARE OF WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND WHAT NEEDS FIXED.   I HAD 2 REPAIR GUYS COME OUT, UNAWARE, AND DID ALL KINDS OF WIRE CHANGES AND I STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM SO I WENT BACK TO SD.  A SAVINGS EVERY MONTH OF $10.

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation