New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Goodbye, Comcast

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Goodbye, Comcast

I have been a Comcast customer for over five years and from three different residences in two states.  I have lived at my current address for six months, and I've had a Comcast technician out to visit at least four times for the same issues.  Dropped connections.  Unstable connections.  They've "fixed" the problem more times than I can count.  I've had lines and splitters replaced, new lines run, signal levels tested and verified, modems replaced.  I've gone through numerous routers.  In short, I've jumped through all the hoops.  I had the same problem at both of my previous residences, and the results are always the same: Nothing changes.  At peak use times (and sometimes not even then), my connection is not reliable in any way, shape, or form.

Well, I've had enough.

It just so happens that Verizon FiOS was just installed in my neighborhood, and I am taking them up on their offer as soon as it goes live at the end of this month.   It can't come soon enough.  As it stands, I'm lucky to keep a stable connection for more than an hour in the evening during the week.   I don't know what the "real" problem is, because everyone I've talked to at Comcast has a different answer.  If they can't blame it on my router/lines/splitters, then it's something that's being "worked on".  It's ridiculous, and I'm tired of throwing my money away every month.

No longer does Comcast have a monopoly-like stranglehold on high speed internet service in my area, and I can only hope that the rest of you will be just as fortunate in the near future.  Everyone I know is flocking to the alternative in droves.  I would rather pay twice as much for service that actually works and is actually reliable - as advertised.

Goodbye and good riddance.  

Tags (1)
Problem Solver

Re: Goodbye, Comcast

I guess you and Valorum591 balance each other and make the universe whole.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=CustServ_CustServ&thread.id=675

Regular Visitor

I agree, my problems started when they upgraded their network. Instead of fixing whatever issues they have they prefer to shift the focus to their customers equipment. Then they want me to bundle my telephone with my internet and television. They can't seem to keep a reliable connection to the Internet since last November. I have FiOS being installed on Tuesday. It can't come soone enough.
New Poster

I'm on the verge of dumping comcast as well. I am getting the finger from both the cable tv and internet services.

I have only standard cable tv that I plug directly into my tv (no box at all). Since they are going all digital they gave me a box (at no charge/month) that I now need to plug into. fine. However, by doing so I no longer can get over the air HD signals because the free box is standard definition. If I want the HD box then I can pay them more money...no thanks.

Now my interenet has been horrendous in the past month. Always between midnite and 1:30 I get constant drops and on at least 2 occasions it went out completely. And when I call them up they confirm a scheduled maintenance. I can deal with the cable tv part (mostly) but when it comes to internet, sorry I won't settle for any outage especially since I am only on at nights. They have all day to **bleep** around with my connection while I'm at work but not those few hours at night when I need to get things done.

Lucky for me, astound is in my neighborhood. Hopefully FIOS will be here soon but astound will do for now.

New Poster

After just being on the line with 'Customer Service' and being told my modem is having issues, and then being told it will be 4 days before they will send a technician, I just contacted the phone company to make the change to DSL. I explained I could live without the internet but not without a phone for that long a time. They told me to contact my local office, I asked for the phone number, and they told me the local office phone number is unlisted, and they must be right, no local number for them in the yellow pages! Customer service at Comcast is a total joke. No more for me!!

Email Expert
Moved:

Your post was moved to a non-public forum. Posting insults violates the Forum Guidelines.

New Poster

I am having Verizon installed on Saturday. When I was taken off my bundle deal by Comcast for no reason, my contract does not end until November 2010, I tried to no avail to get this corrected. I was yelled at and told to take a moment to compose myself? The customer service rep told me I was wrong that my contract was over!!!  I wasn't even raising my voice! I have a copy of the email with evidence that my contract ends 11/10 not 5/10!!!!!!!!! I waited two weeks for the customer contract fulfillment dept to respond to my complaint and am told it is still in the works. Meanwhile I am being charged 260.00 a month for what I used to pay $180 for!!!!

I will not only be cancelling Comcast, I am taking them to small claims since they owe me money and they need to credit my account!!! They broke their contract and if I did that I would be penalized so should they!!

Gold Problem Solver

I have requested that an Adminstrator review your post.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Visitor

I understand your frustraton.

In my neighborhood they are the only high speed providers.  As soon as FIOS is here I am leaving.  unfortunately I signed up for 2 years.  By doing so I was promised a cheaper rate together with some free movies (but not the taxes) and a camera.  I never got the camera as they emailed me the invoice (never got the regular one) and I did not wanted a comcast email address and now they say I was not in good standing with my payments in the first 3 months. Well, end May I got a letter telling me that the battery in the modem was missing or not working anymore and I had to call them to order a new one (dummies, if you know the battery needs to be replaced forward one to me, don't let do your job- I am paying you enough).  So, I called and was promised a new battery within 10 business days.  After 2 weeks still nothing, so I called back and got the answer that the manufacturer could not follow the demand (why not advising your customers about it??).  Finally after 2 months (begin Aug)  I got the battery.  This customer services S....

When my contract is up I hope FIOS is here and GOODBYE!!

Frequent Visitor

I only wish FIOS was offered where I live.  Unfortunately, comcast has a monopoly in my area.  The very second a competitor arrives, I will be leaving.  Even considering not having internet at home, because offering money to a company that clearly does not value its customers makes me a little bit sick to my stomach.

I keep getting offers on packages with comcast, only to have auditing deny the packages and increase my bill.  I keep getting surprise bills, in other words.  Customer loyalty offers me a package, auditing denies it.  Comcast wins, because they keep me as a customer for one more month, leading me on and perhaps hoping that I will have a change of heart at some point, or perhaps even give up.

Verizon, ATT, please come to my neighborhood.  When you do, perhaps you can regulate each other on price and service.  Competition is a good thing.

New Poster

We have had all the exact same issues, and I am currently dealing with unstable connections, both internet and cable. I think we will be changing to Quest High speed, and Direct-TV. For the amount of money that comcast charges, this service should work, and work all the time, it's really frustrating.

Frequent Visitor

I think it's time for us to be more responible. I think that we should start reporting these

issues to your State Attorney Generals Office. They'll investigate.

Also report your issues to BBB ( better business bureau online) in your state.

Report to U S Attorney Generals Office. I believe, but not sure...this may fall under interstate commerce.

If enough people report these issues, the Feds may step in  and investigate.

New Poster

I will cancel Comcast; after they installed boxes, I keep loosing connection, my TV turns on and off by itself, Comcast was not able to fix the problem. Also, my bill went up, they increased price and it is too much now. Moreover, my electrical bill went up as boxes have to be on all the time. I am very disappointed

Frequent Visitor

Don't blame you. After taking over handling our bills from my wife I found that COmcast has been billing me for a DVR I have never had. This has been going on for at least a yearand probably longer. In addition they signed me up for the shared DVR service without asking me if I wanted it and tacked that charge onto my account.

When I called customer service 2 weeks ago I was told that they would look into the overcharges and that I would be called back on my cell phone. At that point I had already replaced Comcast with a regional provider (I'm luckier than most and do have other choices besides Comcast) and told the CSR to discontniuue my service.

Well here we are 2 weeks later and they haven't called (no surprise there that's the typical modus operandi) and they haven't disconnected my service and I can't get through to customer service because they "cannot complete your call at this time"

Note to Comcast..........quit blowing smoke up peoples butts about how you're working to improve customer service. You don't care, you've never cared and until somebody at the top is willing to force a change down the food chain you will never care.

All you want is that check in advance of services rendered each month. Imagine a fist held up with the middle finger extended.

New Poster

Mine tv keeps turning on and off as well. I had the techs out and I was told that couldn't happen, and it has never been fixed.

New Poster

We agree with you completely. We have found that customer service doesn't care, and all Comcasts commercials just make us laugh and laugh I can't believe what a joke they are, and we have never had one tech come in our home with shoe covers on. 

New Poster

on the same lines, just wanted to record my dissatisfaction with Comcast as well

I lived in Glenburnie.MD and had Comcast's 15Mbps connection which was sufficient for three laptops. later we moved to Baltimore,MD and took a new connection under the same plan. but the internet speed was very less in range of 1-2 Mbps. we had our own modem hence rented comcast's wireless router. called cutomer care to explain the low speed problem, they told the setup is different b/w county side and downtown so we cant expect the same speed though we have the same plan and pay the same amount but sent the technition to address the less speed issue. technition came, did some tests and suggested going to higher speed plan.  so, we opted for 20Mbps plan but still the speed didn't increase. called in customer care to explain the issue again, they sent the technition to address it, no help. we called again after copule of months as we never got speed above 3 or 4 Mbps for 4 moths since we took the new connection at Baltimore address. customer care recommended going for the highest speed available with them, the "Extream 50". by that time the number of devices that connects to WiFi router grew up to 6 hence we opted for that with the belief that it will bring the speed up. but, did not get any noticeable difference in speed, after couple of months called customer service, they sent a technition. only then he found that the modem we had is a older one and recommended owning/renting a higher speed modem. they installed the Doc3.0 modem which is capable of 120meg. even then no noticeable difference in speed. we rarely got speed upto 6 Mbps, thats all. called customer care many times and they asked us to do the usual check up of, disconnect, connect reboot. nothing helped. lost 100 mobile mins a month talking with comcast about the internet issues. we got only upto 6meg for about 10 months while paying for the 50meg connection, sometimes the speed goes down to 100-200kbps. we had to move to a new apartment with in the same building hence thought of switching to a different service provider(Verizon)  as we were completely dissatisfied with the comcast service. decided to try with comcast one last time and called customer service, they fixed an appointment after 4 working days as usuall for a technition visit. technition came, he called comcast and did some connection setting change, hooked the laptop directly to the modem and tested the speed. it bumped upto 50meg in speed test, for the first time after paying for 50meg connection for an year. he identified there may be an issue with the wireless router and recommended getting a new N series router from netgear since the one we had(g series) is a older one. we placed an order and it arrived in couple of days. i have seen speed upto 40 meg then. ok all done. its time to move to new apt. requested comcast for transfer of service to new address, they scheduled an appointment after 4 working days, technition came and installed the modem at new apt and told there is no signal at apt outlet hence the preposting needs to be done at the juntion box which will be done by service person from another division of comcast then he left. called customer service the same day(wednessday) and asked for status. they said a technition will be at apt to do the preposting in 48 hours. waited till thursday evening and called them to remind. they got my mobile number again and told that i will get a call to notifiy on when the technition will come. no calls on Friday. Saturday and Sunday their customer service is closed. no internet/TV connection at new apt. for 4 days. got a call on Monday, to be informed, the technition will arrive on tuesday. got frustrated and asked them is it possible to have the techinition today itself as its already 96 hours past. answer was, 'no'. not even a 'sorry, thats not possibble'. they told the first slot avaiable is on tuesday 7am-10am, i said yes for with out waiting for the next option as i needed to have internet badly. the second part is installing the modem and router. they told, for that a different person has to arrive at a later slot which is 10am-1pm. to be at home for 7am-1pm i need to take a day off. its the worst customer service, dont care about customers convenience. also, they dont know how to talk to the customers.

overall.. totally dissatified !

Service Expert

castme, instead of having a tech set up the modem and router, can you do it yourself? It isn't hard to do at all, and if you run into problems you can post in the networking forum for assistance.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I agree. It seems like when Xfinity gets to your area the service gets even worse. I'm researching now to figure out what I could use here.

I find the Comcast employees fine, but the products and services are TERRIBLE! 

I hope they go bankrupt.... We need real alternatives to the monopoly.

Tags (1)
Email Expert

NeedAnAlternati wrote:

I hope they go bankrupt.... We need real alternatives to the monopoly.

Just what we need, more people out of work.  Btw, What do people expect if there ARE alternatives to Comcast?  In fact, FIOS is here in my area.  I get junk mail from them every week.  It has not made any difference in the quality of service or cost of my service.  In fact, here in Maryland Verizon has already been fined by the state for their absolutely terrible customer service as the primary telephone utility so why would I be eager to get more wervices from them?

Additionally, just because there is only one cable/broadband provider in an area that does not mean it's a monopoly.  In many areas, including here, other cable and broadband companies were given access.  However, if an area is already saturated by one provider it makes very poor financial judgemeny to invest in the infrastructure to build out on the possibility that enough customers will jump ship to make it profitable.  Even Verizon has made it very clear that they are only offering FIOS in those areas that they think can afford it.  In other words, Verizon is not going near less affluent areas.  Wow, what a concientious company.

mady

>

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

While I'm not advocating unemployment, I'm pretty sure that Comcast not being in business wouldn't put too many people in the US out of work. Actually, increasing the number of companies providing services would likely result in hiring more technical, marketing, sales, database, office support, and facilities services employees. Anyway, to alleviate your fears, here are some excerpts from my most recent chat with Comcast not-Customer Service: 

Realyn > Please make sure that all your connections are secured because I am seeing here that your equipment if offline.

