Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Hurricane Irma - XFINITY WiFi Hotspots Open for All

Cable Expert

Hurricane Irma - XFINITY WiFi Hotspots Open for All

From: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Hurricane-Irma-XFINITY-WiFi-Hotspots-Florida/td-p/295...

Hurricane Irma photo.jpg

Also South Carolina and Georgia 

September 6, 2017 - To help residents and emergency personnel stay connected if Hurricane Irma makes its anticipated landfall in Florida, Comcast is opening its more than 137,000 Xfinity WiFi hotspots throughout the state to anyone who needs them, including non-Xfinity customers, for free.

For a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots, which are located both indoors and outdoors in places such as shopping districts, parks and businesses, please visit Xfinity.com/wifi.

Once in range of a hotspot, select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots and then launch a browser.

Xfinity internet customers can sign in with their usernames and passwords and they will be automatically connected to Xfinity WiFi hotspots in the future.

Non-Xfinity internet subscribers should visit the “Not an Xfinity Internet Customer” section on the sign-in page to get started. Non-customers will be able to renew their complimentary sessions every 2 hours through September 15, 2017.

Comcast Preparations and Customer Tips for Hurricane Irma

Comcast is also making extensive preparations at its facilities throughout Florida, including staging emergency generators and fuel trucks as well as bringing in additional technical and network restoration teams that are ready to be deployed as the storm’s path becomes clearer.  

Comcast’s goal is to work to restore any services impacted for customers as quickly as possible and as soon as it is safe for its employees to do so.  Customers should remember that emergency management procedures in Florida dictate that power must be restored first and Comcast must receive clearance that it is safe for its crews to begin any restoration work.

If services are down in an area because of a power outage, local power must be restored before video, phone and internet services can begin working again.

Customer tips:

• The most effective way to get outage updates and information about Comcast services is to visit Xfinity.com/MyAccount or to access the Xfinity My Account app from any secure, internet-enabled mobile device.
  • If customers have electrical power but Xfinity service has not yet come back on, Comcast recommends that customers restart or reset devices, including wireless gateways, modems, routers and cable boxes.
  • Customers should unplug their equipment or use a surge protector to plug in TVs, modems and cable boxes so that when power is restored, those devices aren’t damaged by power surges.
  • Customers can post below for further assistance.

Last updated Sept 8, 2017

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Hurricane Irma - XFINITY WiFi Hotspots Open for All

This is not true, I went to my friends condo because he has power, and connected to the Xfinity WiFi open access.  Comcast only lets you use 1 hour for free, then they knock you off and will only let you back on if you subscribe to Xfinity WiFi.  What a scam.

Regular Visitor

While being sensitive to those being affected by Irma...Please help me understand why I will be routed to a public hotspot when logging in to my secured WiFi (which of course will no longer be secured).

If I'm understanding the article correctly, how is this a good idea for Comcast customers?

Moreso, the article states that's how it's going to be in the future. Am I the only one that's outraged about this?

Someone please tell me I'm reading this incorrectly!

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

are wifi hotspots still free in florida?

hi, are the wifi hotspots still free to use in florida for customers and non-customers?

New Poster

Yes, it's great that you guys offered free access to Hotspots around town but what good does a Hot Spot do if there's no electric at that location in order to provide the Hot Spot service. Second, what good does a Hot Spot do if there's not one in range of a person's home? I can't just get up in the middle of a hurricane and walk or drive to the nearest Hot Spot. Third, what good is providing links for a person to click on to check the status of a hurricane, when they don't have internet in the first place. Fourth, what good is providing apps for a person's cell phone, when they either don't have (Xfinity) wifi or, they don't have data service because the cell phone towers have issues? Plus, they can't be downloaded if the data service is not working.

I'm in Boynton Beach and had gone through Irma. My Xfinity service, cable tv and internet went out Sunday at 11:30 am, way well before the storm's worst point. We've had summer rainstorms here that were worse than what was coming through my area at this time. So now I had no idea what was going on with the storm. Since I couldn't watch Channel 5 news on TV or watch it on the internet (streaming), I then resorted to using my cell phone for streaming the news by using the Data on my cell phone. Half hour later, that went out and now I had to resort to a battery operated radio, which is not the same. This is very frustrating and scary not knowing what is going on.

Yes, I am very thankful I had electric and A/C the entire storm, but if i had a choice, I think i would rather know what is going on with the storm for safety reasons.

Because the power went out, Xfiniity/Comcast services went out for many customers here. Don't you guys have generators at your service locations, like Publix and many gas stations? Wouldn't that make sense in order to keep the services working?

In the meantime, after the storm, I talked to four of my neighbors that had AT&T Uverse. ALL FOUR OF THEM HAD TV AND INTERNET THE ENTIRE TIME! Everyone else, ah, had Xfinity/Comcast....they basically had "NOTHING"! Hmmm, I think it's time to make a switch...

Official Employee

Hello everyone,

We hope you and your loved ones are safe.

If you are experiencing a loss of XFINITY services due to severe weather conditions, please be aware that this could be the result of a local public power interruption and/or damage to our network that serves your neighborhood. We will work as quickly and safely as possible to restore your service, but please be aware that we typically must wait for local power companies to first restore power to your neighborhood and allow our teams into the area to repair our network. It is possible that power could be restored to your home but the XFINITY network serving your neighborhood is still affected, preventing XFINITY services from working. Local public power must also be restored at your home before XFINITY services can work properly.

The most effective way for you to get updates for active service events in your area and information about your Comcast service is to visit Xfinity.com/MyAccount or use the XFINITY My Account app on your secure, Internet-enabled mobile device. Within My Account, you can opt-in for a free one-time text alert to receive a text message once service in your area has been restored.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation