Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Hit the cable(too shallow)

New Poster

Hit the cable(too shallow)

Two part question.

If I were to request comcast replace the cable I hit with an aerator, will they charge even though it was buried less too shallow, less than 4 inches?

If I wanted to run the cable myself is there a retailer that sells quality quad rg6 so I wouldnt have to wait for shipping?  

Cable Expert

Re: Hit the cable(too shallow)

No, Comcast won't charge you for the repair. In some locations, it's standard for the line to just be buried under the sod. They should just run a new line for you (it's called a "drop"). You may be able to ask the installers to route the drop in a way that you won't hit it again or bury it deeper and use conduit.

You don't want to fix it yourself as you need special coax designed for direct bury. Let Comast fix it.

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Not knowing where you are located, it is difficult to recommend a retailer, better off with Amazon I suspect.

I do not think Comcast is using quad shield.  I would get a high quality, flooded cable such as Commscope.  Flooded in the cable venacular means it is gel filled.  It is nasty to work with sugggest wearing gloves.

Replacing a drop goes to the construction side of Comcast, typically a contractor for them.  You do not need to read too many stories on here to realize how unpredictable they are and tend to show up when they please, with no notification to you.  I also do not think they would comply with your request to bury it deeper and there is no NEC requirement to do so since it is low voltage. Consider using some PVC conduit, perhaps in just the areas where it is at risk. 

Of course as a TEMPORARY fix you could splice in a replacement section using weather proof connectors.

@jimbonez wrote:

Two part question.

If I were to request comcast replace the cable I hit with an aerator, will they charge even though it was buried less too shallow, less than 4 inches?

If I wanted to run the cable myself is there a retailer that sells quality quad rg6 so I wouldnt have to wait for shipping?  

Official Employee

Hello jimbonez. I can assist with alerting our Tech Ops team to visit your home and repair or replace your cable drop line. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation