Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Im done! Goodbye!

Posted by
New Poster
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 17

Ok....I have had enough.  I have been so tolerant and patient with you guys, but its gone too far now.  

Let  me start from the beginning.  Just under 2 years ago my DirectTv contract was coming to an end.  I saw an enticing add for a TV and Internet bundle that Comcast/Xfinity was offering that I decided to try out.  I made the call, set up the appointment and gave them my initial payment.

Install day comes, and some subcontracted installer shows up 3 hours after the time bracket I was told over the phone by the scheduler.  Consequently I missed a whole day of work instead of just going in late.  After a few hours he tells me that he cannot get a "good signal" and that he is going to have to reschedule and come back the following week.  I had service but my Internet wasn't capable of more than 4MB down and 1MB up...but hey atleast I had service right?!  The following week on the day that the technician told me to be there so he could come in and out of my home in order to get a better signal, I once again had to take a day off of work....and this time the technician wasn't late!!  No, not at all...he never showed up!  Now I work for the Federal Government, so I a required to get a very specific amount of hours every week.  When I don't I don't just lose pay, I lose vacation or sick days...paid leave...etc.  It's also a really tedious process just to get time off in the first place so you can bet that I was really unhappy. Nut I am extremely non-confrontational as well so when I called the local office to tell them what happened I found myself really downplaying the entire situation and suppressing my anger.  They rescheduled and a few days later I had to get more time off.  This time the guy showed up within the time bracket, and although he didn't get my Internet speeds up to the speed I was paying for and they advertised but it was just under 10MB down now and he said he would have to put in a work order.  Months went by, Ii called 1 time to see what was going on and Customer Service just blew me off entirely by never actually addressing the problem.  So I kinda just gave up, until  I mentioned it to the Comcast technician that needed access to my backyard a few weeks ago in order to set my neighbors up with service.  But really I have for 2 years just dealt with the slow service, and constant interrupt and disconnects.  

It has been just about 2 years now and I really just palnned on cancelling this winter when my contract was over, but the other day I get a phone call and  comcast says that my Internet has a problem and they want to fix it...I was shocked, even excited and truly considering staying with them depending on how the whole situation worked out.  So I scheduled something for yesterday!  And I eagerly awaited the technicians arrival.  My father developed Alzheimer at an early age, and it has been very aggressive.  I am his only daughter and my Mother passed away a few years ago...so I have to take care of him.  Sometimes his condition requires me to change palns and drop everything to take care of him.  That happened yesterday, and when I got a moment I gave Comcast a call to reschedule because I didnt want them to waste their time coming over if I am not going to be there.  Funny how I respect their time even though they have proven that mine doesnt mean a thing to them...

When I called to reschedule the lady that I talked to informed me that she didnt believe I wasnt home, and that I was just trying to keep my internet speed that is so much more than what I pay for.  And that I couldn't 'keep putting this off or they will shut off my service!!!'  Are you kidding me?  I have never had the advertised speed I pay for...not by a long shot.  I thought I was finally getting an upgrade, and getting speeds that allow me to watch Netflix without it stopping to buffer every 10 minutes!  This incredibly rude and overbearing woman had just told me that she "knew" I was avoiding them and threatened to disconnect my service in a pathetic and vulgar attempt to make me keep an appointment with them instead of caring for my father who just had a mild seizure.  So I start this account to file a complaint and even though I have copies and receipts of every check  I have mailed and bill I have paid and I know everything I have sent has been postmarked well before their respective due date...for some reason everysingle one of my payments this year has been marked as late or overdue.  Which is news to me...I know of 2 times in college that happened to me, but thats it.  I have never been so upset or insulted in my life...when your technician shows up tomorrow your cablebox and modem will be on the porch!  I'm done...you cant fix this!

But their is a brightside to this....my boyfriend just got me a new 'unlocked' cell phone that I am still learning how to use and in my rush to call and your company and ensure the tech never came, the same call this woman threatened me... I managed to turn on the record call function...in fact I cant get it to turn off and as soon as my boyfriend gets back into town I will have him turn it off and also get that conversation out of my phone and given to everybody and posted everywhere...local news channels....Social Media....really anyone who wants it...I just dont care anymore.  Sue me..please make this a big deal.  I don't care! It wont hurt me in the long run!

16 REPLIES
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 2 of 17

Would you like help? 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Admin1

Message 3 of 17

Hi Evoprice -- Sorry to hear about this experience. This is not what we would want for you or any other customer. I reviewed your account in regards to the interaction you had with yesterday's agent however I was unable to verify that the agent made these accusations. I did confirm that the agent let you know your service would be shut off. The reason the agent told you this because the job we have setup is to come fix signal leakage, also known as signal noise. 

Signal leakage can disrupt many over-the-air communications for emergency services, air traffic control, and others. Because of this, we have to come out as quickly as possible to correct it. If access is not granted in a timely fashion, then your service can become interrupted as we'd have to stop the flow of signal to prevent further leakage from occurring. 

In regards to your service rates, we do have new rates available for you. I can go over prices with you if you're interested in receiving a lower price. Please let me know how you'd like to proceed. 

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
New Poster
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 4 of 17

So my friend who works at the Utah Data Center just came over to examine your apparent "Signal Leak over the waves" and unless you're modem is capable of frequencies outside of the range of 1Mhz-28GHZ which he seems to think is impossible....then his equipment says there sure isnt anything like an "over the waves Signal leak"  He is asking for you to be more specific...and maybe you should listen to the second phone call...she threatened me...I hung up on her....she called back to justify her actions with her assumptions.  Dont make the same mistake she made and assume I'm a liar until you see what I have!  This is why I am posting this phone call. 

Posted by
Admin1

Message 5 of 17

Evoprice -- To be clear, I am not disputing what you have said. All I said was I was unable to verify that the agent made these accusations; meaning I could not verify what was said. 

Signal leakage, or signal noise, is the passage of radio frequency (RF) signal through the shielding of coaxial cable. Signal leakage can be caused by loose connectors, cracked or un-terminated cables, and/or a damaged plant. The FCC regulates signal leakage. You can read more about signal leakage directly from the FCC's website using this link to show that signal leakage is possible and does occur:  https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/cable-signal-leakage

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 6 of 17

Evoprice wrote:

So my friend who works at the Utah Data Center just came over to examine your apparent "Signal Leak over the waves" and unless you're modem is capable of frequencies outside of the range of 1Mhz-28GHZ which he seems to think is impossible....then his equipment says there sure isnt anything like an "over the waves Signal leak" ...

@ComcastZach is not making stuff up, cable is a closed radio (RF) system. If unwanted radio signal gets into the system (ingress) it's known as noise. Noise gets amplified in the return path. If noise emanates from your residence, it needs to be fixed because it can negatively impact service for other customers. If RF leaks out of the cable system (egress) it can indeed interfere with all kinds of communication devices since they operate on the same frequencies. This is why the FCC regulates signal leakage.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 7 of 17

I know what signal leakage is.  I mentioned I worked for the Federal Government?  I work at the NSA' Utah Data Center in Bluffdale and with a very expensive large suitcase sized SDR (Software Defined Radio) that is most certainly not available for civilian use, we checked my house for "Signal Leakage"  and lo and behold there is absolutely nothing coming off of anything in or around my home, that isnt within normal civilian operating frequencies.  And I am quite sure that this equipment is extremely accurate, more so than anything that is readily available to civilians.  I know what the FCC is...I know he isn't making things up.  I'm just asking how did you come to this conclusion?  Why have you narrowed it to my home?  And how could the standard Surfboard modem, and/or basic cable box  that Comcast provides ever be capable of producing any frequency on any band, create any sort of amplified noise that causes "signal Leakage" so severe that it has somehow become a hazzard to frequencies that this specific equipment can not typically reach, let alone interfere with?  And why is your equipment, able to see it, and pinpoint my home as the source, when what I have which is leaps and bounds more capable in every which way isn't seeing anything?  What is the frequency?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 8 of 17

And why did it take 2 years to find it?  ANd why is it suddenly a priority to fix?  And if I do let you fix it instead of my current plan to rip it out of the wall and leave it on the porch....are you going to make sure that I am compensated for the fact that I have never recieved the advertised speed from you guys?  Seriously...

Posted by
New Poster

Message 9 of 17

And let me be clear.  I am furious....I have been blown off as a customer and required to jump through your hoops and conform to your schedule and when I have to deal with you guys it's usually a very unpleasant experience.  But I have to say, thank you to both of you for putting some time into my specific issue.  Im not upset with you guys specifically just the corporation you work for.

Posted by
Admin1

Message 10 of 17

Evoprice -- We're able to pinpoint a leakage location by using a calibrated leakage receiver. These receivers are equipped to read directly in microvolts per meter. While the device you used may be state of the art, unless it's calibrated to take these measurements, it may not get the proper readings to show signal leakage. The procedure for making calibrated measurements for the Cumulative Leakage Index (CLI) calculation as prescribed by the FCC requires that the operator take his measurements using a horizontal dipole antenna, elevated three meters above the ground, and positioned three meters from the source of the leak. Procedures require the dipole antenna to be rotated in the horizontal plane to maximize the leakage signal, giving the highest reading on the calibrated leakage measurement receiver. This is how we're able to narrow down where leakage is coming from.

Generally, it wouldn't be your modem or set-top box that causes leakage to happen. Leakage most often occurs where shielding effectiveness is low and signal levels are high. This is why leakage is most common with loose/defective/damaged connectors, damaged lines, and/or bad splices. Leakage can occur at any time as those items can become damaged or degraded over time. That means that while leakage may not be present 2 years ago it can be occurring now due to those circumstances.

I reviewed your account and it doesn't show any reports of poor connectivity. The only tech visit your account shows was back in August 2016 for a TV issue. We wouldn't be able to provide any type of compensation for this issue since we haven't had a documented report of it until now. What I can do is offer you a reduced rate on your current package. You are currently paying regular rate for this package and we do have reduced rates available. This type of reduction can serve as compensation since the savings can be significant and in some cases be larger than what you'd be offered for compensation. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 11 of 17

I made it clear that I called once....and only once.  But looking back at the day you guys installed this, and the 2 or 3 times that it took just to do that, it shouldn't be difficult to figure out that something didn't go right. And please.  Rf is my job and the equipment that I have is more than state of the art....but a microvoltage issue that is more than likely somewhere between my home and your main hub on this block, and probably not in my home actually Is a lot different than an actual active frequency.  Now considering this SDR, can do things like Decode active Truncated signals in realtime and even with a LNA read and clone any RFID tag or card within a massivew range.  I dont think its my equipment missing something....in fact I'm willing to bet there is no signal, and instead someone else is probably complaining and you're going to lose customers, so now the low quality signal I have dealt with throughout my entire time with you guys... because the technicians that you sent to my home were to incompitent to follow up on or lazy to fix properly, and anybody who looked at the 2-3 seperate times it took to install my service would see that it was you guys that dropped the ball.  And please for the love of all that is good and holy....stop using the glossary of rf and microwave terms to try and explain how your equipmnt has never actually picked up any interference and simply has a microvoltage issue that you guys really hope is in my home because it would make this easier for you guys.  But no.....if you aren't able to make this entire unpleasant experience worth mytime.  Or offer some sort of compensation that I am just content with...not even happy...simply content. Then you pick up your equipment tomorrow and I will just include this post with the incredibly insulting and disrespectful conversation I accidently recorded....this is ridiculous. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 12 of 17

The reality is you have a problem next door, I watched one of your techs have a shocking experience with one of my neighbors charged lines fromtheir old Satelite setup.  Your welcome.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 13 of 17

Evoprice wrote:

I know what signal leakage is.  I mentioned I worked for the Federal Government?  I work at the NSA' Utah Data Center in Bluffdale and with a very expensive large suitcase sized SDR (Software Defined Radio) that is most certainly not available for civilian use, we checked my house for "Signal Leakage"  and lo and behold there is absolutely nothing coming off of anything in or around my home, that isnt within normal civilian operating frequencies. 

Comcast's system wouldn't flag egress, that would typically be found by a tech specifically monitoring the system for leakage. 

Why have you narrowed it to my home?

Commonly a Maintenance Tech is looking for noise that is causing issues for other customers. It's their job to find noise and eliminate it. They just trace the noise back to the source.

And how could the standard Surfboard modem, and/or basic cable box  that Comcast provides ever be capable of producing any frequency on any band, create any sort of amplified noise that causes "signal Leakage" so severe that it has somehow become a hazzard to frequencies that this specific equipment can not typically reach, let alone interfere with? 

It's not your modem or a cable box that is the issue, it's the RF being broadcast over the cable plant that is the issue.

And why is your equipment, able to see it, and pinpoint my home as the source, when what I have which is leaps and bounds more capable in every which way isn't seeing anything?  What is the frequency?

Comcast is most certainly talking about ingress to the cable plant not egress.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 14 of 17

Evoprice wrote:

And let me be clear.  I am furious....I have been blown off as a customer and required to jump through your hoops and conform to your schedule and when I have to deal with you guys it's usually a very unpleasant experience. 

Yeah, Comcast can be really good at annoying their own customers. I'd encourage you to let @ComcastZach try to make it right for you, he's a corporate employee and has a pretty good history of getting these issues resolved. 

But I have to say, thank you to both of you for putting some time into my specific issue.  Im not upset with you guys specifically just the corporation you work for.

If you're talking about me, I'm not an employee anymore Smiley Happy

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Admin1

Message 15 of 17

Evoprice -- It may be beneficial to see what your account health looks like. This is a current read of individual signal level. Your account health is showing multiple opt of spec signal levels. This account health reading confirms there is an issue present. I would encourage you to speak the tech who comes today to gather more details about this. He'll be able to shed more light on this as he'll be present to see these issues first hand.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Admin1

Message 16 of 17

Evoprice -- Following up on your visit today. I reviewed your account health and it is showing significant improvement. Are you seeing service improvement as well? Was the tech able to provide any further information on this noise issue? Looks like he also referred this job to our maintenance team for further assistance and full resolution. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Admin1

Message 17 of 17

Evoprice -- Our maintenance completed their work as well. Your account health looks great and you should be seeing service improvements now. Can you confirm please?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.