members

online now

discussions

Misleading ETF for Xfinity Home Security

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 5

I feel my family was mislead regarding early termination fees associated with the home security service.

When we decided to explore subscribing to Xfinity, we took a family trip to the nearest store in order to interact with the equipment and talk with a representative. Our experience was pleasant and we decided to switch after 13 years of being a DirecTV customer. During our interaction, we decided on the TV and internet service and were pleased with the price. When it came time to close the deal, the sales rep said, "you should get home security, it won't cost you anything extra." If I recall correctly, I believe that he also said that it would actually save us $10 a month. My wife and I both stated, "what's the catch?", to which he repilied, "there's no catch, just part of the package." Feeling we had no reason not to believe what he was stating, we said ok. We were happy with the install and the service after the sale.

About a year later, we needed to move unexpectedly. The area where we were moving does not have Comcast as a provider. I called customer service in order to prepare for cancelling service. I enjoyed a pleasant interaction with the representative and was made aware that I would receive a final bill after service was discontinued and that an ETF would apply. However, she did not provide me with any information regarding what the fee would be.

Fast forward 6 weeks...We received a final bill (along with the associated credit card transaction) that included an ETF of $160 and another ETF of $450. I was out of state and wasn't available for immediate follow-up. My wife decided to call and inquire about the very unexpected $450, and to see what it was actually for. The billing does not specify to what each ETF is related. She was disconnected 3 times before getting through to an associate. After this, she was transferred 6 times before someone would provide an answer to what the $450 fee was for.

We are fair-minded people and understand the practice concerning early termination of service and associated fees. However, we feel that we were mislead into signing up for a service we weren't looking for in the first place. If we had known that there was risk of an additional and extremely punitive early termination fee for the security product, we would have never agreed to add it to our service. I hope that Comcast can provide assistance regarding what we feel as an unfair charge. Up to this point, we held the company in high regard. I would hope that we will be treated fairly regarding this matter and will be able to reconsider our outlook.

4 REPLIES
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 2 of 5

Unfortunately you signed the contract without reading it (you are not the only one).  It contains the ETF info.. They rarely if ever waive ETF fees as it is not their fault for moving.  Good luck

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 3 of 5

Hi Greg45! The information provided by fpirelli is correct. It does state within the service agreement if you happen to relocate to a new service address while in the contract, and are not able to transfer them to the new address you would be held responsible for the Early Termination fees. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 4 of 5

For correct information regarding Early Termination Fees [ETFs] please read the sticky FAQ located here.

Please note that Early Termination Fees are expressly addressed in your Terms of Service Contract.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 5 of 5

Hello Greg45, the provided information is correct. There is a Home Security contract that is signed on the day of install. These ETF fees would apply. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.