ME> ???

Realyn > I cannot reset your modem and send a provisioned your modem.

ME> connections are secured? you mean plugged in?

Realyn > Yes.

ME> a provisioned your modem?

Realyn > I understand, If I am on your position, I feel the same way too.

Realyn > I see  but no worries, we are open to your suggestion to improve our service for our beloved customer like you.

ME> Well, infrastructure that is functional would go a long way. Smiley Happy

Realyn > I understand that you a very worry about the charge and the equipment, but no worries, please tell Comcast if you have an issue with our technician and services and we will be happy to answer and resolve the issue for you.

ME > That sentence doesn't make sense. I've been telling you that I have an issue. 

Frequent Visitor

Good on you for leaving. I will be on the same boat soon.

New Poster

I cancelled my Comcast service yesterday. After two months of intermittent internet service and an absolute refusal by Comcast to assist I decided I would rather find another provider. I called every couple of days only to be walked through the same dialogue that essentially proved that the service was still not working. This was my highlight from a conversation I had with a "customer service" representative:

Dani Mae(Mon Sep 19 15:38:10 MDT 2011)>

for us to fix your connection You need to test if the problem is with your router

Dani Mae(Mon Sep 19 15:38:25 MDT 2011)>

So you cannot waste your money sending out a technician when the problem is only the router

_(Mon Sep 19 13:38:39 MDT 2011)>

I did that last week when I spoke with Daryl on the phone

_(Mon Sep 19 13:38:59 MDT 2011)>

I am wasting my money now because I am paying for internet that does not work.

Dani Mae(Mon Sep 19 15:40:13 MDT 2011)>

Please let me help you fix that first, then I can send out  a technician if it still will not work.

Dani Mae(Mon Sep 19 15:40:24 MDT 2011)>

May I know how are you connected to your internet right now?

_(Mon Sep 19 13:41:10 MDT 2011)>

I am at my place of employment because the internet at my house doesn't work.That is why I am contacting you. Are we on the same planet?

_(Mon Sep 19 13:41:22 MDT 2011)>

How do I go about cancelling my service with comcast?

What a joke.

New Poster

First, I'd like to see a comcast representative respond to one of these posts. This is a problem, 14-year-olds who serve ice cream could teach the comcast representatives a thing or two about customer service.

Hilariously, I tried about 20 variations of the username "Frustrated" and they were all taken. That should tell ya something right there.

I've never experienced such poor customer-to-HOLD-to-comcast associate-to-HOLD.. service and that includes outtings to the DMV and fun calls about student loans. During our last memorable moment with comcast's customer service, I was transferred three times, cut off once, then redirected once yet again, put on hold for that person's supervisor and then was told that the department I need to talk to wasn't open at this time. 

We're cancelling our service. 

Frequent Visitor

Yep done. Now my tv's not hooked up to a box need one oh, plus the $220 per month where is power goes out and I have a generated house I still have no cable. So I will keep them for internet maybe....Directv saves me $1200 year one and anothe $600 year two and DVR etc...is free plus some nice percs like NFL package and free HBO CONIMAX etc... for three months. AND I had a referal freind which is $10 less a month for the referer and me ! I just waited 20 minutes on the phone to ask what happened to my non-boxed TVs and this forum answered it, enough is enough. I re-eveluate in two years while stuffing almost 2k into my wallet and in power outages have full service no matter how many days...

Frequent Visitor

you know i really cannot blame you cause this company tears out of our pockets and loves to overcharge. There use to be a lower bill for the triple play and it was $99.00 a month but now it is 109.99 cause of xfinity you are not getting xfinity it is still comcast and there are so many installers suing comcast just go to www.comcastrateclass.com and see what is going on someone got the B**** to sue these people i will shake their hand

Cable Expert

madylarian wrote:

Additionally, just because there is only one cable/broadband provider in an area that does not mean it's a monopoly.  In many areas, including here, other cable and broadband companies were given access.  However, if an area is already saturated by one provider it makes very poor financial judgemeny to invest in the infrastructure to build out on the possibility that enough customers will jump ship to make it profitable.

That's pretty much the definition of "monopoly". It's a market structure in which a single seller dominates a trade or services for which buyers can find no close substitutes. Technically Comcast generally operates as an "oligopoly". That is they operate in a market with relatively few competitors due to high start up costs. Either way it has the same result -- many customers have no choice but to use Comcast if they want high-speed internet or advanced TV services. Comcast does well by offering products and services that people want and for which they are willing to pay a premium. They would rather not lose customers to poor customer service, but they are more profitable now than ever. Why should they change their business model?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Cable Expert

dav332 wrote:

you know i really cannot blame you cause this company tears out of our pockets and loves to overcharge. There use to be a lower bill for the triple play and it was $99.00 a month but now it is 109.99 cause of xfinity you are not getting xfinity it is still comcast and there are so many installers suing comcast just go to www.comcastrateclass.com and see what is going on someone got the B**** to sue these people i will shake their hand

Comcast gets sued every day. They have a whole building full of lawyers and they have deep pockets so it's an uphill battle for the little guy.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I've been trying rto cancell my service for 2 days with no luck because I'm kepot on hold, its rediculous. Do you know if it can be cancelled on line?

Thx

Frequent Visitor

unfortunately no

Contributor

I will soon be saying goodbye, too but let me add GOOD RIDDANCE. I am sick of having to deal with all their  so-called "customer service reps"--excuse me, just delete the "customer service" part of it and what you have left is what answers the phones at their call centers, simply "reps". I have NEVER seen a poorer excuse of employees working for Comcast. Everytime i need to call them to get any type of info, NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING, including the supervisors. They add an international channel to the local programming guide which i would like to subscribe to and it says "available" but when you call the channel is NOT available and no one knows why. Dare you ask "when might the channel be available"? Or dare you ask "why is the channel newly programmed onto the programming guide if it's not now or won't be available"? Why bother asking because again, NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING. Well, give credit where credit is due for them offering to try and find an answer--they even take your phone number promise to call you back but guess what? NO ONE EVER CALLS YOU BACK.  This time i got wise and wrote down names, including the clueless so-called robo-supervisor who sounded like he was reading from a script and could care less what i wanted. Then i sent a doozie of a complaint letter complete with employee names off to Rick Germano, VP of Customer Service. Thank goodness Verizon Fios has just arrived at my condo and the installation is complete so i will be switching.  When is Comcast going to realize that their employees are their worst downfall and probably partly responsible for them losing business? At this point, WHO CARES

Cable Expert

stacy68 wrote:

I've been trying rto cancell my service for 2 days with no luck because I'm kepot on hold, its rediculous. Do you know if it can be cancelled on line?

Thx

You should take your equipment to your local office and get a receipt. It's the best way to cancel.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I know this is an old post but I could not resist. You replied to nevern02. You seem to be a Comcast supporter which is not a bad thing but you did not reply about how you felt about his post.

I have had good and bad experiences with Comcast. In the last thirty years we left Comcast for five or six months for Comcast and came back. We came back for our email addresses this time if we leave that will not be a problem. We had established so much over the years with email that we needed to retrieve all of that. Luckily our addresses we still available.

Good or bad you pay for a service with this company and when you do not receive it of course you are going to leave. If my connection was disrupted as much as his I would be long gone. His post was understandable. We hae been there. We had so much pixelation on televisions and internet at one time Comcast trucks lived at our address until a supervisor finally personally came to our home and oversaw the work and just to put a cherry on top checked our personal network. We still have pixelation from time to time have switched out boxes over and over, but the internet - its been great since then. We are a family that can take the television on the fritz temporarily - but never the internet.

I have a HOT SPOT on my phone now. It's not perfect but I am rethinking how to receive services we want. People want service and are willing to pay - if services do not perform...well the servicer should expect to be dropped - period.

Your reply did not reflect someone who pays for service - I assume you work for the company.

New Poster

I too have just had my last straw broken....am researching new service and am cancelling comcast as soon as I can get the order placed and an appointment made. The "Retention Team" is a joke, and does everything BUT retain a customer....unlike Directv, which values their loyal customers that pay on time..by offering better services at a lower price to current customers, instead of forcing services you dont want for a higher price, like Comcast is trying to do. The Comcast website clearly shows a double play package for current customers for 79.95....but if you haven't paid the FULL price for services for at least six months...you do not qualify for the special....nowhere on the website or special is this indicated.??? Well I don't feel I should have to pay over $175.00 a month for tv, internet, and an hd dvr, with no extra movie channels, when I can get the same thing elsewhere for almost $100.00 less per month. The customer service, sales, and retention team experience I just went through convinced me to spend my money elsewhere.